Attendances

Lenziejag2

We were told tonight's match at Gayfield would be a guaranteed 6000 sell-out. In fact the attendance was 4127 - pretty much in line with last night's two Cup replays. There are still a lot of punters missing!

The radio Scotland broadcast stated that they returned part of their allocation and only 1800/2000 Celtic fans were expected at the game. Arbroath were miffed as the return was too late for the club to put them on general sale.

We were told tonight's match at Gayfield would be a guaranteed 6000 sell-out. In fact the attendance was 4127 - pretty much in line with last night's two Cup replays. There are still a lot of punters missing!

Considering that it was a freezing night in the north east, that's pretty good.

I think the Udinese chap should get some special recognition! On the other hand, we are constantly being told that the supporters of the Green Team are "the best supporters in the world"! The Gayfield evidence comprehensively disproves this claim! The best supporters in the world gather in Maryhill!

The Udinese chap was in Genoa on business - so its not as if he made the 4 hour journey specially for the football. It was more 'as luck would have it' his team was playing there when he was there on business. Otherwise, bet he wouldn't have done the 8 hour round trip for the game..

He did get recognition ..... free warm drinks during the game; a meal and drinks after the game (from opposition supporters); and since his team won, they dedicated the win to him. Oh, and he has been invited as a guest to his clubs next home game.

The fact that not one Udinese supporter could be bothered to take a 4 hour drive to see their team play away, is the more damning and newsworthy aspect of this 'story'.

Even on a cold Monday night 4 hours away it seems incredible that only one person showed up. Perhaps there isn't the same culture of travelling to away games in Italy as there is in the UK?

This are the most recent articles I could find on declining football attendances in Italy, it doesn't mention travelling supports.....

http://footballspeak...f-problems.aspx

And another one from a few years ago....

http://www.guardian....nfootball.sport

Edited by scottymagoo

The Udinese chap was in Genoa on business - so its not as if he made the 4 hour journey specially for the football. It was more 'as luck would have it' his team was playing there when he was there on business. Otherwise, bet he wouldn't have done the 8 hour round trip for the game..

He did get recognition ..... free warm drinks during the game; a meal and drinks after the game (from opposition supporters); and since his team won, they dedicated the win to him. Oh, and he has been invited as a guest to his clubs next home game.

The fact that not one Udinese supporter could be bothered to take a 4 hour drive to see their team play away, is the more damning and newsworthy aspect of this 'story'.

You'll Never Walk Alone...unless you support Udinese!

Roughly one thousand PTFC regulars failed to turn up for today's game. They missed an absolute cracker of a game, with the Jags just squeaking it at the end! Against our average home league attendance of 3126, today's crowd was just 2221. Elsewhere in SFL1 the figures were: Dunfie v Accies - 2864; Morton v Airdrie - 1302; Falkirk v Cowden - 2647. Looks as though the Christmas shopping factor was playing a part!

5 season ticket seats in our row alone empty.

I'm not sure it's as much to do with Xmas shopping as it is to do with Xmas nights outs perhaps!

Well, there was a massive piss-up at the union which will have floored a few people, so parties and shopping are the most likely reasons.

Also, if money is tight around this time of year, any rational person would choose the Morton match over this one.

I'm not sure it's as much to do with Xmas shopping as it is to do with Xmas nights outs perhaps!

Aye, and the family section next to the away fans was almost empty. My mate turned up ten minutes in as he was at a nativity his oldest boy was in. Guess Christmas parties for young and old took their toll. Christmas shopping to a degree and indirectly because folk will have spent most of their disposable income buying presents.

I expect twice as many against Morton ;)

A bit off topic but does anyone think the club has maybe missed a trick not selling morton tickets at yesterdays game? With both teams going well id expect there to be between 4-5000 at the game. I can see there being huge queues at the ticket booth and lots of people missing kick off. People could have bought tickets as an xmas gift and also, should the game be postponed for any reason , there would be a " decent " crowd guarenteed at the rearranged date as people who maybe pick and choose their games.would defo go if they already had bought their ticket.

Just a thought....

A bit off topic but does anyone think the club has maybe missed a trick not selling morton tickets at yesterdays game? With both teams going well id expect there to be between 4-5000 at the game. I can see there being huge queues at the ticket booth and lots of people missing kick off. People could have bought tickets as an xmas gift and also, should the game be postponed for any reason , there would be a " decent " crowd guarenteed at the rearranged date as people who maybe pick and choose their games.would defo go if they already had bought their ticket.

Just a thought....

Good idea.

I think crowds were all down in the top two divisions. Dunfermline and Falkirk despite having bigger crowds than ourselves both had their lowest gates of the season.

We should make up for it with a 4,000+ crowd on Boxing day :)

Jingle bells, jingle bells,

Thistle all the way!

Oh what fun,

to beat the Ton,

on Boxing day :D

That's probably true. I know it was a bit of struggle for me to get along yesterday! :blush:

Just a thought....

That's a very good point. We will just have to hope that the weather holds out on Boxing Day, and that the club have a sufficient number of staff in place to deal with the demand.

On the subject of the Boxing Day game, if there is a big crowd then hopefully the main stand will be open for the away support, as this will help to generate a better atmosphere. I think moving the singing section to the north stand has been a success, but the downside is that many people sat in the JHS are unable to actually see the travelling support.