League Cup Draw St Johnstone Away

Third Lanark

Why were Livingston not seeded when they won the group?

Don't get that.

The four teams entering the competition are all seeded, Celtic, Aberdeen, Rangers, St Johnstone. In a round of 16 there was only room for four more seeds, the four group winners with the best records.

What sort of moronic competition results in the team that wins a game, albeit on penalties, to win a group ending up being drawn away to the team they've just beaten! In general I like this format of the League Cup, but reckon the teams that win the 8 groups should be guaranteed a home fixture in the last 16. The 4 second place teams and the 4 that get a bye should play away.

What sort of moronic competition results in the team that wins a game, albeit on penalties, to win a group ending up being drawn away to the team they've just beaten!

Moronic indeed but that's what to expect from an organisation run by a moron. The same moron that had a third of our division's member club's supporters traipsing halfway round the country on Xmas Eve.

Mindboggling obvious that the winners of a group shouldn't have to play the runners up from the same group in the next round. Mindboggling obvious to all but that moron.

• Like 1

What sort of moronic competition results in the team that wins a game, albeit on penalties, to win a group ending up being drawn away to the team they've just beaten! In general I like this format of the League Cup, but reckon the teams that win the 8 groups should be guaranteed a home fixture in the last 16. The 4 second place teams and the 4 that get a bye should play away.

Once the group stages are done it is a knock out competition and it becomes luck of the draw. Under your idea that group winners get a home tie could still result in the Dundee vs Utd scenario though. The only way you could do it would be to have something like Best Group winner vs worst runner up. Then somehow you would have to allocate the 4 European teams to a runner up spot ?

reckon the teams that win the 8 groups should be guaranteed a home fixture in the last 16. The 4 second place teams and the 4 that get a bye should play away.

Very good point but far too sensible for Doncaster and his pals. I suppose the the top 4 will argue they should play at home, but they already got to miss 4 games. The runners-up should definitely be given away ties

To avoid the Dundee Situation wouldn't it make sense to plan the ties even before the group stage draw, like in a Would Cup or Euros?

Since you don't know which runners up will be going through, or who will be seeded. Even if you did that it wouldn't eliminate the possibility of the Dundee situation happening.

Scunnered. Absolutely scunnered. A midweek tie in a soul-less stadium against a boring team we'll already play at least 3 times this season. Probably 4 actually, when the Scottish Cup is included. If only we had performed better against Livingston, we'd have had a chance of avoiding such tedium.

Good to see the OF both got home ties......

Quelle surprise?

I was chatting to a stranraer fan post game and commenting that the group sections are fairly attractive simply because we get to see opposition not normally available to us and I complimented his team.

I added that I hate watching premier teams 4 times especially St j who are the most boring anti football team in the world. How ironic. At least the game is in Perth. Their fans are more entertaining than their team. And they would definitely have parked the double decker at Firhill.