Trivia

a f kincaid

Fed up reading about players we might or might not sign? Fed up reading about legal documents that might or might not have been delivered/actioned?  Any takers for a close-season trivia thread?

I'll start things off...

In 1932 the FA refused Plymouth Argyle permission to do something. In February 1936 they gave Arsenal permission to do it. What was it?

55 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Why were over 137, 000 people able to attend the Scotland v England match (0-0) in 1970? 

(I was there-we should have had a penalty when Brian Labone felled Colin Stein in the penalty box!)

Not sure if this is a trick question, but the stadium capacity at the time allowed for those kinds of numbers. Celtic played Leeds United in 1970 at Hampden and 136,505 fans attended. 

Edited by sandy

2 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

Is it to do with tops? White sleeves or player numbers?

^ Didn’t see your entry, BB. I believe it was to do with tops, but collars as well as sleeves. If we're correct,  you win first prize - but I think the question master may be a bit of a stickler for the precise answer  :rolleyes:

I think it was the refusal of the FA to allow Plymouth to fly to away games. The club directors did it anyway a few months later. Perhaps paving the way for Arsenal to get official permission.

Seems Plymouth has a decent number of Scots playing for them then too 

33 minutes ago, sandy said:

I think it was the refusal of the FA to allow Plymouth to fly to away games. The club directors did it anyway a few months later. Perhaps paving the way for Arsenal to get official permission.

Seems Plymouth has a decent number of Scots playing for them then too 

Although not proven, it is possible that the team was formed by the Argyll & Sutherland regiment.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

A variation of the Golden Goal rule was used in the 1994 Caribbean Cup. It lead to farcical scenes in one particular match. What was the rule?

The Golden Goal counted as two goals. This led to both teams trying to score own goals to trigger/prevent extra time respectively.

18 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

Although not proven, it is possible that the team was formed by the Argyll & Sutherland regiment.

Jags defender Jimmy Rae (Late 1920s early 1930s) signed for Plymouth Argyle after playing there in a friendly, and being admired by Argyle. He went on to not only play for them, but become manager after his playing career finished.  TTA bio coming soon. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

The Golden Goal counted as two goals. This led to both teams trying to score own goals to trigger/prevent extra time respectively.

Correct.

Barbados needed to beat Granada by at least 2 goals to qualify from group stage. Any other result would mean Granada would go through.
It was going well for Barbados and they lead 2 - 0. In the 83rd minute, Granada scored. Barbados then tried to restore their 2 goal lead but with time running out decided on a new strategy. They scored an own goal on 87 mins in order to take the tie to extra time. When Granada kicked off again, they knew they would be through if they avoided extra time. It didn't matter if they won or lost so set about trying to score a goal, any goal. Barbados had to defend both goals for 3 minutes. They succeeded and scored the winner 5 mins into extra time.
After an enquiry, the result stood. It was deemed that both teams had been playing within the rules in order to win the tie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1