Squad Building For Next Season

Dark Passenger

I think we could already have a replacement for Paton. Hugh Murray is perhaps the only player we have with much experience of the SPL, and overlooking his moments of insanity at Greenock this season, any time he has been called on I reckon he's been solid. I predict he'll have an important role to play for us next season.

Slow as a week in jail.

Scougall would be a great addition and would suit our style of play but as one of the last things John Collins did at Livi was to tie him into a four year contract, our chances of signing him are slim to hee haw.

Looking further afield, Croatia will become a member of the EU on 1 July this year meaning all of their players will be eligible to play in any European member state. The club should seriously look at tapping into this rich seam of talent if it's not already too late.

Daniel Carmichael is a very good player. I found it surprising he re-signed there last year after the relegation and with the way things have went and are looking for Queens as well as being from Dumfries I'd imagine he'll stay there. Shame Ziggy Gordon is under contract too. I quite like Archie Campbell but he has been off the boil big time after coming back from injury. May is definitely worth a look although I suspect he'll remain at St. Johnstone. Hes done very well as a lone striker in a piss poor team.

I agree with DP that there is pretty much nobody in this league I'd be chomping at the bit to sign that will be out of contract, but I don't think we can afford to be too loyal as well. County pushed on after replacing a lot of deadwood with the likes of Ikonomou, Wohlfarth and Sproule and Dunfermline were found out keeping a load of their 1st standard journeymen around. Theres a few players currently under contract I have doubts about their ability, but at least they have age on their side.

I think we need a couple of dirty ***** in the middle, Kettlewell for instance? The current midfield that has started the last few games would get steamrollered on a weekly basis.

Any Scottish players down South looking for a move back up the road ala Stevie Thompson of St Mirren? We got Derek Whyte last time as he wanted to be in Scotland. While Paton and Erskine are a loss it gives us an opportunity to bring in playes of higher quality to replace them so I am not too downbeat. If we keep the rest of the starting XI I would be more than happy. Having the same back 5 would be fantastic with extra cover such as McMillan and also full back areas. Then we get the replacements and maybe push for a new real 20 goals a season striker along with Dools and Craig.

I think we could already have a replacement for Paton. Hugh Murray is perhaps the only player we have with much experience of the SPL, and overlooking his moments of insanity at Greenock this season, any time he has been called on I reckon he's been solid. I predict he'll have an important role to play for us next season.

Danny Lennon released Hugh Murray go so I doubt if he's got the legs for the SPL any more.

WE should concentrate on getting the out of contract players we want to keep hopefully signed up by the end of the season and then look to get new contracts for the likes of Murhead, Balatoni, Sinclair and Bannigan who could be mainstays in our team for years or sold for a good return.

Then we should be looking to sign players for next year. As to who we can afford I honestly dont know. We havent been afraid to throw a small transfer fee to get the players we want (Sinclair and Muirhead for starters) and have been able to get players thrown on the scrapheap by other teams like Lawless and Forbes who have performed well for us. If Morton are going part time then either of Bachirou or Tidser will be available although likely outwith our price range. The likes of Graham at Raith would do a job but not sure how he would fit into our style of play.

Gonna be an interesting close season no matter what happens

I'm not convinced Graham would cut it in the SPL. I doubt Craig, Elliot or McGuigan will either so we'll be needing to strengthen our forward line as a priority.

Stevie May could be a good shout.

McGuigan is under contract for next season. He hasn't had many opportunities to prove himself even from the bench. There is also the possibility that Doolan will move on when his contract finishes in May.

Stevie May was mentioned and I think that he could make the step up. Has he not played a few SPL games for St. J ?

A few of the Queen's players impressed. The wee No 7 (Carmichael ?) looks as if he would be a handful for anyone and Robinson would be a decent backup for Fox. I didn't like his antics, but he made some decent saves and it showed that he has confidence.

Is Stephen McManus not a Thistle fan? Just over 30 was at Boro but not heard him mentioned in recent dispatches.

We now have a pretty young squad, although they have had another year together.

I agree the club have to sign up the players they want to keep then see what the budget is for improving the squad.

I don't think we will be short of news on comings and goings during the summer break!

I don't get the fascination with Steve May. He really hasn't done much against us.

Anyway he is under contract at St Johnstone and it looks like he will be in their first team next season.

Second top scorer in our division only 2 goals behind Taylor and 5 ahead of Graham. Only 20 years old and scored more goals than any of our own (or Morton's) players playing in a weaker team. Always seems a handful when I've seen him play us. Contract ends June 2013.

Of course the fact he's been on loan before and is only 20 suggests they might be 'bringing him on' and will offer him a new contract but we don't know what the situation is there at the moment. So it's worth speculating on an good young player who scores goals (might need to pay compo though, part to Hamilton, part to St Johnstone, part to another club he was on loan to). I don't think it would be as much as the full 80 K or whatever the top money is, maybe half or less but even that might be beyond us I suppose.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I don't get the fascination with Steve May. He really hasn't done much against us.

Anyway he is under contract at St Johnstone and it looks like he will be in their first team next season.

Exactly and it's very unlikely that Saints would lend him to another SPL club.

Next!

Is Stephen McManus not a Thistle fan? Just over 30 was at Boro but not heard him mentioned in recent dispatches.

We now have a pretty young squad, although they have had another year together.

I agree the club have to sign up the players they want to keep then see what the budget is for improving the squad.

I don't think we will be short of news on comings and goings during the summer break!

Heard a whisper regarding this today reckon he may come to us on a short term deal :thumbsup2: