Jags V Subsea Utd

Aberdeenjag

13 minutes ago, Fearchar said:

Perhaps we should go all-out for a continental arrangement and appoint a Director of Football to hire and fire, leaving Doolan to coach the first team. It's clear that we have one or two gaps: an outright hard man that won't accept defeat and a defensive midfielder. (They could be the same person.)

I could make a case for that person being ian McCall ….

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Our budget will still be a lot more than many other championship teams and he has wasted some of what he has got.

Robinson on 2 years when there are very serious concerns about fitness.

signing Williams on 2 years- what scouting was actually done on this one?

was McDonald signed because of how good he was in YouTube videos 

I’ve also previously expressed concerns about the resigning of some players who are nothing better than average 

Re Budget, possibly that’s the player level we can afford just now 

We’re 3rd in the league just now , if we finish there it’s been a good season .

19 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Thats never going to happen ( not because of anything he has done before the rumour mill starts ) 

its simply never going to happen - we would rather pay him every month to wander around byres rd 

He’s always wandered around Byres Rd regardless!!

9 hours ago, scotty said:

We were too slow all game. From Sneddon forward.

That's my major criticism of Sneddon. Loves to leave the ball on the ground while he looks around the park for where to boot it, then pretends to be about to boot it when a player starts to run in on him, player stops, so more looking around by Sneddon before finally, the (too often inaccurate) punt. Or, loves just standing clutching the ball, , looking around as if he'll boot it, but then after 10 seconds he rolls it 3 yards to a defender, who then boots it........

And this is all when we are trailing the other team by one or more goals!!

Edited by Jaggernaut
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Please don’t 

People say we lost our four best players…..holt, turner, doc and tiff…..who signed them? Whatever you say about  McCall he has an eye for a player.

i remember a few people saying Doolan will be good in bringing in players …..dear oh dear 

12 hours ago, Bryza said:

All of this.
A bang average United team shows us how below average we really are.

Would just like to add, its good to know an elbow to the face and a push in the back are on par and merit a yellow and also kicking a player on the head while is on the ground from being fouled doesn't merit a talking to.

It’s a pretty important point. The kick in the head to McInroy and Elbow in the face were by the same player, who should have been off the park, before Holt is allowed the freedom of Firhill. We also should have had a penalty in the 1st half when Lawless was tugged just before having a shot. The ref definitely favoured Utd. Having said that, there is no excuse for the way the team gave up after the 2nd goal.

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

People say we lost our four best players…..holt, turner, doc and tiff…..who signed them? Whatever you say about  McCall he has an eye for a player.

i remember a few people saying Doolan will be good in bringing in players …..dear oh dear 

He also had a budget for a player.

20 minutes ago, scotty said:

He also had a budget for a player.

Can add to that as well , Tiff and Holt had already been Premier League players, Doc was his Captain down at Ayr , which leaves Kyle who had already played circa 150 senior games , hardly an eye for a player.

Just now where we are at we should be scouting at lower league level , developing our Academy players etc

With our budget constraints it’s the only way .

McCall did bring these players in but now we are suffering as a Club because he was miles over budget and that’s the legacy he leaves.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, javeajag said:

Conveniently forgetting some of the duds that he signed. He signed some good ones and some bad ones, same as any other manager. I suspect on balance his recruitment was average.

Re Doolan, we have no idea on the respective budgets. Currently his team are far exceeded my expectations at the start of the season.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Can add to that as well , Tiff and Holt had already been Premier League players, Doc was his Captain down at Ayr , which leaves Kyle who had already played circa 150 senior games , hardly an eye for a player.

Just now where we are at we should be scouting at lower league level , developing our Academy players etc

With our budget constraints it’s the only way .

McCall did bring these players in but now we are suffering as a Club because he was miles over budget and that’s the legacy he leaves.

Ok…..so give me the budget comparisons of McCall v doolan ….oh you can’t ?

how does our budget compare to the rest of the league ? ….oh you don’t know 

what did doolan spent the budget overspend he was given on ?……Alston 

3 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Conveniently forgetting some of the duds that he signed. He signed some good ones and some bad ones, same as any other manager. I suspect on balance his recruitment was average.

Re Doolan, we have no idea on the respective budgets. Currently his team are far exceeded my expectations at the start of the season.

Then we would be underperforming given our budget compared to other teams in the league.

our budget is sufficient to be in the top four of this league.

With regards to thread title noticed about 10 guys in new Thistle tops in pub after game.

Turns out they were German sailors who take in a game when in port. (Had thought of the Rangers, but no tickets.)

They all bought a top and tickets, shame about the result.

Noticed quite a few new punters around my section, including a certain Charlie Mulgrew and his kids. 

We always seem to fall flat when we get a decent crowd in?

• Like 1

The reality of what the game showed us ( and the one against Arbroath ) is that we won't be challenging for the title. I think Dundee United are far superior to Dundee of last year. So realistically we were unlikely to challenge as this team is not as good as 22/23.  Given the financial state of flux its play offs at best. As for Doolans signings to date the jury is well and truly out. For a new manager not exactly surprising, but yes he will and should be judged. If we can get mcmillan back soon and milne gets back to last year's form that would make a huge difference. Last point some posters suggested that some players were passable yesterday ( strong drink must have been taken ) but this was a collective failure all over the park ( bar lawless maybe for some of first half ). Last point. I hope Muirhead has a large fine coming for getting sent off in his historically stupid manner. Utterly pointless. 

28 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

I could make a case for that not happening, Mansell , Akinola , Lyons , Brownlie etc 

Mansell was signed by Caldwell. Akinola looked a good defender until whatever happened, Brownlie likewise until he got injured. Not sure who Lyons is but I am perplexed why James Lyon was given a two year extension but is behind Williamson, Alston & McInroy who have been overwhelmingly unimpressive. 

12 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Obviously not the same budget as McCall or we wouldn’t be in the mess we are in financially

Are we financially in a mess? I have been reading about the Directors falling out over which £500,000 investment to take up.

There are valid criticisms to be made about McCall such as his reluctance to use sports science and match analysis but he didn't set the playing budget.

3 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

Are we financially in a mess? I have been reading about the Directors falling out over which £500,000 investment to take up.

There are valid criticisms to be made about McCall such as his reluctance to use sports science and match analysis but he didn't set the playing budget.

9 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

Mansell was signed by Caldwell. Akinola looked a good defender until whatever happened, Brownlie likewise until he got injured. Not sure who Lyons is but I am perplexed why James Lyon was given a two year extension but is behind Williamson, Alston & McInroy who have been overwhelmingly unimpressive. 

Blair Lyons

Re James Lyon , came into the team , did well and also scored a few goals, now can’t even get into the squad.