Nice Little Earner?

MMCF

In another post I saw it outlined how the Betfred League Cup Quarter Final was "a nice little earner." But for whom?

Consider this: In the next two months there will be five home games at Firhill. As a Season Ticket holder I will be able to sit in my usual (chosen) seat on only two of those occasions.

Which is not quite as "difficult" a situation as that in the early part of 2018 when over the months January - March I will be able to occupy that particular seat on only two occasions over the three calendar months.

Football is supposed to be, in my mind at least, a social event where you meet with like minded people, many of whom you have sat side by side with for many years, sharing a common purpose. Quite often we don't see each other any time other than these events.

Now I know that there will be a number of folks who will view this as the griping of a seemingly privileged individual - I can afford to pay the three hundred quid up-front - and that I should be more inclined to see the big picture. But given the dislocation of all of the above, starting this Friday (and how I loathe Friday night games), what is the incentive for me not to just go down the boozer and watch the BLCQF on the accursed BT?

PS You would be ill-advised to point out that the Stranraer game was "free", as in included in the cost of the Season Ticket!

• Like 1

Too many years ago alas, but regardless of the weekend result, MMCF's Monday posts were not only much anticipated but also one of the finest regular examples of creative writing I've come across on a website forum. Nothing's changed as far as I can maintain. So rather than being so dismissive imo it's worth giving MMCF's post a serious re-read. :thumbsup2:

• Like 2

I assumed from the minimal information supplied on the official website we were being allowed to sit in our season ticket seat and the visitors were being allowed to sit in the Main Stand and run the risk of their fellow supporters incinerate them with their persistent desire to let off flares?

Football is supposed to be, in my mind at least, a social event where you meet with like minded people, many of whom you have sat side by side with for many years, sharing a common purpose. Quite often we don't see each other any time other than these events.

Very much on point.

Here'so the thing. How many people have given up their Season Ticket on account of this continuing dislocation? And, down the road how might this impact upon income. I am not a slave to PTFC, that would be a very in healthy thing for anyone,and so I would admit that the thought has crossed my mind. So I will be interested to see how the club might incentives the likes of me, say when the pricing is revealed for the BLCSF.

It will be interesting to see what the home crowd is for the league cup game. Our current home support will never fill the main and north stands. Until we can't fit all the Thistle fans who want to go to an OF home game in the main stand then I'm still of the opinion that we should maximise our income and give them the north stand too.

My dad doesn't have a season ticket but will pretty much go to every home game on a Saturday afternoon. These days he's going to fewer and fewer games. He'd obviously never wish relegation on Thistle but no question that from the point of view of attending games, the First Division suited him better. I see him plenty these days, but a few years ago the football was where I saw him most, and met for a pint. That would be lost.

You look at home crowds these days, not much better that the First Division, and you do wonder how the erratic fixture schedule affects attendance. I think TV scheduling has spoiled a lot about Scotish football as a social activity.

The relocation for Celtic games adds to this feeling, but I think the clubs' hands are pretty tied on this.

Edited by allyo

Just a thought........

Last night when Storey gets tripped by Bitton, imagine the noise from the Jackie Husband stand if it was full of Thistle fans crying for a penalty. Might it have influenced the referee more to give it??

On the point of giving the OF both north and JHS then I would stop supporting Thistle. We already surrender 'home' advantage as it is. Whats the point in going to the games if we don't want to win? For the LC game we should give them the main ONLY. We might even get more Thistle fans going and would IMO give us a slight advantage being at home. The money we would 'lose' would be recouped from the Semi Final

Just a thought........

Last night when Storey gets tripped by Bitton, imagine the noise from the Jackie Husband stand if it was full of Thistle fans crying for a penalty. Might it have influenced the referee more to give it??

