New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

3 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

If all these negotiations are in the process, would Colin Weir be in the loop as well , what with the funding of the Academy and obviously the pending Training Academy with the 3 Black Cats .

There is not a lot of morals within the business world but I would hope Colin Weir is part of the process and giving his place , it wouldn’t make any sense to lose his funding .

Out of likes - completely agree about your comments about Colin 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AndyMac said:

Think some posters are way off the mark. These people are not investors, nor are they sugar daddies ala Colin Weir. They're asset strippers.

They will not invest a penny of their own money and they will saddle the club with crippling debt, before heading for the exit with a wheel barrow full of cash. Open your eyes look at what has happened at Nice.

I hope whoever got the ball rolling on this at our end are enjoying the fruits of their labour and that the brown envelope was stuffed nice and full :thumbdown:

And how does someone manage to get loan on the back if a club like Thistle. Perhaps I'm being naive but what assets do be have???????

3 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

And how does someone manage to get loan on the back if a club like Thistle. Perhaps I'm being naive but what assets do be have???????

Suppose if they managed to buy out Propco , they would have a stadium to borrow money on 

23 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Suppose if they managed to buy out Propco , they would have a stadium to borrow money on 

And who us going to lend anyone any money secured against a football stadium that has extremely limited alternative uses and none very lucrative .....don’t yiu think previous property developers in the board tried that ....this delusional

can you explain why a billionaire would bother ? 

2 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

If all these negotiations are in the process, would Colin Weir be in the loop as well , what with the funding of the Academy and obviously the pending Training Academy with the 3 Black Cats .

There is not a lot of morals within the business world but I would hope Colin Weir is part of the process and given his place , it wouldn’t make any sense to lose his funding .

I’d be surprised if he or any other non-shareholder was. Why would they be?

Colin Weir does not fund the club, merely the Academy (As per the boards statement), the Weir Academy is a different entity to the club but does have strong links to it.

2 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Colin Weir does not fund the club, merely the Academy (As per the boards statement), the Weir Academy is a different entity to the club but does have strong links to it.

Colin and Christine Weir are shareholders - 5% each I believe.

10 minutes ago, javeajag said:

And who us going to lend anyone any money secured against a football stadium that has extremely limited alternative uses and none very lucrative .....don’t yiu think previous property developers in the board tried that ....this delusional

can you explain why a billionaire would bother ? 

Javejag , until we look at this closely, there is no point in quoting “ billionaire “ all the time .

Romanov at Hearts had unlimited wealth, ditto Craig Whyte and David Murray at Rangers 

It means nothing 

4 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Norge , I said he funds the Academy 

Just now, jlsarmy said:

Javejag , until we look at this closely, there is no point in quoting “ billionaire “ all the time .

Romanov at Hearts had unlimited wealth, ditto Craig Whyte and David Murray at Rangers 

It means nothing 

No they did not have unlimited wealth ...! Compared to these guys they were poor !

explain to me : what would anyone do with  firhill....?

1 minute ago, javeajag said:

No they did not have unlimited wealth ...! Compared to these guys they were poor !

explain to me : what would anyone do with  firhill....?

Got to disagree, there is massive potential at Firhill if it got redeveloped a bit , good motorway links , outdoor venue for Sports and Concerts .

Good space for functions with investment, similar to what St Johnstone do with weddings etc .

The actual football side is roughly used 20 days out of 365 days of the year, there is a lot of potential there if someone has a bit of foresight 

4 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

I don't think we are talking about the club taking out a loan on the owners behalf which is what happened with Man United and the Glazers.

The Nice example which is very close to what Murray did at Rangers before they died was once in charge of the club you make the club responsible for paying back your investment in the club. The club pays you back your investment plus a rate of interest which can be anything you dictate. This isn't to me what their primary strategy is as uing the Nice example they get 9% of their investment. In Thistle's case their investment is likely to be around £1m so they would make about £100k which seems a whole lot of hassle for very little return.

From what I've read the real strategy in this comes from Paul Conway who at Barnsley insisted that they recruit players under 25 which has 2 positive implications. First younger players tend to have lower wages and secondly younger players allow plenty of option for re-sale. So if you're looking to make money that starts to makes more sense.

If you can get a club like Thistle to be in the SPL with a squad full of under 25's you would probably turn a profit on a day to day basis and occasionaly make a chunk of money in one off transfer fee's or development fees.

