John Baird (Ex Dundee, R Rovers Etc.) Signs

CCjag

According to The Scotsman this morning.

'Irritating' when in opposition @ Raith Rovers. Almost ever-present last season but made little scoring impact (34 League and Cup appearances - 5 goals?) in Dundee's blighted SPL campaign.

PFA Player of the Year in 2011.

Could be a good foil for Doolan.

http://www.scotsman....-spl2-1-2944920

"One liner" at the end of the article!

Edited by CCjag

Guest fredthecheesecloth

A good signing. Would much rather have him playing for us than against us. Maybe people will stop whining about that handball now.

• Like 1

If we can keep our creative juices flowing I am confident he can get his fair share of goals. As suggested has proved to be a handfull to play against in time. I trust Archie as he was given the run around by him on occassion.

Wouldn't mind signing Conroy from Dens either ;)

Pleased with this signing if true. We don't play the archetypal one up front because we get so many men up in support, so I'm not too worried about him being put in there. Be interesting to see if he could work as one of the two wingers.

I think by all accounts he was good for Dundee - especially second half of the season - so good to have a bit of SPL experience. Third Lanark will be so buzzing about this. Only need Damon Gray and Pat Clarke now to complete the dream team.

He's not the most exciting signing, but I'm fairly glad to have him on board. The good thing about his season there is that he improved as it went on, which is much better than starting great then getting found out. Dundee were rank for most of the campaign so it might be unfair to judge him individually on that - when the whole team weren't performing, too. Hopefully he can keep up his improvement at SPL level with us.

Doubt we'll see anything officially on this until Mon/Tues, but hopefully the club announce Gallacher's signing at the same time.

Would be easy to be underwhelmed with this deal, his goal return last season was abysmal, On the other hand Baird wouldn't have played as many games, even in a poor SPL side, if he didn't offer something else. I know he's a hard working player and it's important he ticks that box. Last thing we can afford to sign is an Andy Thomson or Bonnes type of player who expect others to do the hard graft.

Should be a very useful guy to have in the squad.

He will fit into our system well and is able to play the role behind the striker and the lone striker. He has great close control and is not afraid to get stuck when needed. As people have mentioned he has apparently been excellent for Dundee after Brown arrived.

We will still need to bring in another striker, need somebody to give us a different option to Doolan and Baird.

Now, GGH please...

This. I'd be over the moon to see the return of the prodigal son.

I'm a bit unsure about Baird. He's certainly a capable striker at 1st Div level, not sure about SPL although he seems to have benefited from being played by Brown in his correct position. The role that he would play in the team is what concerns me assuming we will still play 4-3-3. Baird was played wide by Barry Smith and was ineffective until he was moved to being the main striker by Brown. I quite like him as a player but don't see him as being as good as Doolan.

Time will tell though...

With McGuigan unlikely to figure much and more likely to go out on loan that leaves us with Baird, Lawless, Doolan and probably Elliot as our strike force. Hope Archie can get another one in as I think we will struggle to get goals as they all have no, or little, SPHell experience and that looks a very lightweight strike force to my eyes especially with two of the guys at 5ft 7in!

http://en.wikipedia....28footballer%29

Edited by Lindau

Thing maybe people are jumping the gun, all there has been is one line in a newspaper. Think a lot of the press come up with these things from this football rumours page.

Of course maybe John's agent wants him to play with Dundee United so whats the best way of doing that - getting him to sign for us :D

Decent signing if true.

Pleased with this signing if true. We don't play the archetypal one up front because we get so many men up in support, so I'm not too worried about him being put in there. Be interesting to see if he could work as one of the two wingers.

I think by all accounts he was good for Dundee - especially second half of the season - so good to have a bit of SPL experience. Third Lanark will be so buzzing about this. Only need Damon Gray and Pat Clarke now to complete the dream team.

As in the team that played from 1872 till 1967? :shakeshout:

Benny I thought you were a journalist - and used to doing your research. I thought a few of these players may be decent players at the time and ever since I have been tarred with the brush since then.

From the forums these guys were heroes to the following:

Pat Clarke - Kni suggested we sign him and Paddy McCourt

John Baird - Alan Murray, Yoda Jag

Liam Buchanan - yoda Jag

Damon Gray - Yoda Jag, Santana and Third Lanark

Douggie Imrie - Dark Passenger

:shakeshout: