Summer comings and goings

Jaggernaut

1 hour ago, JAG1970 said:

"I think there will be a couple coming in relatively soon, relatively quickly which will be good"...  says the boss in an interview with the Herald/Times/National, so maybe we will see Williamson + another within the next few days. 

Could be a couple in then Williamson. He's currently in Germany and probably the reason a loan deal hasn't already been signed. Could be of course he's due back this week.  

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Kieran Nguywena reportedly coming on loan from Aberdeen to ourselves 

Slighty concerned by this.

Don't get why a premiership club would loan a young player out to sit on the bench.

I could understand it more if Ngwenya was able to cover as a left sided centre half but he seems pretty much a dedicated leftback.

When you consider that Mackenzie could fill in for a game or two at leftback if Milne wasn't available then having another leftback seems a luxury.

Only way it makes sense is if we are likely to lose Milne.

49 minutes ago, laukat said:

Slighty concerned by this.

Don't get why a premiership club would loan a young player out to sit on the bench.

I could understand it more if Ngwenya was able to cover as a left sided centre half but he seems pretty much a dedicated leftback.

When you consider that Mackenzie could fill in for a game or two at leftback if Milne wasn't available then having another leftback seems a luxury.

Only way it makes sense is if we are likely to lose Milne.

Has Milne fully recovered from injury?

MacKenzie might be loaned out even

8 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

He's kinda versatile, and unlike other youngsters we've loaned out Zander is already up to it physically. Also I think he's at the stage where he's at worst a near certain to be named in most game squads. So probably too good to be considered a periphery player.

On the subject of players going out on loan I wouldn't be that surprised if Dowds was one. Obviously we'd need to sign one (maybe two) front players before that happened. My thinking being a second striker will get a lot of game time as Graham will often run out of steam. You want the sub coming on to offer something different (eg pace,  ball retention). Dowds is basically a replica of Big Brian in style. Just falling way short in effectiveness.

16 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Can't see Mackenzie being loaned out. He provides cover in pretty much all the left-sided positions and probably for both wings. I have more hopes of Mackenzie getting regular game time this season than I do for Lyon, Stanway or Stevenson. 

I think Milne was a hamstring injury so can't see any reason why he wouldn't recover. We seem to have finished extending contracts an Milne hasn't extended. So we either sell now for a reasonable amount or he signs a PCA in January and we get nothing.

Whilst Ngwenya looks a competent Championship left back he would be a pretty big downgrade on Milne.

2 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

He's kinda versatile, and unlike other youngsters we've loaned out Zander is already up to it physically. Also I think he's at the stage where he's at worst a near certain to be named in most game squads. So probably too good to be considered a periphery player.

On the subject of players going out on loan I wouldn't be that surprised if Dowds was one. Obviously we'd need to sign one (maybe two) front players before that happened. My thinking being a second striker will get a lot of game time as Graham will often run out of steam. You want the sub coming on to offer something different (eg pace,  ball retention). Dowds is basically a replica of Big Brian in style. Just falling way short in effectiveness.

Agree with this.

Problem with Dowds, Graham and Mullen last season is they all wanted to play with their back to goal. I think McCall quickly realised that and signed Weston in the hope he would provide pace and get in behind but Weston wasn't really physically ready to play at this level. We only really started to play when we put Tiffoney through the middle and centre halfs started to not know if they should play a high line to combat Graham or play deep to protect against Tiffoney's getting space in behind.

If Dowds does head out I wouldn't be adverse to getting Rudden back. He's by no means perfect but he does have a bit of pace, play on the defender's shoulder and look to beat the offside trap which is a good contrast to Graham.

If we can't get a faster striker I wonder if at some point we might put MacKenzie or Robinson on the wing and play Fitzpatrick through the middle?

27 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I was thinking exactly the same about Mackenzie. Dowds had a good start last season and then seemed to have a series of injuries which he maybe didn’t recover fully from. 

I can see the point of a left sided player the loss of Holt means that Milne would be the only lefty on the books and I would much prefer MacKenzie further forward especially as he is so young and will make mistakes. 

If Robinson is a replacement for Smith that is hopefully an upgrade, Williams for Brownlie time will tell?

32 minutes ago, Juanito said:

I can see the point of a left sided player the loss of Holt means that Milne would be the only lefty on the books and I would much prefer MacKenzie further forward especially as he is so young and will make mistakes. 

If Robinson is a replacement for Smith that is hopefully an upgrade, Williams for Brownlie time will tell?

Viewing those who have arrived as replacements for those who have left is an interesting way of showing how many signings we still have to make.

