Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
East Kent Jag II

1921 Scottish Cup winners medal for sale

Recommended Posts

Article in today's Glasgow Herald.  Jimmy McMenemy's 1921 cup winners medal is being auctioned by McTear's auctioneers on 20 November.  Expected to go for £2,000 to £4,000. Price expected to be high, as a non old firm medal sells for a higher price.

The article shows a Pathe News clip of the final, and worth reading the article to see that alone!  

Ah, bring back the old days!  Needless to say, not that I could remember this game personally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As over 90% of football-related articles in The Herald have to do with blue or green, I am totally convinced that if there wasn't a tenuous OF connection here this would not even have been considered "newsworthy" by what was once a good newspaper, but which now considers news to be what has happened in Strictly Come Dancing and The great British Bake-off,  and who will appear on Question Time tonight. And they ask us to pay to support their "trusted, quality journalism."

Actually, about donating it to the club: that raises questions about who actually owns it, and what eventually happens to it. I seem to remember Bobby Lawrie donating his 1971 medal to the club (was that during Save The Jags?); so,  where is the medal now, and who took the decision for it to be wherever it is now? Who actually looks after all the memorabilia at Firhill? Are things catalogued? Are there checks and records about where items go? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Despite what some might think i was not around for the 1921 final. Happily though i was at the 1971 final.:happy2:

Why were you out the country at the time on national service?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McMenemy was 40 years old when he played in the final.  He played for the Jags for a further two years.  

Apart from goalkeepers, any 40 year olds playing professional football today?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, East Kent Jag II said:

McMenemy was 40 years old when he played in the final.  He played for the Jags for a further two years.  

Apart from goalkeepers, any 40 year olds playing professional football today?

Not sure about today, but i think Davie Irons was in his 40's when he retired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Not sure about today, but i think Davie Irons was in his 40's when he retired.

Dean Windass played until he was 40, scored his last goal in the Premier League at 39.

Kevin McAllister hung up his boots at 40 with Albion Rovers.

Gavin Swankie sprang to mind as he seems to have been around for ever, but he isn't 37 yet!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, East Kent Jag II said:

McMenemy was 40 years old when he played in the final.  He played for the Jags for a further two years.  

Apart from goalkeepers, any 40 year olds playing professional football today?

Kenny Miller turned 40 whilst playing for us

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Kenny Miller turned 40 whilst playing for us

David Weir and Graham Alexander both played in to their 40s as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Graeme Armstrong played from 1975 to 2001, making his last appearance for Alloa Athletic at the age of 44.

Over 900 career appearances, including more than 200 each for Stirling Albion, Meadowbank Thistle and Stenhousemuir.

Still younger than Auld Jag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Graeme Armstrong played from 1975 to 2001, making his last appearance for Alloa Athletic at the age of 44.

Over 900 career appearances, including more than 200 each for Stirling Albion, Meadowbank Thistle and Stenhousemuir.

Still younger than Auld Jag.

I am still younger than future president of America is. No matter which auld duffer it is.:happy2:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2020 at 2:42 PM, Jaggernaut said:

As over 90% of football-related articles in The Herald have to do with blue or green, I am totally convinced that if there wasn't a tenuous OF connection here this would not even have been considered "newsworthy" by what was once a good newspaper,

Fair to say it's a newspaper stable on its deathbed.

Edited by One t in Scotland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

I am still younger than future president of America is. No matter which auld duffer it is.:happy2:

Maybe Airdrie missed a trick on their recent visit to Firhill. When they scored first, they should have gone to court to get the game stopped.

Teams like Thistle, when they get a result they don't like, are often told, "get on with it, it's not the end of the world". Given his attitude to climate change, a Trump victory might be exactly that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

I am still younger than future president of America is. No matter which auld duffer it is.:happy2:

Were either of them at the 1921 Cup Final?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2020 at 7:03 PM, East Kent Jag II said:

Article in today's Glasgow Herald.  Jimmy McMenemy's 1921 cup winners medal is being auctioned by McTear's auctioneers on 20 November.  Expected to go for £2,000 to £4,000. Price expected to be high, as a non old firm medal sells for a higher price.

The article shows a Pathe News clip of the final, and worth reading the article to see that alone!  

Ah, bring back the old days!  Needless to say, not that I could remember this game personally.

I see it sold for GBP 6,300.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Only reason I used GBP is that I don't have a pound sign on my keyboard! :)

I wish I had 75411 Norwegian Krone free to buy it

Edited by Norgethistle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This might be (probably is) my addled mind "at work" and nothing else, but I seem to remember reading somewhere (where?; it was a while ago) that the Thistle players actually got some other kind of momento/souvenir of their Scottish Cup win, instead of a medal.

Has anybody ever seen another PTFC Scottish Cup Winners Medal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×