An Astroturf Pitch At Firhill?

Jaggernaut

Project Brave is a bad idea for Scottish football and will simply reduce the pool of available young talent and concentrate it at a few of the bigger clubs.

As for astroturf, we are going to have to accept that as the future at most Scottish clubs. Our youngsters play on it more and more as there are not enough grass pitches to go round. At kids level the standard of pitch is shocking and doesn't allow decent passing football and during the winter they are often unplayable anyway. If we do get more indoor facilities they will be astro too. A whole generation is learning to play on astroturf and in less than a decade only the richest clubs that can afford the best in turf technology will have grass. We are not one of those clubs.

Without knowing all the details, Project Brave is beginning to sound like another way to keep the smaller clubs in their place - like all-seater stadia, minimum seating requirements, undersoil heating, etc, etc.

It will be a very tough decision for Thistle - keep the academy and risk going bust, or do away with it and lose the supply of good young players and the possible future revenue from selling them on.

Having never seen an enjoyable game on artificial grass, I'd hate it if we went down that road.

• Like 4

Totally against astroturf (certainly at our current level) and most likely wouldn't renew my season ticket. That's just a subjective point of view but objectively if the bigger picture is to develop home gown talent to produce a better international team why then play on a surface that is alien to most international football.

Without knowing all the details, Project Brave is beginning to sound like another way to keep the smaller clubs in their place - like all-seater stadia, minimum seating requirements, undersoil heating, etc, etc.

It will be a very tough decision for Thistle - keep the academy and risk going bust, or do away with it and lose the supply of good young players and the possible future revenue from selling them on.

Having never seen an enjoyable game on artificial grass, I'd hate it if we went down that road.

That's precisely what it is. Restrict the most promising young players to a small handful of clubs (two and maybe 3 or 4 others), thereby perpetuating the status quo in the future. (Apologies to Rick.)

I can see the financial sense in an artificial pitch. I would hate to see one at Firhill though.

Football development strategy is clearly not my forte. Having a smaller pool of youngsters, with less experience of first team football is how we're going to improve the international team?

The most important thing for me is to see decent football played. Not bothered about the surface.

It's a lot more difficult to pass the ball on a bad grass pitch than it is on an artificial one. Let's not forget how awful it was to watch some games at Firhill during the Warriors tenure. I firmly believe that the awful condition of the pitch held us back for those years. The fact that we won the league as soon as the Rugby left backs that up to an extent.

I certainly wouldn't stop going to games because of a decision which in many ways is unavoidable for the club.

Don't like artificial pitches but in reality it could be a nice money earner for the club, after the initial outlay. If they make it available for general hire, they could open the bars etc. I know back in the days when I played 5s the first place we headed after the game was straight to the bar.

After a 3-0 mauling at Rugby Park a few seasons ago I vowed to never watch a game again that is played on an artificial surface. I have kept to that 100%. Watching something akin to football with the baw stoating all over the place and players feart to put in a full bodied tackle. nah nah its not fur me.

That could be the biggest decision I will ever have to face with watching the Jags. As someone who donated to pay for the centre of what looks to be a great new grass park I have to say I would likely sign out. There I said it. I wouldn,t be back.

No for me football has to stay on grass. There are somethings that shouldn,t be sold out whatever the reason. This is one of them.

Those statements by Archie sound like fishing. Say something so the club can gauge the reaction.

Hope this now gets brought up big style at the much publicized Jags Trust meeting. As the Colonel from Monty Python would say "Silly..This is just silly"

• Like 1

I don't know the detail of the project Brave initiative. In that context I don't understand why the Jags are concerned about being involved or more to the point missing out on involvement. The article indicates it will be more expensive therefor it's not about funding, however Archie seems to be concerned about missing out on talent but surely the point of an academy is to develop talent? Does that mean that the best talent will be forced to move to the elite academies?

