Raith Rovers on Saturday

a f kincaid

9 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

In the last 40 years we’ve promoted a manager from internal on several occasions 

- Peter Cormack

- Derek Johnston 

- Gerry Collins

- Gerry Britton, Derek Whyte

- Tommy Bryce

- Jackie Macnamara

-Alan Archiebald

I'd say it only worked out twice

Peter Cormack wasn't internal. He came from Hibs. Bertie Auld, who left Jags for Hibs demanded a transfer fee for him( I believe we paid £2000 for his services).

25 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

In the last 40 years we’ve promoted a manager from internal on several occasions 

- Peter Cormack

- Derek Johnston 

- Gerry Collins

- Gerry Britton, Derek Whyte

- Tommy Bryce

- Jackie Macnamara

-Alan Archiebald

I'd say it only worked out twice

I know it is Halloween time but no need for that!

Bryce was appointed from outside although he did play as well as manage. I recall him saying he really did not expect to get the job and was just applying to get interview experience!

Somebody said above that McCall should be given until the end of November, and I'd go along with that. If we're  further down the table, then he goes. If we're in the top 4 or 5, then allow him a final chance to do something good with the transfer window. 

Many folk say that every team will have a slump at some point in the season; this is certainly ours, and it's a major one. The question now is how long will it last.

I do, however, disagree with this notion that we have a strong squad. There are too many bang average journeymen in our squad, some of whom shouldn't even be on a professional football journey at all, or at least not one at this level. Big changes required in January. 

It's usually a straight choice between bringing in a manager who has been sacked (often more than once) elsewhere or promote a manager from the current playing staff. If the latter it's often on a temporary-but do well-permanent basis.  That was the case with McNamara and later Archibald.  Both had initial success. Even Britton/Whyte improved a team of losers and didn't meet much opposition when they got the gig full time. But even when things go well we're left with at best a promising coach but someone with next to no managerial experience. The best coach in the world can have poor player spotting ability and know heehaw about contracts etc and as often as not have poor man management skills.

If we don't go down the route of employing in house then as I say the likely incumbent will have been sacked at previous clubs. Sacked for poor results no doubt but you have to know why the results were poor. Otherwise we're likely to end up with a manager who cannot coach or vice versa. 

All that's fairly obvious. McCall won't be sacked because he signed a poor squad or for being wasteful with his budget. He's made a few mistakes in that department but well within tolerance levels. He'll be sacked because his tactics, fitness coaching, team selections etc have too often been woeful. My biggest worry isn't replacing McCall with a better coach and tactician. That shouldn't be too difficult. My fear is we're left with no one to do the things McCall is proven to do well. That fear wouldn't be nearly as strong if the Club wasn't being run in such a rudderless condition as it is presently. A condition so bad as we may not be able to attract the level of candidate we require. 

I think one of the things that's starting to become clearer is that without Docherty and Holt we have no defensive leaders, organisers or communicators. Didn't see anyone barking our orders or correcting onfield mistakes. No way that second goal goes in with either on the park.

Without Graham that problem became even more obvious yesterday. Any idea why he was missing?

We desperately need Docherty back for his on field leadership if nothing else but I'm not sure he can fix not having a left sided centre half who can cover for Milne getting caught to far up the park. It seems to me that teams are now exploiting the space Milne leaves, particularly with no Docherty and Holt to fill in.

When you look at the free agents someone like Kevin McDonald could make a difference to our midfield but there aren't any experienced central defenders about that would help. Someone like Christophe Berra could be good but not sure if he could be persuaded out of retirement or if he's fit enough to play.

At the moment we're trying to make the best fist with the current defensive players. We've tried the following 2 options

1. Back 4 - Hodson, McMillan, Muirhead and Milne  (Akinola and Brownlie are no longer good enough for this) for that to work it means Milne needs to stop going so high but it did work reasonably well for 45 minutes against Queens Park. Also means Turner and Bannigan doing more defensive duties than they have currently shown capable of.

2. Back 5  -  McMillan, Akinola, Muirhead, Brownlie, Milne - suits Milne and McMillan as well as allowing Hodson to play in CDM. However Brownlie and Akinola are still suspect in that formation but its probably the least worst option.

If it was Lambie in charge you could see he would tempted at converting Graham to play centrehalf to stay with a back 4. He won't be quite as cultured as Davy Irons there but he would at least be pretty vocal and good in the air.

8 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

It's usually a straight choice between bringing in a manager who has been sacked (often more than once) elsewhere or promote a manager from the current playing staff. If the latter it's often on a temporary-but do well-permanent basis.  That was the case with McNamara and later Archibald.  Both had initial success. Even Britton/Whyte improved a team of losers and didn't meet much opposition when they got the gig full time. But even when things go well we're left with at best a promising coach but someone with next to no managerial experience. The best coach in the world can have poor player spotting ability and know heehaw about contracts etc and as often as not have poor man management skills.

If we don't go down the route of employing in house then as I say the likely incumbent will have been sacked at previous clubs. Sacked for poor results no doubt but you have to know why the results were poor. Otherwise we're likely to end up with a manager who cannot coach or vice versa. 

All that's fairly obvious. McCall won't be sacked because he signed a poor squad or for being wasteful with his budget. He's made a few mistakes in that department but well within tolerance levels. He'll be sacked because his tactics, fitness coaching, team selections etc have too often been woeful. My biggest worry isn't replacing McCall with a better coach and tactician. That shouldn't be too difficult. My fear is we're left with no one to do the things McCall is proven to do well. That fear wouldn't be nearly as strong if the Club wasn't being run in such a rudderless condition as it is presently. A condition so bad as we may not be able to attract the level of candidate we require. 

The trouble we have LIB is we probably can’t afford to pay off the 3 on the management team .

If you remember when Archibald was relieved of his duties he was put on “ gardening leave “ because they couldn’t give him his pay off at the time .

3 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

The trouble we have LIB is we probably can’t afford to pay off the 3 on the management team .

If you remember when Archibald was relieved of his duties he was put on “ gardening leave “ because they couldn’t give him his pay off at the time .

By that logic we will be in the Lowland League and still with McCall as we can’t afford to sack him. I’d say we have reached the point where we can’t afford to not sack him

35 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I don't think it is as binary as you portray it.

There could be someone coaching at a bigger club who is looking to become a manager in their own right or someone who has recently finished their playing career, has done their coaching badges and is looking for someone to give them their first chance in management.

36 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

By that logic we will be in the Lowland League and still with McCall as we can’t afford to sack him. I’d say we have reached the point where we can’t afford to not sack him

You’re right , but after scrapping teams in the Weir Academy due to cost it’s not looking promising in paying off  McCall and Co anytime soon.

Need leadership at Board Level to push our Club forward, we patently haven’t got that .

16 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Genuine question, McCall Out: Who would you like In?

I have no idea who is available and interested. Do you ?

My preference would be for a young up and coming manager rather than the usual suspects on the gravy train. If they have the right ideas and a plan to fix the mess, I would not be opposed to someone taking up their first manager job.

1 hour ago, McCall Out said:

I have no idea who is available and interested. Do you ?

My preference would be for a young up and coming manager rather than the usual suspects on the gravy train. If they have the right ideas and a plan to fix the mess, I would not be opposed to someone taking up their first manager job.

What's Kris Doolan doing these days?