Raith Rovers on Saturday

a f kincaid

2 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I don't think it is as binary as you portray it.

There could be someone coaching at a bigger club who is looking to become a manager in their own right or someone who has recently finished their playing career, has done their coaching badges and is looking for someone to give them their first chance in management.

Yes. Probably didn't make my point clear. Either of the these two categories could provide  good quality coaches but they'd still be novices re contracts, man management, targeting and attracting players to the Club. Under normal circumstances you can still take a punt on the novice against going with a more experienced but failed elsewhere manager. But due to what's going on behind the scenes (or more correctly what's not going on) it would likely be a most difficult environment for a novice manager to work in. 

2 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Yes. Probably didn't make my point clear. Either of the these two categories could provide  good quality coaches but they'd still be novices re contracts, man management, targeting and attracting players to the Club. Under normal circumstances you can still take a punt on the novice against going with a more experienced but failed elsewhere manager. But due to what's going on behind the scenes (or more correctly what's not going on) it would likely be a most difficult environment for a novice manager to work in. 

I see what you mean now.  Part of the issue is also we are looking at sorting out this season but when appointing a manager you need to know what sort of club you want to be. Is it one who promotes its own youth players or one who scouts the lower leagues down south to pick up some gems you get a season out of before selling them on? I would suggest that it would be a different sort of manager in each case.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

The trouble we have LIB is we probably can’t afford to pay off the 3 on the management team .

If you remember when Archibald was relieved of his duties he was put on “ gardening leave “ because they couldn’t give him his pay off at the time .

Guess what I'm aiming at is McCall moving sideways and a qualified coach coming in. Whether the new coach wants to retain either Archibald or Scally would be his choice to make.

I know when you mention bringing back ex players you're open to valid criticism re taking a narrow viewpoint and/or having a jobs for the boys mentality. Even so I feel Kris Doolan would be most worthwhile exception to that rule. He's qualified anyway and also experienced in coaching kids. Factor in he's a role model and his past loyalty and I think he'd be an ideal assistant to a Head Coach. 

So I'd go with a Head Coach (Training, Fitness, Tactics, Team Selection & other Matchday matters), McCall (Transfers, Contracts & Man Management issues,  Doolan (Assistant Coach, Youth Training & Development). Oh, and while I'm on my high horse as a TJF member I'd be happy to see any extra funding required for this transition funded by the Foundation. you may say I'm a dreamer but ...........     :)

• Like 1

LIB,  your focus on Doolan returning is a positive thing. But I don’t see McCall staying if we have a proper scout. 

Id give Doolan & Graham or Doolan & Erskine a shot as the management team. Dools & Squiddy were the last two players who actually cared about the badge. 

28 minutes ago, sandy said:

LIB,  your focus on Doolan returning is a positive thing. But I don’t see McCall staying if we have a proper scout. 

Id give Doolan & Graham or Doolan & Erskine a shot as the management team. Dools & Squiddy were the last two players who actually cared about the badge. 

Doolan would never come back after the way he was treated 

Edited by Dick Dastardly