Peterhead Vs Partick Thistle - Viaplay Cup group B

jagfox

Loads of updates on the site today as the competitive season gets underway...

The Thistle Archive →

:detective:  RECORD SHOOT-OUT MARATHON

● Thistle are back in competitive action after 41 days, setting a brand new club-record for the shortest-ever close season in that category. The previous record (42 days) was set in 1945.
● After featuring in all 52 competitive games of 2022-23, Jack McMillan misses the first such game of 2023-24 through injury before a ball is kicked!
● For only the second time in history, Thistle list 2 substitute goalkeepers, David Mithchell and Mason McCready creating the rare stat. We first seen such a thing on 4th May 2021 when Jamie Sneddon and Mason McCready were both listed on the bench. Almost unbelievably, Peterhead also list 2 sub 'keepers, meaning that there were an unprecedented SIX goalkeepers on the teamsheet!
● Thistle's 78th League Cup campaign gets underway. They've reached the final on 4 occasions, but haven't so much as reached a semi final since 1975.
● After just 2 minutes and 6 seconds of play, Harry Milne of Partick Thistle scores the first competitive goal of the Scottish football season for 2023-24. Shea Gordon was the last Jag to do such a thing back in July 2018.
● Amazingly, Thistle have now scored in TWELVE consecutive first halves. It's the longest such run since March 1938, when an impressive 14-in-a-row was registered.
● For the first-time in history, two consecutive competitive Partick Thistle matches are concluded by a penalty shoot-out.
● New club-records in a penalty shoot-out are set from every angle; most taken (24), highest aggregate (19), and most scored by Thistle (10). The previous goals record (7-8) was set in 2005 vs. St Johnstone. Ben Stanway & Steven Lawless score two apiece and Jamie Sneddon secures the bonus point by saving the 24th kick from (former Jag) Andy McCarthy!
Jamie Sneddon retains his 100% success rate in penalty shoot-outs, now with 3 successful contests. In this regard, he takes over from Jonny Tuffey as the statistical #1, Tuffey having been a winner in 2 out of 2 contests. Kenny Arthur remains #1 in terms of overall wins, having been successful in 4 of his 7 contests.
● What is it with Thistle and teams from the North? Peterhead join Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Ross County and St Johnstone as the clubs with most penalty shoot-outs contests with the Jags, all now sitting at three apiece.
● In purely Scottish terms, back to back competitive games in Dingwall and Peterhead represents the second longest two-game jaunt in the club's history. Based on distancecalculator.net's town centre to town centre mileage, the 716 miles round trip is beaten only by the two games in Dingwall (724 miles) played in October 2010.

ongoing sequences:
● 8 competitive home games without defeat; 4th Mar 2023 to date. (Longest run since: 8 games; 3rd Mar 2020 to 5th Dec 2020. Club-record: 24 games; 5th May 2001 to 17th Aug 2002.)
● 29 consecutive competitive appearances for Aidan Fitzpatrick, 3rd Dec 2022 to date, a new personal best. (Longest run since: Jack McMillan - 52 games, 9th Jul 2022 to 4th Jun 2023. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

This. For the clubs it is all about money and they make more from league cup games than they do from friendlies.

I suspect that the fans would prefer friendlies against clubs we wouldn’t normally play against 

Yep. Already going to meet DAB's 5 times this season. League Cup completely lost any worth when euro qualification was taken away. Nowadays it's just a kick about for clubs with half a squad and half fit. 

And the format is guff.

45 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Yep. Already going to meet DAB's 5 times this season. League Cup completely lost any worth when euro qualification was taken away. Nowadays it's just a kick about for clubs with half a squad and half fit. 

And the format is guff.

It’s got some value if you manage to get through the groups and the further you go.

11 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Yes. But it is just a warm up event nowadays. Not a really competitive competition. And a lot of clubs use as  pre season. 

Format has to change.

Don’t disagree. I think the SPFL meant for it to replace pre season games, but because the “big clubs” enter the competition later on, there is pressure to try to qualify and get a game vs one of them.

17 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Yes. But it is just a warm up event nowadays. Not a really competitive competition. And a lot of clubs use as  pre season. 

Format has to change.

It replaces pre-season friendlies with competitive games and gives the lower league clubs some revenue, as they get to play 3 or 4 games, instead of being knocked out in the first round.

The League Cup proper starts after the group matches and is pretty relevant as far as I'm concerned. 

I'd celebrate like there was no tomorrow if we won it.

You just have to listen to the ugly sisters going on about "doing the treble" to know the League Cup still has relevance.

I'm not going to knock the format when I consider the silly wee incestuous leagues by far the bigger bugbear. Get that sorted and you can tailor the League Cup to suit. That could mean in practice we'd be playing the likes of Dundee Utd a max of 3 times rather than 5. Omitting of course any Scottish Cup games.

2 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

And the format is guff.

New season but still old moaning you .

40 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

You just have to listen to the ugly sisters going on about "doing the treble" to know the League Cup still has relevance.

I'm not going to knock the format when I consider the silly wee incestuous leagues by far the bigger bugbear. Get that sorted and you can tailor the League Cup to suit. That could mean in practice we'd be playing the likes of Dundee Utd a max of 3 times rather than 5. Omitting of course any Scottish Cup games.

They straight knockout format we had was far better.

I don't mind the league cup format. Its better than meaningless friendlies.

However the league cup has been massively devalued since the introduction of the transfer window. Unless the tournament starts after the window closes the early rounds are always going to see clubs field youngsters and teams that look a million miles away from the team that will compete in the league or Scottish cup.

I would prefer if they moved the league cup to start in late August and played the Challenge cup in July as a way of making pre-season games semi-competitive.

2 minutes ago, laukat said:

I don't mind the league cup format. Its better than meaningless friendlies.

However the league cup has been massively devalued since the introduction of the transfer window. Unless the tournament starts after the window closes the early rounds are always going to see clubs field youngsters and teams that look a million miles away from the team that will compete in the league or Scottish cup.

I would prefer if they moved the league cup to start in late August and played the Challenge cup in July as a way of making pre-season games semi-competitive.

Agree with starting the Challenge cup first, and allow trialists to play without them being cup tied.

3 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

and play offs (unless your league re-organisation gets rid of them).

I have zero expectation of these games. Anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of these early fixtures knows they amount to a very slight up from a friendly ( as others have said ). Would I like more in. Yes. But football very transient these days. I await with interest the final squad. Onwards 

• Like 1