Arbroath Vs Partick Thistle

jagfox

11 hours ago, allyo said:

Seems to be a mantra! :)

If we just take a point every week through the season we probably get relegated!

Allyo

An unintentional "mantra" - although looking back I take your point - I will try to be less predictable in my predictions in future!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McD said:

Poor Arbroath support.. compared to what they had when doing well..

Apart from their 2 games vs Dundee Utd their attendances have been between 1500 and 1700 this season. This is similar to last season.

I couldn't make the game today so sorry about that. Various ailments one of which flared up yesterday sufficiently  to restrict me to the house.

I see Doolan saying we had two goals chopped off and one effort which hit the past and may have crossed the line.

Why were the goals chopped off and are there any views on whether or not the post effort crossed the line?

3 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

I couldn't make the game today so sorry about that. Various ailments one of which flared up yesterday sufficiently  to restrict me to the house.

I see Doolan saying we had two goals chopped off and one effort which hit the past and may have crossed the line.

Why were the goals chopped off and are there any views on whether or not the post effort crossed the line?

I don't think the whole ball crossed the line. Robinson looked clearly offside for our second chalked off goal. The way things are these days we may have had a decent shout for a handball penalty.

Hope your health quickly improves.

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I don't think the whole ball crossed the line. Robinson looked clearly offside for our second chalked off goal. The way things are these days we may have had a decent shout for a handball penalty.

Hope your health quickly improves.

Thank you. At my age mid-70s it would be unusual not to have some ailments. I am very fortunate to have nothing too serious, so far. I think I over did the DIY and issues with my hips flared up. I will be OK in a few days. The irony is that Arbroath is only a 90 min drive and is one of the fixtures I can normally get to.

Anyway as others have said 3 points and a clean sheet - a good days work. 

Thanks again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Actually it is more. Morton can get to 58 if they win all their games, so we need 13. Airdrie can get to 60 even if Morton beat them.

We can get to 64pts.

If you accept that teams down to Ayr (currently 8th) are in the fight for a play-off place then with the exception of Dunfermline and the Jags, Morton play all the teams between 8th and 1st.

Airdrie,  with the exception of a game v Arbroath , also play all the teams involved in the fight for a top 4 place.

I expect that every week until the end of the season there will be at least two or more games featuring teams playing against each other and who are  play-off hopefuls. So I anticipate many must win 6 pointers!!

We are fortunste to have a little bit of daylight between us and the chasing pack.  Therefore Kris Doolan and his squad should be focused on playing (and winning) one game at a time. Let the rest hang themselves.

9 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Actually it is more. Morton can get to 58 if they win all their games, so we need 13. Airdrie can get to 60 even if Morton beat them.

I reckon 2 more wins will be enough for top 4. Hopefully we don't need to endure the nail-biting last regular day trauma of last season, and we can just look forward to the trauma of the play-offs instead.

1 hour ago, allyo said:

I reckon 2 more wins will be enough for top 4. Hopefully we don't need to endure the nail-biting last regular day trauma of last season, and we can just look forward to the trauma of the play-offs instead.

If in fact 2 more wins were to suffice it could mean our games away to Raith and home to Dundee Utd become less meaningful to us but extremely meaningful to both opponents. A more likely scenario is our final game against Dundee Utd will be largely academic to us and the complete opposite to Utd. A bumper away crowd that day.

39 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

If in fact 2 more wins were to suffice it could mean our games away to Raith and home to Dundee Utd become less meaningful to us but extremely meaningful to both opponents. A more likely scenario is our final game against Dundee Utd will be largely academic to us and the complete opposite to Utd. A bumper away crowd that day.

Our game v Dundee Utd is at Tannadice .

17 hours ago, Jimmy McD said:

They announced the crowd as 2085..540Thistle fan's..

Just following up on this. I have now seen it in 3 places as 1048 which I am sure is wrong. Really a question for the archivists. Is there somewhere that “official” attendances are logged ?

Although not an "official" source The Thistle Archive is the best place in the world for Thistle attendances, since we put so much effort into getting it right, way beyond what anyone else does. As with many aspects of our data collection, we've got a published policy in place for it, and we dig and dig and dig, season in, season out, across every single era, aligning with experts wherever we can. Many of our attendance figures post-war come from the official Scottish League submission, which was a mandatory requirement for clubs to make. If we can't get an exact figure, we go with the contemporary average, often from several papers.

Re the latest debacle, it's often the case that one representative from OPTA supplies data which feeds multiple stats sites (including the SPFL) and if they get it wrong, multiple sites accept the feed and also get it wrong. We see this on assists every other week. And don't get us started on Brian Graham's imaginary "hat-trick"!

Anyway, according to our policy, we accept the figure given by the home club as being definitive, and Arbroath say 2,048, so we go with that.

• Like 1

Most of the post-Arbroath updates are now in place at your Archive...

Arbroath 0 Thistle 1 →

:detective:  WE DO LIKE TO BE BESIDE THE SEASIDE

● For the third game in a row, the full matchday squad is Scottish-born.
● 17-year-old Thomas Horn becomes the 2,025th Jag in our A-Z of first team players.
● In all competitions, we've now seen a first half goal in 25 consecutive Partick Thistle matches, the longest such run since 1959 (25).
Aidan Fitzpatrick hits double figures in our competitive goals chart for 2023-24.
● 4 of Aidan Fitzpatrick's 10 goals this season have been scored against Arbroath. His 5-goal total against the Red Lichties is bettered only by Denis McQuade (7).
● For the first time in history, Partick Thistle register back-to-back league wins at Gayfield! It's one of 5 club-records on the go versus Arbroath, 3 league wins on the trot also being an historical first.

ongoing sequences:
● 24 games in 3rd place, an extension of the club-record for a position outwith outright top or bottom.
● 58 consecutive competitive appearances for Steven Lawless, 18th Feb 2023 to date, a new personal best. (Longest run since: Chris Erskine - 70 games, 27th Aug 2011 to 2nd Mar 2013. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)

50 minutes ago, The Thistle Archive said:

Although not an "official" source The Thistle Archive is the best place in the world for Thistle attendances, since we put so much effort into getting it right, way beyond what anyone else does. As with many aspects of our data collection, we've got a published policy in place for it, and we dig and dig and dig, season in, season out, across every single era, aligning with experts wherever we can. Many of our attendance figures post-war come from the official Scottish League submission, which was a mandatory requirement for clubs to make. If we can't get an exact figure, we go with the contemporary average, often from several papers.

Re the latest debacle, it's often the case that one representative from OPTA supplies data which feeds multiple stats sites (including the SPFL) and if they get it wrong, multiple sites accept the feed and also get it wrong. We see this on assists every other week. And don't get us started on Brian Graham's imaginary "hat-trick"!

Anyway, according to our policy, we accept the figure given by the home club as being definitive, and Arbroath say 2,048, so we go with that.

That's the most sensible thing to do. Maybe tho' an asterisk required for some of those league games up at Dingwall? 😀

• Like 1