Mcnamara

GrantB

Source: Daily Star. I'll take it with a pinch of salt, no offence.

If Dundee United were to come in for Paton I'm not so certain he'd go. I think being Captain of Thistle is a MASSIVE thing for him and may be the key to keeping him here, regardless of whether we win promotion.

If other teams offer double the wages our players will be off. It still annoys me that BMMMH is playing for Morton, but double the wages (I'm guessing) is a deal closer for anybody.

If we get promoted, there's probably no good reason why we couldn't double all of our staff's wages. That's how big the difference in income is between the divisions.

• Like 1

If we get promoted, there's probably no good reason why we couldn't double all of our staff's wages. That's how big the difference in income is between the divisions.

Of course we could only offer them double wages for a season, as we would have to budget for immediate relegation ... established teams can offer two, three year deals.

Of course we could only offer them double wages for a season, as we would have to budget for immediate relegation ... established teams can offer two, three year deals.

Correct, though that's a big mistake than several teams make (e.g., Dundee, Falkirk, Dunfermline); when they get relegated they are still saddled with big contracts that they need to honour.

Guest fredthecheesecloth

Paul Paton has an impressive attitude and work ethic. He is about 10 times the player he was years back when he was being linked to premier clubs.

If we go up, I would hope he would stay.

If we don't, then no problem him leaving.

• Like 1

Source: Daily Star. I'll take it with a pinch of salt, no offence.

If Dundee United were to come in for Paton I'm not so certain he'd go. I think being Captain of Thistle is a MASSIVE thing for him and may be the key to keeping him here, regardless of whether we win promotion.

As Paton said at last season's PotY dance, he has a daughter to provide for. He loves playing for Thistle, but she's his number one priority. In saying that, he did go on to turn down Dundee in favour of us, but if he had the chance to hook up with a manager who got the best from him and increase his wage then I reckon he'll be for the off.

As I said in another thread, the only thing worrying me about us giving Archie the job as manager is that he's unproven in being able to bring in new players. Will he have the experience or contacts to replace any players who leave?

Are you forgetting MacNamara was a rookie when he brought in Sinclair, Muirhead, etc? Do we think Jackie is better connected simply because he played for Celtic for a large part of his career? The club, rather than any one individual, appears to have a decent network. I have no concerns where new players are concerned.

• Like 1

As Paton said at last season's PotY dance, he has a daughter to provide for. He loves playing for Thistle, but she's his number one priority. In saying that, he did go on to turn down Dundee in favour of us, but if he had the chance to hook up with a manager who got the best from him and increase his wage then I reckon he'll be for the off.

Are you forgetting MacNamara was a rookie when he brought in Sinclair, Muirhead, etc? Do we think Jackie is better connected simply because he played for Celtic for a large part of his career? The club, rather than any one individual, appears to have a decent network. I have no concerns where new players are concerned.

I had the same concerns when we appointed MacNamara. Hopefully Archie will prove me wrong again. :happy2:

Is it, by how much? just thinking of extra cost such as policing and stuff and didn't think there was that much difference unless we finish in top 6

Edited by jaggybunnet

Is it, by how much? just thinking of extra cost such as policing and stuff and didn't think there was that much difference unless we finish in top 6

Somebody with the time and investigative skills will be able to find just how lucrative the SPL can be compared to the pittance than SFL clubs get as income. Don't forget that the SPL still hands out £500,000 to the team that gets relegated.... that would be like a godsend to us! If that's what they give to the losers, it stands to reason that the others must do quite nicely. (Of course how they choose to fritter it away on stupid money contracts to journeymen players etc. is their problem.) It's also part of the reason I suspect that once their teams get into the "promised land", chairmen suddenly start pronouncing that a small, virtually exclusive top league is "best for the game". What they really mean is that they've finally got their hands on loadsa money and want to hang onto it.

A key point is whether we have made offers to our players whose contract expire in May. It should be possible to offer contracts with higher wages and bonuses if we are in the SPL.

The managerial uncertainty does not help. The board needs to make a permanent appointment quickly, preferably before the end of the month.

Since more and more sources are starting to report this, I guess I'll have to accept it's happening.

Still think Paton will stay. Being the captain of a double winning side, and keeping them up will prove a lure too great for him to leave.

Would think the fact that he will, at the very least, be doubling his wages and going to a manager that he knows very well, swing the balance. Who in their right mind would knock back a 100% wage increase for doing the same job?? I like PP but would be more upset if Muirhead, Erskine and O'Donnell left. Think most of our players are going to be major targets for a lot of clubs next season, whether we go up or not. Sadly a part of life being a jags fan. Last thing we want is turning into the next Dunfermline

Edited by Lindau

Paton referred to Jackie as like a 'second dad' and said he'd transformed his whole life in an interview just after he left. I'm pretty sure he'll be off.

I don't begrudge players leaving at the end of the season for more money. I'm sure some could have left in January but they didn't.

Paton stuck around this year when he could have left for more money. He's having to work a second job as well.

Be annoying if they all go to Dundee United but what can you do. Hopefully SOD, Paton and Erskine are about the only ones that leave.

The managerial uncertainty does not help. The board needs to make a permanent appointment quickly, preferably before the end of the month.

The Board might be approaching this from a "what league will we be in" viewpoint. The Board might well want to appoint a manager quickly but are reluctant to because of this uncertainty over status. I can think of quite a few reasons for this reluctance and most not solely to do with Archie's performance to date.

I don't believe everything Beattie & Co have done to date has been ideal. Far from it, but I think in this instance I'm inclined to trust their judgment.