Dundee Utd Vs Partick Thistle - Viaplay Cup group B

elevenone

Match day (or night).  Was really not optimistic about this fixture but maybe Utd’s shocker at weekend has given some hope as Goodwin under immediate pressure.  Given size of squad cannot see too much difference to Sat’s starting line up other than injured Bannigan dropping out.  A win tonight even on pens again would put us in good position with 2 home games left.

0-0 and Jags to win 18-17 on pens with Holt missing for them my prediction 😁

3 hours ago, Anniesland Jag said:

A tad nervous about this one given size of our squad ,growing injury list and lack of experience in midfield .DUFC will probably have reaction after last Saturday, bounce back and look to be adding another striker to squad today by all accounts …. so a potentially torrid night in store .

If you were looking ahead to any League Cup game from yon bleak morning a mere six weeks ago,, we'd be worried if we'd even have eleven players for tonight. The picture is slightly rosier now than painted back the,n but just to be able to compete tonight might be considered an achievement.

Doolan is clearly accepting that these games are merely a stepping stone to the start of the League campaign. That's not to say we won't be going all out to win nor to say we don't value the League Cup. More an acceptance of facts. For all we know funding and/or cash flow may be that tight we require a home game or two to afford further signings.  All that said I hate losing to this lot. Hate losing at all but even more so to Dundee Utd. 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

3 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

If you were looking ahead to any League Cup game from yon bleak morning a mere six weeks ago,, we'd be worried if we'd even have eleven players for tonight. The picture is slightly rosier now than painted back the,n but just to be able to compete tonight might be considered an achievement.

Doolan is clearly accepting that these games are merely a stepping stone to the start of the League campaign. That's not to say we won't be going all out to win nor to say we don't value the League Cup. More an acceptance of facts. For all we know funding and/or cash flow may be that tight we require a home game or two to afford further signings.  All that said I hate losing to this lot. Hate losing at all but even more so to Dundee Utd. 

As its a cup game we gate 40% of the gate and also £17000 for it being shown on TV

4 hours ago, Anniesland Jag said:

A tad nervous about this one given size of our squad ,growing injury list and lack of experience in midfield .DUFC will probably have reaction after last Saturday, bounce back and look to be adding another striker to squad today by all accounts …. so a potentially torrid night in store .

I have the same concerns.

I think tonight will largely depend on what mood Dundee United are in. If the players they have at their disposal play to their full potential we could struggle badly. However Jim Goodwin must already be fearing for his job and with a fair degree of pressure on them they could well fail to perform.

My bigger worry is that we are asking someone like Milne to play two 90 minute games in 4 days when he is just back from injury. We run the risk of getting more injuries because we can't rest anyone. 

43 minutes ago, laukat said:

I have the same concerns.

I think tonight will largely depend on what mood Dundee United are in. If the players they have at their disposal play to their full potential we could struggle badly. However Jim Goodwin must already be fearing for his job and with a fair degree of pressure on them they could well fail to perform.

My bigger worry is that we are asking someone like Milne to play two 90 minute games in 4 days when he is just back from injury. We run the risk of getting more injuries because we can't rest anyone. 

For tonight Jim Goodwin is our biggest asset. And to think that at one time I fancied him as a replacement for McCall. 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McD said:

Can't see why posters on here are calling it a Diddy cup?..  so in 1971 we won a worthless trophy, I don't think so..

Back in 1971 there was no preferential treatment for the "bigger" clubs, there was no seeding to give the "bigger clubs" an easier ride into the latter stages to which they have already been parachuted in the first place - there was also no nonsense like 5 team groups (with all the potential for "manufactured" results that that could bring) and no bonus points for penalty kick winners. In my view the competition itself has been devalued by these changes and that, as a cup competition, it certainly isn't what it used to be - mind you neither is the so called "Champions League" which is as far away from  the format of the old European Cup as the Viaplay Cup is from the old League Cup.

Perhaps these changes haven't exactly made it a "diddy" cup but they certainly haven't, in my view, enhanced it in comparison with its predecessor.   

• Like 1