Graeme Smith

proudjag

Would just like to thank the big fella for his efforts in his short time at Firhill. He wasn't everyone's cup of tea but done a job nonetheless and came in to fill what turned out to be boots that were just too big for him to fill.

I'm sure he will get fixed up somewhere, not sure what level though.

Don't want to criticise Buzz as he did help us out of a very deep hole, but the injury to Fox could turn out to be costly. 8 league goals conceded in the 6 games he was out (versus 8 in the 11 previous where where Fox started) could be crucial. On the positive, the 2 postponed games couldn't have come at a better time as (hopefully) Fox will be available for them.

All the best Graeme, I hope everything works out for you going forward!

He certainly has plenty of character - having not played for months and then having a horror debut could have utterly destroyed anybody's confidence. Instead, he came back and was a relatively solid keeper for us - I wonder how important that save at Airdrie last week just after they had scored could mean to us at the end of the season!

I was at Hamilton and really thought we had made a mistake in signing him. I am pleased to say that I was wrong. My confidence in him grew each game, and I would suggest that the increased number of goals conceded while he was in goals was more to do with various enforced changes to the side (particuarly Muirhead to right back). He did make errors, but also made a number of excellent saves, while also largely dealing with crosses and set-pieces effectively (and don't forget that Fox is also prone to the odd lapse).

Yes, Fox is still the better keeper (possibly the best in the division), but Smith proved himself to be perfectly good cover. I for one wish him all the best.

I was wondering why Smith was preferred to Fox on Saturday. Smith was leaving and if Fox was fit, he should have played.

I wondered about that myself. He did fine on Saturday, but I was reminded of the guy working in the Blackpool Rock factory who when he was told he was getting the boot left them with a mile and a half of rock with 'F*ck you' written through it....

• 1 month later...

could you field an ex-jags xi out of the current Ayr and Stenny squads?

Graeme Smith

John Robertson

Marc Twaddle

Eric Paton

Kevin McKinlay

David Rowson

Bryan Hodge

Marc Corcoran

Ryan McStay

John Gemmell

Liam Buchanan

Subs: Bomber Ferguson, The Hoor (is he still playing?), Chris Smith (was in our youth team)

Edited by Armand2