On the point of giving the OF both north and JHS then I would stop supporting Thistle. We already surrender 'home' advantage as it is. Whats the point in going to the games if we don't want to win? For the LC game we should give them the main ONLY. We might even get more Thistle fans going and would IMO give us a slight advantage being at home. The money we would 'lose' would be recouped from the Semi Final

To answer your point(s). The JHS stand wouldn't have been anywhere near full if we had been in there last night. What makes you think Thistle fans go to games and don't want to win? In this league the way to win is to spend as much money as you have, or don't in many cases. How do we make that money if not by selling out the stadium for those games we can. Aberdeen were in the main stand at the end of last season. Did we win that one?

We play the OF at Firhill twice or, if we're (un)lucky, four times a season. That's a potential income of £100,000 (or double). Not something we have any other way of making up.

Edited by scotty
  • Like 1

Don't have a season ticket and chose not to go last night although I ended up having to drive into Firhill to drop off my son and his pal who have season tickets and were running late. If tickets were available until kick off I might have stayed.

I generally don't go to when the ugly sisters come. I usually meet up and sit with a couple of pals who have season tickets in the JH stand and I don't like being moved. I also don't particularly like what the visitors bring (although I think that Celtic fans are better than the other lot)

JH season ticket holders have a point in being upset although the 2 I sit with think the extra money outweighs the inconvenience of moving.

I noted last night that the official site said the Colin Weir stand was sold out but it looked half full on TV. I assume the club have to keep space for season ticket holders who have chosen not to go.

It's a difficult balance for the club but I do think it is being spent on better players. We've paid fees for Keown, Barton and now Storey. When was the last time we paid for a player?

I also don't particularly like what the visitors bring (although I think that Celtic fans are better than the other lot)

I always used to think this was the case. Seems to have changed over the last few years though to the point where both sets of their fans piss me off equally.

Not sure if that's because I am older and (unfortunately) wiser to the pro IRA bile and songs about getting their country back. Might also have something to do with the green brigade popularising the nonsense.

And as for those pathetic smoke bombs when they score, why aren't these people hauled out by the police immediately? It's pretty clear where the smoke originates from - remove them, fine them and ban them from all future games. Problem solved.

• Like 1

And as for those pathetic smoke bombs when they score, why aren't these people hauled out by the police immediately? It's pretty clear where the smoke originates from - remove them, fine them and ban them from all future games. Problem solved.

I was thinking that last night. Warn them in advance, then remove from the ground the section surrounding the area the smoke gets let off in. If it's publicised that's going to happen, then I'm sure pressure from other supporters would put a stop to it.

Scotty,

My first point was purely hypothetical.

Your right, the JHS wouldn't have been full last night.

Answer this, do we or do we not lose the advantage of being the home team by giving the OF the majority of our ground? I never said there were Thistle fans that didn't want to win. You went off on a tangent about money. Celtic are miles ahead of us but if we were able to intimidate there players maybe they wouldn't be so comfortable. Last night must have felt like they were playing at Lennoxtown in that first half. I understand giving the OF the JHS for league games but don't sell out completely by giving them the north also. In this one off cup game winner takes all, we should give ourselves every chance possible to be in the next round, and by that I mean give them as little as possible

• Like 1

In my opinion we lose more of the home advantage having around 2,000 jags fans spread over two stands with a lot of empty seats, more than we would if the main stand was full. I doubt that we will ever get as many home fans for an OF game as we do on any normal home Saturday. And going of on a tangent about money is, in my mind an important discussion point. Money makes the world go round as the old song says.

• Like 1

Let's face it, everything is geared so that the ugly sisters will win, from the timetabling of matches, to the referees and linesmen, and even some might say to our own club, bending over backwards to accommodate them and their fans (and usually throwing in the towel, either early on, or late... sometimes very late..... in the game).

How much would it cost to make a fourth stand similar to the northy. Pretty sure both the ugly sisters could fill both the JH and a fourth stand. May be economical in the long run and sets a better picture of scottish football especially when we are on the TV.

Edited by lithgaejag