Attendences

javeajag

Dundee and St Johnstone are the only ones down

That would change next season if Dundee Utd are promoted. Ideally we want St Mirren to come up.

Our main concern is the number of home fans that turn up. It's easy to lay the blame at a poor season, when not just poor results but our style of play hasn't exactly been attractive, but in truth there doesn't seem to be much previousr evidence to suggest better results and play will bring the missing fans flooding back.

Home fan numbers dwindle because the premier league is no longer a novelty. So we go back to the core.

What we really need is a relegation, followed by a couple of seasons of pressing and play-off heart-break, before another glorious title, and it all becomes new and exciting again. That or a cup final.

It's the harsh reality of Scottish football. You don't 'build' because there is really nothing to build. You just hope to keep it fresh.

Relegation is never good imo. Since the Premier league started anytime we have been relegated it has taken us at least 9 seasons to get back to the top league.ICT lost at least £1.2m because of relegation last season and Falkirk have got rid of there youth development scheme because they want to put all there money into getting into the Premier league.

Edited by Auld Jag

I can't believe that any Jags fan would actually want us to be relegated. Be careful what you wish for.

I do agree. If tho' the 2nd tier was say a league of 16-20 clubs and not the current incestuous four times a season monotony then at least relegation would be less painful. Multiple visits to the likes of Falkirk, Dumbarton and my own particular bete noire, Livingston, would not be something to be savoured.

Home fan numbers dwindle because the premier league is no longer a novelty. So we go back to the core.

What we really need is a relegation, followed by a couple of seasons of pressing and play-off heart-break, before another glorious title, and it all becomes new and exciting again. That or a cup final.

It's the harsh reality of Scottish football. You don't 'build' because there is really nothing to build. You just hope to keep it fresh.

Relegation would do our attendances no good whatsoever..... maybe one or two larger-than-normal gates for potential crunch matches (e.g. like the Dunfermline and Morton games in our most recent promotion season); otherwise, no away supports, no special reason to go and see 2nd tier- standard football....

What we need is to be challenging within the top six to try to do even better; even then, it might just be that most of our fans are either nomads or stay-at-home or stay-in-the-pub "supporters."

30 league games also would stop the stupidity of teams and fans travelling long distances for games in winter, often in midweek (us V Ross Co just before Christmas last season and Aberdeen last month spring to mind

No chance of it happening until the spfl stop slavering at the feet of sky and bt for the leftovers after they have bought English football

Edited by Wayfarer
  • Like 1

<p>30 league games also would stop the stupidity of teams and fans travelling long distances for games in winter, often in midweek (us V Ross Co just before Christmas last season & Aberdeen last month spring to mind)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>No chance of it happening until the spfl stop slavering at the feet of sky & bt for the leftovers after they have bought English football</p>

<div style="left: -1000px; top: 24.1px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; position: absolute;"> </div>

<p>Hear<p> &amp <p> Hear! </div>

• Like 1

I can't believe that any Jags fan would actually want us to be relegated. Be careful what you wish for.

No. Devil's advocate really, I'd never wish for relegation because you don't know what's going to follow. I'd be as miserable as any Jags fan if it happened (though Saturday football would be good).

But I do believe that if (and it's a big if) you go down and bounce back it can invigorate the club and the fans. Hibs were treading water for years before their relegation.

You obviously can't plan for that so you'd be mad to make it a strategy.

My main point though is that at our level there is a risk of complacency or boredom setting in. Kilmarnock have been in the premier league for years but it hasn't turned them into a huge, happy, vital and progressive club with increasing fan base.

That's why I reckon that in the big picture, relegation and promotion are essential components of Scottish football, to try to keep things fresh. And why I think a large league which consigns many of our clubs to 'mid-table stability' would be a terrible step.

And its ok. I know no one agrees with me on this.

No. Devil's advocate really, I'd never wish for relegation because you don't know what's going to follow. I'd be as miserable as any Jags fan if it happened (though Saturday football would be good).

But I do believe that if (and it's a big if) you go down and bounce back it can invigorate the club and the fans. Hibs were treading water for years before their relegation.

You obviously can't plan for that so you'd be mad to make it a strategy.

My main point though is that at our level there is a risk of complacency or boredom setting in. Kilmarnock have been in the premier league for years but it hasn't turned them into a huge, happy, vital and progressive club with increasing fan base.

