Partick Thistle 🔴🟡 Vs The Vile Diamond ♦️♦️

jagfox

9 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

It looks like it on a wee map, but I think we need VAR to confirm. 

There’s something like 0.1 of a degree of latitude in it whatever that means.

Best not to mention VAR and Dingwall in the same sentence. :whistling:

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

It could come down to where the grounds are relative to the town centre. Certainly very close on the map I have

7 hours ago, michael m said:

Whilst we are on wonderful stats a word for my Jagzone co-comm Christopher Dobie who came out with the wonderful stat that he has shared on air - that since returning to the club Aidan Fitzpatrick has not scored an away goal south of the Tay Bridge! That my friends requires a doffed cap!

Thanks for this Michael - I was kinda wondering what you were on about with that quip!!! Yes, hats off to Christopher, he's like our own Derek Rae with all that prep, and I'm always impressed with his ability to call tricky assists and whatnot in real time. The two of you are a great combo, you with your "back in the day young man" routine and all that!

9 hours ago, jaggy said:

Was that the season of multiple cup replays v Clyde & Killie?

Yes, 7 goals from those 2 cup ties alone. On our Archive, we break down every goal by every player in history on their page...

http://thethistlearchive.net/maurice-johnston

7 hours ago, laukat said:

That's quite an interesting list. The name that caught my eye was Kenny Watson.

37 goals playing in defensive positions and in some our poorest teams is some return at a time when we were constantly circling the drain of relegation to the then bottom rung of the league structure.  Probably helped save the existence of the club in what was an incredibly bleak period.

Yes, taking penalties really boosted Kenny's tally (see 'Every Penalty' tab)
http://thethistlearchive.net/kenny-watson

6 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I'm for sure not looking forward to a third consecutive failure to win promotion through the play-offs. Would that be a first for any team? Would we ever be in a position to call any other team "bottlers"?

No, there's been quite a few. QP failed 5-in-a-row from 2008-09. At top-tier level we've also seen Dundee United and Hibs fail 3-in-a-row. Special mention for Glasgow Rangers who have had 3 play-off seasons and failed in their objective every time.

6 hours ago, partickthedog said:

So Brian scores against Ayr and grabs a double at Dundee United. He enters the PTFC history books as

• First double Grand Slammer
  • Highest post-war league goals in a season scorer
  • Highest lower league total goal scorer ever

The Archive congratulates Brian on his 12 goals in our successful play off run, but refuses to sanction any further awards.

Next season he cannot add to his lower league tally so contents himself with another post war record 25 league goals, including a season record 3 Grand Slams against Celtic, Rangers and Hearts.

The manager then releases him as he is sneaking uncomfortably close to 121 competitive goals for Thistle.

You read it here first.

This is a bit far fetched, can't see Doolan acting like that. He'll get the boots back on when BBG gets near, and a ding-dong battle for supremacy will ensue, the end result being that both men will shake on it at 150 apiece before retiring simultaneously after the 4-0 Scottish Cup final win over Ross County in 2027-28 in which both have scored a brace.

6 hours ago, laukat said:

Its rare to see any team win promotion via the Premier league playoffs as they are constructed to minimise relegation so personally I think if we are looking for "bottlers" you have to look at our teams that were relegated via the premier league playoffs. 

Another one for the Statto's but are we the only club to have been relegated twice from the top league via the playoffs?

Yes, and we're the only one to have lost both legs too, we were pathetic at Firhill that day.

4 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Fitzpatrick has scored away at both the most northerly and southerly based Scottish clubs we have faced in competitive football.

We've never played Elgin, right?

In first team terms just one friendly meeting...

http://thethistlearchive.net/match-1956-05-05

3 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

"The Prisoner:" Maybe the best ever series in the history of television.

Oh yes, will watch it for a third time one of these days!

Edited by The Thistle Archive
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

The town centre of Buckie is at 57.6774 N. Dingwall is at 57.5953 N which makes a difference of 0.0823 degrees of latitude.

One degree of latitude equates to 69 miles, so that means that Buckie town centre is 5.6787 miles further north than Dingwall. Even allowing for the grounds being out side of the town centres, I think we can conclude tha Victoria Park in Buckie is further north than Victoria Park in Dingwall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

The town centre of Buckie is at 57.6774 N. Dingwall is at 57.5953 N which makes a difference of 0.0823 degrees of latitude.

One degree of latitude equates to 69 miles, so that means that Buckie town centre is 5.6787 miles further north than Dingwall. Even allowing for the grounds being out side of the town centres, I think we can conclude tha Victoria Park in Buckie is further north than Victoria Park in Dingwall.

Have we played in Buckie ?

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I could've just edited my post to "senior clubs" but I thought I'd give you some latitude.

Oh! And I haven't checked but I hope Stranraer is further south than Annan or Gretna.

Stranraer is the most southerly, by a margin, but might not be a senior club for much longer

8 hours ago, JeanieD said:

East and west? Peterhead and Stranraer (again)?

I’ve not checked, but I suspect that Berwick would be the most Easterly where we have played 

2 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Would Annan be high? Feels quite Southern Uplandish?

Excelsior in Airdrie is the highest in the top 4 leagues 

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I’ve not checked, but I suspect that Berwick would be the most Easterly where we have played 

Excelsior in Airdrie is the highest in the top 4 leagues 

I will defer to your superior knowledge as regards Airdrie. It does seem surprising as it is very much part of the central Lowlands. You come off the M8 and there are no particularly steep climbs. The stadium itself lies down in a dip. I suppose it demonstrates just how low lying all our stadiums are.

Just wondering about St Johnstone. There are a few hills in the motorway north of Stirling. But then again, you would have a fairly level drive from there to the Tay estuary!

Maybe if we moved Firhill north across the Nolly to the top of the hill in Ruchill Park we could get into the Guinness Book of Records.

18 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

I will defer to your superior knowledge as regards Airdrie. It does seem surprising as it is very much part of the central Lowlands. You come off the M8 and there are no particularly steep climbs. The stadium itself lies down in a dip. I suppose it demonstrates just how low lying all our stadiums are.

Just wondering about St Johnstone. There are a few hills in the motorway north of Stirling. But then again, you would have a fairly level drive from there to the Tay estuary!

Maybe if we moved Firhill north across the Nolly to the top of the hill in Ruchill Park we could get into the Guinness Book of Records.

According to wikipedia it is the highest - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excelsior_Stadium

Always surprises me that West Brom is the highest in England

• Thanks 1