Hearts Viaplay Cup - Sunday 20 August

jagfox

43 minutes ago, javeajag said:

It may have been …..but your predictive ability is unproven unless you know the lottery numbers this week?

to be clear we changed manager apparently to get promotion …..we failed in that objective …..who carried the can ? 

We changed manager to have an improved chance of promotion. What happened thereafter clearly demonstrated the decision was right ( timing not withstanding ) for the overwhelming majority of our support.  Its really very simple unless you have a rather skewed view of things. 

I don't like using stats to prove a point but they certainly support Doolan over McCall. League games were.......

McCall- 10W 3D 10L. I can't see how projecting that form forward would've got us anywhere near promotion.

Doolan- 11W 6D 2L. Significant improvement. So you could argue that the Board were slow to change manager, Should've been in more of a rush, perhaps?

As I say I'm not one for stats, especially in hindsight, and I wasn't one calling for McCall to go. However I'm not in the least displeased with the decision.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dl1971 said:

We changed manager to have an improved chance of promotion. What happened thereafter clearly demonstrated the decision was right ( timing not withstanding ) for the overwhelming majority of our support.  Its really very simple unless you have a rather skewed view of things. 

Well we were one point off fourth , McCall got sacked and we finished fourth thanks to other results and didn’t get promoted.

that is failure.

9 minutes ago, Tom Hosie said:

Can't believe that anyone thinks that the change in management didn't bring us closer to promotion than had there be no change. 

If anything subsequent events are an argument that a change should have been made earlier. 

Well maybe because it’s ‘thinks’ and no one knows what no change would have resulted in……but in fact we didn’t get promoted so the change failed in that respect.

2 hours ago, javeajag said:

Well we were one point off fourth , McCall got sacked and we finished fourth thanks to other results and didn’t get promoted.

that is failure.

Yes, indeed we failed to get promoted.

While it is an opinion, the fact that results improved under Doolan, an inexperienced manager, took an experienced manager's squad and got them so close, when under McCall we were clearly going in the wrong direction and his squad had downed tools on him.

Hiding behind the display at Ibrox, doesn't justify the argument for keeping McCall.

His dismissal was justified.

And as for relying on other teams results for us to get 4th.  We didn't rely on other teams to do it, we got their with our own results. 

We were losing and out of top 4, when we equalised and got 4th.

It isn't unusual in football that teams fail or succeed due to other teams results!

12 hours ago, javeajag said:

It may have been …..but your predictive ability is unproven unless you know the lottery numbers this week?

to be clear we changed manager apparently to get promotion …..we failed in that objective …..who carried the can ? 

If anything the mistake appears to have been not making the change earlier.

Doolan’s points per game total was better than any team in the league. Ian McCall’s very wasn’t.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 7:14 PM, javeajag said:

who in a fan owned club should decide if potential investment is acceptable or not ? And who should know the broad outlines of what’s being proposed? And how should this shared with nominal fan owners?

Looking forward to your nomination for the TJF Board at the next election. 

1 hour ago, Woodstock Jag said:

If anything the mistake appears to have been not making the change earlier.

Doolan’s points per game total was better than any team in the league. Ian McCall’s very wasn’t.

A legitimate view and one I had sympathy with at the time …..but ultimately we failed