That's why I reckon that in the big picture, relegation and promotion are essential components of Scottish football, to try to keep things fresh. And why I think a large league which consigns many of our clubs to 'mid-table stability' would be a terrible step.

A larger league doesn’t have to lead to mid table stability. You could still have some kind of playoff system or more teams being promoted/relegated ? Most people agree that it is playing each other 3 or 4 times that is leading to lethargy among the fans

I agree with you!

I like the current set-up where almost every game has a real competitive edge - only two teams have won the League in the past 30 years and I don't see that changing in the foreseeable - the rest of us are hoping for European Qualification in a good season but other than that staying in the top league is a creditable achievement.

A larger League would inevitably reduce that edge...and if we had a poor season and were relegated, we would be facing the likes of Stenhousemuir, Annan and Montrose every week - I wouldn't be that interested in going to watch poor quality part-time players with virtually no supporters. I take the point about repetitive fixtures particularly for those fans who go to all away games but I would rather watch us play Aberdeen or Hearts twice in a season in meaningful matches at Firhill than Raith Rovers or Queen of the South in games where the result doesn't really matter.

Edited by Winter of '63

I agree with you!

I like the current set-up where almost every game has a real competitive edge - only two teams have won the League in the past 30 years and I don't see that changing in the foreseeable - the rest of us are hoping for European Qualification in a good season but other than that staying in the top league is a creditable achievement.

A larger League would inevitably reduce that edge...and if we had a poor season and were relegated, we would be facing the likes of Stenhousemuir, Annan and Montrose every week - I wouldn't be that interested in going to watch poor quality part-time players with virtually no supporters. I take the point about repetitive fixtures particularly for those fans who go to all away games but I would rather watch us play Aberdeen or Hearts twice in a season in meaningful matches at Firhill than Raith Rovers or Queen of the South in games where the result doesn't really matter.

I agree up to a point, but I remember the 70-71 season when for the first time in living memory Thistle got relegated from the top flight. So yes it was the likes of Stenhousemuir, Montrose, East Stirling, Arbroath every week...... and it was brilliant!! But that was due to the novelty, and the fact that our team of youngsters was clearly something special as they rampaged (with some stumbles) through the season. The problem now though would be that for most of the past 30 years we've been playing those kinds of teams quite regularly, and it's all too rare that we have a great team like back in 70-71 or a few years ago when we won promotion.

A larger league, everybody plays each other twice, with expanded play-offs to keep the edge would be the best of both worlds, I reckon.

• Like 1

We're playing in a league which we are never going to win. If we are in the top league our target is avoiding relegation and maybe getting a wee run in one of the cups.

We won't attract many more supporters on a regular basis unless we are challenging for the competitions.

I usually attend around half the home games and some away games each season. I attended more games in our promotion season especially towards the end of the season as the excitement and tension built. The Morton game is still probably the best memory in recent history.

If playoffs at the top were introduced like in rugby union, rugby league, basketball etc then more teams would have a real interest throughout the season. Pipe dream I know as the Ugly sisters would never allow it.

We're playing in a league which we are never going to win. If we are in the top league our target is avoiding relegation and maybe getting a wee run in one of the cups.

We won't attract many more supporters on a regular basis unless we are challenging for the competitions.

I usually attend around half the home games and some away games each season. I attended more games in our promotion season especially towards the end of the season as the excitement and tension built. The Morton game is still probably the best memory in recent history.

If playoffs at the top were introduced like in rugby union, rugby league, basketball etc then more teams would have a real interest throughout the season. Pipe dream I know as the Ugly sisters would never allow it.

Even if there were play offs that would mean playing some clubs a minimum of SIX times a season. I realise the play offs would generate good crowds but given the repetition some of that could easily be at the expense of games during the season.

What's rarely mentioned but imo pertinent is the devaluation of the cup competitions. A lot must have to do with the number of cup fixtures involving clubs in the same division (another trip to McDiarmid, anybody?). This is easily backed up by the relatively cheaper tickets for cup games to generate interest. Saturday's game is a glorious exception to the rule but if we get thru what's the chances of an interesting fixture in the next round?

I wouldn't be in favour of further tampering with the League by introducing play offs. I say further tampering as the split after 33 games is both nonsensical and a product of inequity.