But if a mixed message coming from Firhill sure I read an article from Max saying he wasn't too bothered about not being in the Elite club!

I certainly feel I would lose some passion for the club & Firhill in general if we went down the artificial route. Without a really strong commercial argument I would urge them to forget it.

• Like 1

After a 3-0 mauling at Rugby Park a few seasons ago I vowed to never watch a game again that is played on an artificial surface. I have kept to that 100%. Watching something akin to football with the baw stoating all over the place and players feart to put in a full bodied tackle. nah nah its not fur me.

That could be the biggest decision I will ever have to face with watching the Jags. As someone who donated to pay for the centre of what looks to be a great new grass park I have to say I would likely sign out. There I said it. I wouldn,t be back.

No for me football has to stay on grass. There are somethings that shouldn,t be sold out whatever the reason. This is one of them.

Those statements by Archie sound like fishing. Say something so the club can gauge the reaction.

Hope this now gets brought up big style at the much publicized Jags Trust meeting. As the Colonel from Monty Python would say "Silly..This is just silly"

I'm with you all the way.

No tournament final will ever be played on an artificial surface. Skillful players dont need to play on a plastic pitch to progress, they are either good or they're not.

Grass rules OK

• Like 1

I don't know the detail of the project Brave initiative. In that context I don't understand why the Jags are concerned about being involved or more to the point missing out on involvement. The article indicates it will be more expensive therefor it's not about funding, however Archie seems to be concerned about missing out on talent but surely the point of an academy is to develop talent? Does that mean that the best talent will be forced to move to the elite academies?

But if a mixed message coming from Firhill sure I read an article from Max saying he wasn't too bothered about not being in the Elite club!

I certainly feel I would lose some passion for the club & Firhill in general if we went down the artificial route. Without a really strong commercial argument I would urge them to forget it.

Agree with the lack of information people have about on Project Brave. I did some quick Googling last night but most of what I got was Daily Record/ Sunday Mail links. Seems to target the issue of too many players in the academies that will never make it as a first time player.

Also they are/ we're looking at lower league teams drafting the cream of the academies on loan at the start of each season.

Interesting that some areas have pooled resources, namely Fife - Dunfermline, Raith Rovers, East Fife and possibly Cowdenbeath and Forth Valley - Falkirk, Stirling Albion and East Stirlingshire.

Interesting that the much vaunted Falkirk Academy doesn't actually exist. Also these three clubs have artificial surfaces but the centre for training is Stirling University.

So basically I think this issue stemmed from Archie's thoughts on the new Elite Academies and how we go about it. I think we could have an Elite team and a grass surface at Firhill if we gave a certain standard of training facility.

On the grass or plastic debate I've not made my mind up yet. I've seen footage of our development team play some great football on G3 surfaces. Compare this with what the First Team offer up? Do we actually ever practise on the Firhill Surface apart from the warm up before games? Could be one of the reasons behind our horrific home form if we don't?

Love the fact that we have nomads who live on the other side of the world vowing never to return if we install an artificial surface,

Your bluff will be called on this gentlemen. Artificial surfaces are getting progressively better with each generation and it's only a matter of time before all clubs of our size have them.

This luddite attitude being displayed by some here is nothing more than posturing. If you are prepared to walk away because of an artificial pitch then I seriously question how much of a supporter you were in the first place.

• Like 9

Love the fact that we have nomads who live on the other side of the world vowing never to return if we install an artificial surface,

Your bluff will be called on this gentlemen. Artificial surfaces are getting progressively better with each generation and it's only a matter of time before all clubs of our size have them.

This luddite attitude being displayed by some here is nothing more than posturing. If you are prepared to walk away because of an artificial pitch then I seriously question how much of a supporter you were in the first place.

Regarding artificial surfaces, there is always going to be plenty for the idea and plenty against. Similar to Ian though, for the life of me I cannot understand people saying that will be them finished with the club if we do go down the road. I find those comments astonishing!

• Like 1