Just In V Cowdenbeath (30.03.13)

Camallain

What a result! Today could prove to be pivital in the race for the title. Thistle were by far the better team today but were up against not only Cowdenbeath but a referee hell bent on giving them every decision. Without doubt the most biased refereeing display I have witnessed in many a day. But to the positives, Craigen was again excellent, the defence were solid with the exception of the goal we lost which was really poor. Doolan yet again the hero with both goals, excellent low finnish for the first and a close range header for the second. A fantastic Thistle support today that cheered the team on throughout the game.........all 96 minutes of it! Cowden hit the post with a free kick (which they should'nt have been given) deep into injury time but had that gone in it would have been a huge injustice.

Given the Morton result the midweek fixture with Raith now becomes massive. Three point in that one and we are on the verge of glory

What a result! Today could prove to be pivital in the race for the title. Thistle were by far the better team today but were up against not only Cowdenbeath but a referee hell bent on giving them every decision. Without doubt the most biased refereeing display I have witnessed in many a day. But to the positives, Craigen was again excellent, the defence were solid with the exception of the goal we lost which was really poor. Doolan yet again the hero with both goals, excellent low finnish for the first and a close range header for the second. A fantastic Thistle support today that cheered the team on throughout the game.........all 96 minutes of it! Cowden hit the post with a free kick (which they should'nt have been given) deep into injury time but had that gone in it would have been a huge injustice.

Given the Morton result the midweek fixture with Raith now becomes massive. Three point in that one and we are on the verge of glory

Given it says your location is Thornliebank, how can you be "Just In" already? Do you have a helicopter? :P

Sounds like the ref might be from down Greenock way.

He was absolutely shocking as were the linesmen. He turned down two penalty appeals in the first half and was extremely lenient to Cowden players who were puting in some fierce challanges. Just seemed like every decision went the home sides way however that makes winning the game all the sweeter, doesn't it :happy2:

• Like 1

Given it says your location is Thornliebank, how can you be "Just In" already? Do you have a helicopter? :P

Ha ha! I wondered who would be first to question that. I'm actually at my mothers who stays in Kinross which is about 10 miles down the road from Cowdenbeath :thumbsup2:

To be honest this midweek in my opinion will not make one ounce of difference.

The league is ours even before we play them on the 10th. Today was and proved to be a 6 pointer and we were not even playing them !

This team will go on and win the league in style. This includes a pumping of the ton for good measure.

FTOF !

He was absolutely shocking as were the linesmen. He turned down two penalty appeals in the first half and was extremely lenient to Cowden players who were puting in some fierce challanges. Just seemed like every decision went the home sides way however that makes winning the game all the sweeter, doesn't it :happy2:

Some challenges worthy of a yellow they got away with for sure. He did give us a few strange decisions for throw ins towards the end but feck knows what the late free kick was for. Special mention for Craigen for the work he done to get the perfect cross in for Doolan, absolutely superb.

The cheer that went up when they hit the post was almost as loud as the goals, what a relief and would have been daylight robbery. Thought they were still going to score when it came back in but I *think* that was a Fox save but didn't have the best of views.

Winning on Tuesday and going 7 clear would be massive as it'd mean we would stay top even if we lose against Morton. Having said that, I don't think we will (edit: lose to Morton, just to be clear!). Morton need to win, we don't, and as well as being good when taking the game to a team, we're also an excellent counter attacking side. I'm very optimistic now, I see today as the defining day in this title race.

Edited by ThickAsThieves

Brilliant result by, without doubt, the best footballing side in the league. We have dealt with huge pressure for weeks in the game of catch up. Great credit to a rookie manager and his young squad. Interesting to see how long Morton dealt with the pressure. Bottled it in the first game. White flags flying in Greenock?

I expect a real kicking, literally, from their 'seasoned pro's' on April 10.

Great battling performance against a team that tried to kick us off the park. Ref was a shocker & no idea where he got all the injury time from. He must have added 6 or 7 minutes for no apparent reason. Hope we can keep this up for the next 3 games, but Tuesday will be another tough game

Great result. A performance with true dig and determination against a side not shy to give a few meaty challenges.