Beyond Barnsley and Nice they've tried to buy Real Vallodolid so they obviously have big plans. Its also rumoured they were wanting to buy hibs but got rejected and turned to us.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, laukat said:

I don't think we are talking about the club taking out a loan on the owners behalf which is what happened with Man United and the Glazers.

The Nice example which is very close to what Murray did at Rangers before they died was once in charge of the club you make the club responsible for paying back your investment in the club. The club pays you back your investment plus a rate of interest which can be anything you dictate. This isn't to me what their primary strategy is as uing the Nice example they get 9% of their investment. In Thistle's case their investment is likely to be around £1m so they would make about £100k which seems a whole lot of hassle for very little return.

From what I've read the real strategy in this comes from Paul Conway who at Barnsley insisted that they recruit players under 25 which has 2 positive implications. First younger players tend to have lower wages and secondly younger players allow plenty of option for re-sale. So if you're looking to make money that starts to makes more sense.

If you can get a club like Thistle to be in the SPL with a squad full of under 25's you would probably turn a profit on a day to day basis and occasionaly make a chunk of money in one off transfer fee's or development fees.

Beyond Barnsley and Nice they've tried to buy Real Vallodolid so they obviously have big plans. Its also rumoured they were wanting to buy hibs but got rejected and turned to us.

Can we kid on Kenny Miller is 23 yrs old 

23 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

It means nothing 

Again JLS out of likes but great points 

33 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

It means nothing 

The pedant in me, forces me to post this: None of these guys had unlimited wealth, though Romanov really was rich but involved in dodgy activities.  Craig Whyte was an average (and dodgy) businessman who got the succulent lamb eaters in the SMSM to publicise him as a billionaire.  Murray was financed by endless loans by a dodgy Bank of Scotland director to the tune of nealry 3/4 a billion.  He hardly ever used his own money.  Also when the banking crash stopped the loans he started tax dodging.  The fact that Murray had all that free money but still managed to crash his company shows what a poor businessman he was.  Of course he's pretty wealthy now as plenty of dishonest businessmen are.

Edited by Mr Bunny

18 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Got to disagree, there is massive potential at Firhill if it got redeveloped a bit , good motorway links , outdoor venue for Sports and Concerts .

Good space for functions with investment, similar to what St Johnstone do with weddings etc .

The actual football side is roughly used 20 days out of 365 days of the year, there is a lot of potential there if someone has a bit of foresight 

Nope

straw and clutch 

Just now, Mr Bunny said:

The pedant in me, forces me to post this: None of these guys had unlimited wealth, though Romanov really was rich but involved in dodgy activities.  Craig Whyte was an average (and dodgy) businessman who got the fans with typewriters in the SMSM to publicise him as a billionaire.  Murray was financed by endless loans by a dodgy Bank of Scotland director to the tune of nealry 3/4 a billion.  He hardly ever used his own money.  Also when the banking crash stopped the loans he started tax dodging.  The fact that Murray had all that free money but still managed to crash his company shows what a poor businessman he was.  Of course he's pretty wealthy now as plenty of dishonest businessmen are.

Correct 

2 minutes ago, Mr Bunny said:

The pedant in me, forces me to post this: None of these guys had unlimited wealth, though Romanov really was rich but involved in dodgy activities.  Craig Whyte was an average (and dodgy) businessman who got the fans with typewriters in the SMSM to publicise him as a billionaire.  Murray was financed by endless loans by a dodgy Bank of Scotland director to the tune of nealry 3/4 a billion.  He hardly ever used his own money.  Also when the banking crash stopped the loans he started tax dodging.  The fact that Murray had all that free money but still managed to crash his company shows what a poor businessman he was.  Of course he's pretty wealthy now as plenty of dishonest businessmen are.

We know more about the people mentioned because they crashed and burned, we don’t know an awful lot about our prospective investors/ buyers at this moment in time 

Ok.....there seems to be a view that Chinese and US billionaires are interested in buying the club because they are either passionate about urban re development in maryhill or want to make some money by borrowing against the stadium or building houses or doing some exotic transaction .....not going to happen this is about football 

if we could have sold the stadium to a supermarket or housing development  previous boards would have done it years ago......the amount of money involved in site preparation , the location and planning  issues  never mind the poor financial return mean it’s a non starter .....just wander around maryhill and yiu will see better and easier sites 

this is about football look there 

• Like 1

• admin locked this topic