Realism

javeajag

Good post on facebook by Tom Hosie and he thinks if we finish 9th or above and get a good cup run we will have had a good season.Imo Hamilton will be bottom.Like half of the league our first aim will be to finish 10th or above.If we manage that imo it is another good season.

• Like 1

Good post on facebook by Tom Hosie and he thinks if we finish 9th or above and get a good cup run we will have had a good season.Imo Hamilton will be bottom.Like half of the league our first aim will be to finish 10th or above.If we manage that imo it is another good season.

It's all about progression. Finishing 10th wouldn't be progression.

• Like 1

It's all about progression. Finishing 10th wouldn't be progression.

I would love it if we could get top 6 again this season.Imo now Hibs are back in the league it is a much stronger league.Over 17,000 today ,how can we compete with that?It will be interesting to see how Dundee,Kilmarnock and Motherwell do with there new managers as i feel these are the teams along with Ross County and Hamilton that we will be fighting against for league position.

We really need to shake off this wee team mentality. Leicester competed against the likes of Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal despite being dwarfed in terms of fan numbers and finances.

Pure nonsense, that's a once in a lifetime event which came about due to a number of circumstances colliding at the same time. To suggest this is possible through autonomous planning is just foolish, finance counts and you need to recognise this.

• Like 1

It's too early to draw any long term conclusions after today but let's be realistic on what's possible ..,,unlikely we will finish above Celtic rangers Aberdeen hibx or st Johnstone .,,so 6th would be over achieving

Can we zvoud the bottom two ? Let's hope son

How can some people be so pessimistic, it's only the first game if we had had some more players fit like Turnbull, Spittal, Dumbuya etc. then we would have got a much better result and if Archie plays the right set up then this season we'll be at least 7th, a back 4 just doesn't work with the defenders we have as our full backs are usually very high up the pitch and we lose a lot of goals from this flaw in the system. In my opinion if we played a 3 at the back it would allow Booth and Elliott to bomb up the pitch as usual without putting too much pressure on the defence as they will have an extra man to deal with any counter attacks.

My Alan Shearer type analysis!

Pure nonsense, that's a once in a lifetime event which came about due to a number of circumstances colliding at the same time. To suggest this is possible through autonomous planning is just foolish, finance counts and you need to recognise this.

Nonsense? Nice. Are we not allowed to dream? I recognise that we have a small support compared to other teams and not as big a budget as some but look at what some of the teams around the same size as us have achieved. Cup wins, European ties.

Nonsense? Nice. Are we not allowed to dream? I recognise that we have a small support compared to other teams and not as big a budget as some but look at what some of the teams around the same size as us have achieved. Cup wins, European ties.

Dream away but remember they are just that dreams, don't take them too serious or worse than that expect them to be real.

• Like 2

Good post on facebook by Tom Hosie and he thinks if we finish 9th or above and get a good cup run we will have had a good season

I haven't read Tom's post but I always respect his opinion. Some folk will argue that for us to be seen to progress this season we'll have to finish 5th at worst. Personally I feel a 7th or even 8th finish could well be seen as, if not progress at least consolidating our status. First and foremost we have to up our game to last season's level.

• Like 1

I think since the leagues were changed from 2 leagues of 18 in 76 the most consecutive seasons in the top flight we have managed would be 6.This is our 5th consecutive season, so we are on one of our best runs in 40years and lets hope we still have quite a few more to go.

• Like 2

Big concern was the lack of skill and imagination from our midfield. Just like Stranraer game the midfield hadn't the ability to control the game or win the ball. Nesbit showed he was a little virgin in a mans game, while ginger Murray strolled through the match, in saying all that, if the midfield cant provide the service to the front then Dools has got another hard season in front of him to save us again this year.

I am always realistic about Thistle.

But one game into the season is just that. We'll take time to integrate the new lads and get the old ones back into the groove. I'd give it 6-8 games before we judge anything.

Pleased Erskine played well yesterday, when some were calling for him to be dropped. Bannigan will sharpen up. Barton needs to focus a bit more, Edwards could have an impact. I'm also still hopeful we will see Fraser soon.

Still think Archie made the right decision signing Blair Spittal and in selling Azeez, but we do lack pace and power to mix it up with Azeez and Amoo away, despite the latter being a useless shitebag most of the time.

In an ideal world I'd like us to sign two strikers - a pacy one like Miles Storey and a target man like Brian Graham - and then another attacking midfielder(whether that's an attacking midfielder or winger). We might end up having to settle for just one striker. If they're even just a tiny bit better than Azeez then I would accept that as Azeez was alright.

I think unless we sign something a bit different then we'll rely a lot on scoring perfect goals like the first one against Hibs, which is not ideal. But we were okay yesterday, and I think most teams bar Rangers, Celtic and Aberdeen would have lost that, so it's not the end of the world.

To be honest, it doesn't take a tactical genius to work out that if we don't get a half decent forward in the door, before the window shuts it's gonna be a long hard season.

Quite frankly, we can't go on relying on Dools week after week: yesterday been a prime example of what happens when you are over reliant on a single forward. Indeed, as soon as Dools went off you just knew that whatever chance we had in the game had gone as well.