Players We Should Have Signed But Never Did

Jaggernaut

Apparently McCall wanted to sign Dobbie in the January but board didn't sanction - could've got us promoted & hefty sell on fee - but hey ho, alls well that ends well Mon the jags

McCall named 5 players who would get us promoted. Dobbie, Pat Clarke, Dave McKay, Bob Harris & Richie Hart. Dobbie was by far the least likely player we could've signed. McCall also thought that Dobbie might well be one of those players that was too good for the 2nd tier but could struggle in the top division. Incidentally in that respect he compared him to Kevin James who never really cracked it in the SPL.

If we'd held on to Mo Johnstone for just a few months more and not sold him mid-season we would very likely have got promoted and not spent a decade floundering in the lower division. The board just couldn't wait to grab the money. (We'd still have sold him, maybe for slightly less but we'd have been in the top division). Looking back at decisions like these makes you appreciate what it is to have a decent board with a proper plan to progress the club.

• Like 1

I am a bit confused with this thread as some of the players mentioned did play for us. I don't see much difference between "signed" players and loan players in terms of the jobs they could have done and even the length of time they might have played

I'm with you on this one. From topics in the past others have seemed to think the likes of Graeme Dorrans or Andy Wilkinson were never Thistle players. For me loan players are as much jags as fully contracted ones.

I'm with you on this one. From topics in the past others have seemed to think the likes of Graeme Dorrans or Andy Wilkinson were never Thistle players. For me loan players are as much jags as fully contracted ones.

I'm not sure. The likes of Eddie Prudham and Robert Fleck were at Firhill for a month. Does that make them a Jag? On the other hand the ones you mentioned plus Lyle Taylor and Niall Keown were great for us for several months. Difficult one

I'm not sure. The likes of Eddie Prudham and Robert Fleck were at Firhill for a month. Does that make them a Jag? On the other hand the ones you mentioned plus Lyle Taylor and Niall Keown were great for us for several months. Difficult one

You can't have some and not the others, so in my mind they're all jags.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...