Crowd On Saturday

Fawlty Towers

Part of the discussion on Wednesday night was about if improved performances & results result in improved attendances. Given that we are on a decent run, Dunfermline play decent football, it is pay day for a lot of people on Friday and the weather forecast is decent can we expect a bigger than average crowd (which is 2,160) on Saturday?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of the discussion on Wednesday night was about if improved performances & results result in improved attendances. Given that we are on a decent run, Dunfermline play decent football, it is pay day for a lot of people on Friday and the weather forecast is decent can we expect a bigger than average crowd (which is 2,160) on Saturday?

No :P

One of the problems with out low average attendance is the severe lack of away supports, yes our home support isn't great these days, but we are left behind with Dunfermline, Falkirk, Raith etc having 'derbies' every few weeks, increasing both the home & away supports.

You may also find if there was more of an away support inside Firhill it may increase the amount of home fans, creates a better atmosphere.

Our home support is poor, but our away support is still as good as anyone's in the division at most games.

For Saturday, I would say about 2,500-2,700. Depends what Dungfermline bring.

Edited by 1 John Lambie

One of the problems with out low average attendance is the severe lack of away supports, yes our home support isn't great these days, but we are left behind with Dunfermline, Falkirk, Raith etc having 'derbies' every few weeks, increasing both the home & away supports.You may also find if there was more of an away support inside Firhill it may increase the amount of home fans, creates a better atmosphere.Our home support is poor, but our away support is still as good as anyone's in the division at most games.For Saturday, I would say about 2,500-2,700. Depends what Dungfermline bring.

This is of course true, but I would hope that recent postponments, and the fact that both teams are playing quite well just now, would result in a largish crowd on Saturday. Most people will have been paid by Saturday (except for people with crap employers who change their pay date to the last day of the month on a whim :whistling:) and even though I went to the Falkirk replay, i'm gagging to see the Jags again. I'm cr@p at estimating the crowd even when i'm a part of it, but i'm hoping we can keep up the improved atmosphere recently, and the team can do it on the park.

The Pars support last time wasn't very good from what I remember. What was the attendance? Yes, with them top and us hopefully on the mend I'd hope for much better than that, but I mean hope. I remember us playing them in the Leishman days and there being about 6,500 there. Seems like a very long time ago.

More evidence that our game is slowly dying?

Edited by beep0608

The Pars support last time wasn't very good from what I remember. What was the attendance? Yes, with them top and us hopefully on the mend I'd hope for much better than that, but I mean hope. I remember us playing them in the Leishman days and there being about 6,500 there. Seems like a very long time ago.

More evidence that our game is slowly dying?

Would a wee advert on Radio Clyde reminding people the game is on and the fact under 16's get in free cost a lot? As an observation, we seem to be clashing with Rangers home games a lot recently - I know this to my cost as I get held up by the extra traffic on the M8! This probably doesnt help our crowds as there might be some that would come to our game if they weren't playing. In addition the thought of fighting through the traffic to get to Firhill might be putting off some of our not so diehard fans. Perhaps if the weather picks up and we do our best to encourage at least one lapsed fan to come along we could aim to get closer to the 3000 mark. Without doubt the biggest problem is obviously lack of disposable money and the fact it costs £17 to walk up and buy a ticket. No matter how much I love our Team I would struggle badly to convince folk it is value for money.

Would a wee advert on Radio Clyde reminding people the game is on and the fact under 16's get in free cost a lot? As an observation, we seem to be clashing with Rangers home games a lot recently - I know this to my cost as I get held up by the extra traffic on the M8! This probably doesnt help our crowds as there might be some that would come to our game if they weren't playing. In addition the thought of fighting through the traffic to get to Firhill might be putting off some of our not so diehard fans. Perhaps if the weather picks up and we do our best to encourage at least one lapsed fan to come along we could aim to get closer to the 3000 mark. Without doubt the biggest problem is obviously lack of disposable money and the fact it costs £17 to walk up and buy a ticket. No matter how much I love our Team I would struggle badly to convince folk it is value for money.

I think that a radio advert does cost a fair bit, I have been putting adverts on Radio Clyde's "what's on" page as it is free during the last few months but whether it is making a differnce is another question.

http://www.clyde1.com/community/communityCalendar.asp?DATE=29/01/2011

A bit of marketing wouldn't go a miss for any business. We had got a bit of momentum in this regard last season but we appear to be back to square one once again.

People that have been staying away will be unaware that we have been playing some really good stuff in the past 3 games, they will be unaware that a few of the youngsters look like the real deal, they will be unaware the atmosphere has improved from the fans. The draw and one goal victory against Falkirk give no indication of how well we played and a 6-1 against Stirling is easily dimissed because it was against Stirling.

I'm looking forward to going to the games more at the minute, I'm sure the guys I go with every week are as well, but those that have gradually drifted away over the past couple of years aren't flooding back.

The fact teams (even Morton these days) simply don't bring decent away supports to us really doesn't help either.

Do we really want Radio Clyde listeners to come to Firhill?

If they're the sort of one track morons who phone in to Radio Clyde (not so) Super Scoreboard they'll all be Rangers or Celtic fans too obsessed with Neil Lennon, match officials, or HMRC to consider anything else but their own diseased club.

Edited by beep0608