Still no idea why they got a free kick at the end but what a save from Foxy. These are the things that win titles. Would have been the biggest robbery since Ronnie Biggs if they had snatched a point.

Ref was poor, seemed to not want to book anyone. Cowden could easily have found themselves down to 10 men.

Special mention must go to James Craigen who was excellent again today. He's been like a new signing.

A Morton supporters bus pulled up alongside my Dad's car on the way home and he got the thistle scarf and flag out, all the folk on the bus were raging including the driver who rolled his window down to give my Da the fingers! magic man.... I wonder where our mates are tonight!

• Like 3

Really, really impressive win today spoke volumes for the togetherness and professionalism of this side. Cowdenbeath were frankly excretable and a draw would have been a complete injustice, I'm sure their equaliser was their first on attack of note. Having said that it was a poor goal to lose, particularly as it seemed to come out of the blue.The goal apart our defence looked extremely assured and comfortable throughout. Overall it was the sort of performance that wins titles,we're now well in sight of the finishing line and I'm absolutely confident that we'll do it.

Great result!!! It's very difficult to win twice in 4 days at the same away ground.

Morton, despite today's result, will not lie down and simply give us the title. Every game is, in effect, a cup final until we can't be caught.

Happy Easter everyone!

Started in the stand and ended up behind the goal as we had a bad view.....so didny quite get a perspective of some of the tackles etc. Doolan....was fantastic as were the whole team.

I agree Craigen...gains in confidence every game and it's like a new signing. Erskine booked....was the only low....how many is he on now I wonder.

Near shat when the free kick hit the bar and Foxy had to block. Wtf was the ref on wi the added minutes?

Can't remember the last time we had such a great squad and so many good strikers. If I see Lambie doon the steeet the night I'll buy him a pint!!

How many did we bring today....anyone any idea? Over 1000?

A Morton supporters bus pulled up alongside my Dad's car on the way home and he got the thistle scarf and flag out, all the folk on the bus were raging including the driver who rolled his window down to give my Da the fingers! magic man.... I wonder where our mates are tonight!

Stop Press... there's a Morton supporters bus?? Well f*** me! This post has just made my night...

P.S. How did we only win that one today by just one goal? At times in the first half we looked to be playing on speed - slightly nervous and lacking in composure, too rushed, too hurried. But once we settled... Hats off to this young squad. Brilliant brilliant result.

P.P.S. Where are the Greenock wind-up merchants tonight?

Ref played 4 minutes of injury time (2nd half kicked off at 4 minutes past on my watch), which given 5 subs, couple of injuries, and the amount of time taken to retrieve the ball there due to the track was probably about right- one of the few things he did get right! Felt like a lifetime though, especially when that nonsense of a free kick was on its way goalwards.

Great stuff today, Craigen the pick for me. Doolan has picked up form just as Craig has dipped, you could say the same about Craigen and Forbes. If we hadn't lost that sloppy goal and gone in 1-0 up at HT I'm sure we'd have skated it about 3 or 4-0 in the second half. The main thing is we won. If we avoid defeat to Raith and beat Morton we're almost there- in fact 4 wins from the next 4 and it's ours mathematically.

Same thing with us. The level of seethe when they discovered we were Jags was glorious. Was like the good old days.

Well if you guys think it was a bit nerve wracking watching the game, imagine what it was like for me only getting it on the text updates, it was heart stopping especially the last few minutes - c'mon the jags

It would have been much worse if Morton had been winning at Starks Park.

2-1 totally flattered Cowdenbeath. In the first half they couldn't get a touch of the ball, I think everyone was stunned when they equalised from their first attack. In hindsight I think the players and management will be disappointed to lose such a soft goal when we were so dominant.

That said, it would have been easy for the players to crumble in the second half given the pressure they are under. But they were excellent. Craigen's work for the second goal was just outstanding - and both Doolan's goals were typical of him.

Cowdenbeath were always going to come at us towards the end, and had we lost a goal to that free kick it would have been terribly harsh on the players. I don't think it was a free kick at all.

Getting 6 points from there is a massive achievement. Another 3 points at Kirkcaldy is a huge ask, but we are capable of that.

However - offer me a point right now and I would take it. Let's not forget that our superior goal difference is worth another point in itself.