Zero To Less Than Zero. Crap Signings Who Turned Out Even Worse Than Expected

thebiglemon

Again, I wouldn't say any of us were disappointed when we signed Lovell - quite the opposite in fact - but his performances left a lot to be desired.

That's what I was thinking. I seem to recall most of us thought Lovell was a good signing and I certainly don't remember anyone questioning the wisdom of bringing in Stuart Taylor.

I can only come up with Jim Hamilton but there's probably more..

That's what I was thinking. I seem to recall most of us thought Lovell was a good signing and I certainly don't remember anyone questioning the wisdom of bringing in Stuart Taylor.

I can only come up with Jim Hamilton but there's probably more..

Stuart Taylor seemed like an excellent replacement for Hardie. I thought it was a great signing at the time but it all went wrong very quickly. I remember having a 'debate' with someone at a league cup tie in Peterhead with a guy who suggested that Taylor was carrying David Rowson in the Jags midfield who wasn't impressed when I pointed out that it was the other way round.

Jim Hamilton was one signing that horrified me based on what St Mirren fans had told me. I remember taking a pounding on the forum for suggesting as much.

Edited to reflect Willjag's good point.

Dick Campbell, as a managerial "signing", would top my list. IIRC John Lambie was less than enthusiastic too.

I also had low expectations when Jim Hamilton signed and they were too optimistic.

Edited by kni

• Members

I'm sure folk aren't really reading the heading of this topic properly. There have been very few players we've signed over the last 40 odd years I've been watching Thistle that I've had no expectations for whatsoever. I always hope the player will go on and be a legend. Unfortunately that rarely happens and a large number leave the Club as less than zero's.

I think most of these posts would have been better off in the 'Hero to Zero' thread if truth be told.

• Like 1

• Members

The ex-Scotland keeper? I'm sure i remember him playing in a Scottish Cup tie at Boghead. We might have lost, it was midweek & I'm sure Ian Wallace scored for Dumbarton

My Brother was saying to me just before the last game of the Season down at Dumbarton, that he reckoned that was the last time he'd seen Thistle play Dumbarton at their ground. Remember being totally gutted that night.

Paul McIntyre. Swap deal for Brannigan. Just as bad.

Best Paul McIntyre story EVER: got sent off against (I think) Airdrie, and he was in Bar Bola before we were after leaving at full time. Ladbrokes had been handing out red and yellow cards as promotional material, and we got him to autograph one of the red ones. Still shit though, although the foregoing may explain it.

• Members

Martin Grehan £25,000 from Stirling Albion was absolute garbage.

Wasn't a zero signing for me. After his performance against us in the Scottish Cup a season or two before, I was quite pleased with the signing. He was never a goalscorer, but he worked hard against Thistle that day and was the standout in the Stirling Albion team. Had high hopes for him.