I think Williams is Holt's replacement, Robinson replaces Turner and Lyon replaces Smith. You could argue that Fitzpatrick takes over Tiffoney's role in the squad and Mackenzie takes on Fitzpatrick's role

If Williamson signs I presume he replaces Docherty

I think that still means we need to as a minimum replace Brownlie, McAvoy, Mullen, McKinnon and Hodson to have similar numbers to last season.  So minimum 5 signings still to make assuming no-one else leaves and we don't view Stanway or Stevenson as being ready yet.

1 hour ago, ThickAsThieves said:

What are the preferred positions of Mackenzie and Stevenson? Left wing for the former?

I’ve seen Stevenson listed as a forward but I think Doolan’s been giving him minutes at full-back this pre-season? 

McKenzie has played right back, left wing and central midfield, so far, in the preseason games.

Stevenson has played left back.

12 hours ago, laukat said:

Viewing those who have arrived as replacements for those who have left is an interesting way of showing how many signings we still have to make.

I think Williams is Holt's replacement, Robinson replaces Turner and Lyon replaces Smith. You could argue that Fitzpatrick takes over Tiffoney's role in the squad and Mackenzie takes on Fitzpatrick's role

If Williamson signs I presume he replaces Docherty

I think that still means we need to as a minimum replace Brownlie, McAvoy, Mullen, McKinnon and Hodson to have similar numbers to last season.  So minimum 5 signings still to make assuming no-one else leaves and we don't view Stanway or Stevenson as being ready yet.

I suspect that we will be going with a smaller squad and would not expect that many more arrivals. Smith, McKinnon and McAvoy had very little impact on last years squad. They won't all be replaced. We do need another recognised central defender and another option up front.

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I suspect that we will be going with a smaller squad and would not expect that many more arrivals. Smith, McKinnon and McAvoy had very little impact on last years squad. They won't all be replaced. We do need another recognised central defender and another option up front.

Certainly, Doolan didn’t use McKinnon or Smith very often but he wasn’t able to use McAvoy who had started to look pretty useful. With McAvoy out, it meant we had no replacement for Muirhead or Brownlie once Milne got injured. So, turning it around, you could argue that McAvoy’s absence affected the squad negatively.

38 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Certainly, Doolan didn’t use McKinnon or Smith very often but he wasn’t able to use McAvoy who had started to look pretty useful. With McAvoy out, it meant we had no replacement for Muirhead or Brownlie once Milne got injured. So, turning it around, you could argue that McAvoy’s absence affected the squad negatively.

Did we not lose McAvoy and holt within the first 30 mins in one game last season and both muirhead and brownlie came on from the bench? Freakish I know but might suggest we need 4 central defenders in the squad.  Putting McMillan at CB blunts our attacking threat...

39 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I still don't think we need more than 3 senior central defenders. Muirhead, Williams and one other. We now have other options for the full backs.

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I still don't think we need more than 3 senior central defenders. Muirhead, Williams and one other. We now have other options for the full backs.

I’m not so sure. The last couple of seasons, I think centre back has been an area where we have been vulnerable either to injury like last season, suspensions or loss of confidence/form.We don’t really know what Williams will turn out like. We are going to need one more and at least someone else who can cover.

On 7/11/2023 at 8:13 PM, partickthedog said:

Agreeing with that. It is time that guys like James Lyon were given a real opportunity, and not constantly pushed back by temporary loan signings. 

One dividend I noted from the latter part of the Kelty friendly is that Lyon, Stanway, Mackenzie etc really know each other's games, and were able to combine effectively (despite Dowds and the trialist striker being ineffective). That is something to be built on in the first team environment, and I hope that will extend to the league itself, not just to friendlies and league cup ties. 

Stanway was excellent vs St Johnstone

2 hours ago, robphil said:

Did we not lose McAvoy and holt within the first 30 mins in one game last season and both muirhead and brownlie came on from the bench? Freakish I know but might suggest we need 4 central defenders in the squad.  Putting McMillan at CB blunts our attacking threat...

Half right. We lost McAvoy at Cappielow but it was Muirhead that went off in that same first half, and Holt replaced him. Holt's injury came about in the League Cup at Pittodrie.

34 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

Kris Doolan to turn to Partick Thistle academy players | Glasgow Times

Seems like the Williamson deal, whilst likely, isn't a certainty. No mention of any other imminent signings. Looks like we'll be going with what we have for the first two cup games at least. 

Does that also suggest that none of the trialists are likely to sign?

Surely if they are unattached and we wanted them it would be done by now?