Singing Section V Celtic

Partick75

Me, my Dad & my mates all enjoyed the North Stand last season. We're not big singers, but the atmosphere was electric.

I get the financial reasoning, I also kind of get the safety reasoning, but it's not right. The North Stand has been the best thing to happen at Firhill since, christ, I can't remember when. I've been going to Firhill since I was 4 (1983 ish) & it's been amazing.

PLEASE don't take it away from us! It's OURS!

Imagine that we had broken seats at Celtic Park before throwing them on the pitch. Then imagine that the next time we go to Celtic Park, the green brigade are moved from their dedicated section to accommodate Thistle fans. Do you think the green brigade would accept that? Of course they wouldn't, and neither should we.

• Like 6

So the police don't want Celtic fans illegally setting off flares in a wooden stand so we re-arrange our stadium to accomodate them? Can you imagine if that shitty corner of Celtic Park with the restricted view was more flammable than the rest and they moved us to where the Green Brigade stand at our next fixture.

The club can ******* do one over this and are about to get an email sent to them.

I was talking about this last night and concluded by saying "there is no way the club are going to be so stupid to actually go through with this". Get in touch with them, the folk in charge seem to be fairly clued in these days compared to the past, they aren't going to alienate 1,000 home supporters for an entire season for one poxy game are they?.

Brentford have a pre-season friendly with Celtic where they were giving Celtic the 3 stands which were usually the home end much to the displeasure of the Brentford fans. After a campaign of writing to the club by supporters Brentford are now selling tickets to Brentford fans for a limited time and if they sell them then they get to keep one of their traditional home ends as Brentford fans only.

Now the situation isn't exactly the same as I imagine Brentford were doing it purely for money rather than acting upon police advice however it shows that if enough people are annoyed about something then some clubs do actually listen. I'd be disappointed if the club ignored so many people.

I'm honestly stunned by this announcement

All through last season the talk of everybody at the club was how successful the North Stand had been, and on my own experience, everything they said was true. The atmosphere was always good, sometimes incredible, and its clear it was affecting the players. I would say it has been the greatest thing Thistle have done for the fans in my time following the Jags. Although only a year old, the sense of belonging and homeliness that Thistle fans have felt towards the stand is amazing. I for one can't see me moving back to JH and the walk up to Firhill now only feels right going to the Northy.

Firhill was becoming a very stale place to go on a Saturday and I had given up my season ticket a few years ago and was picking and choosing games. Last year I attended every home game, bar one, and got a season ticket for this year in the North Stand. Had I known about this decision I don't know if I would have gotten one.

I don't know pt, Ian-mac, lance or jim personally but the work they have done has been much appreciate. I fully stand beside them on this issue and will be sending an email to Firhill ASAP expressing my anger at this.

• Like 2

Email the club. The powers that be seem a lot better these days, I am pretty confident we can change their mind.

Good morning,

I was one of a very small number of people who were still percevering with trying to get the singing going in the JHS over the past few years, there were less than 20 of us who still made a go of it, it was a lost cause. Towards the end of the season before last word went round through Ian and Dave that there was talk of getting us moved to the North Stand. We discussed this whilst sitting in the sun at the front of the JHS watching a dead rubber, there were a handful who had bothered turning up at all, you could hear a pin drop. That was what going to Thistle games had become, it was boring, home games had become a chore.

Last season I spent every game in the North Stand, this was brilliant from day one when there was a hundred odd in there, it grew week on week, it was fun supporting Thistle again. I looked forward to home games, I hadn't looked forward to home games for years. The team were brilliant last season, combine this with the North Stand and you have been complicit in bringing hundreds of lapsed fans back to Firhill and creating what was the most vocal and enjoyable stand in the Scottish Football League. You now have a stand that sings from beginning to end, a stand that has a real buzz about it and a stand where countless new friends have been made. There is a real sense of belonging at Thistle right now.

Last season was my favourite supporting Thistle ever. Sure the team were a huge part of that but do not underestimate the impact of the North Stand. To be blunt, it wouldn't have been anywhere near as fun. The North Stand will grow and grow and will be a real asset to our club in the SPL. It simply doesn't exist at clubs of similiar stature.

If you move us from there for Celtic you ruin all that good work. You will alienate every single person who wants to be there, conservatively that is likely to be 1,000 regular supporters next season. For the sake of 1 game (maybe 2) you are going to really really annoy and disenfranchise 25% of your core customer base.

If Celtic cannot be trusted in the Main Stand that is their problem. Do what you like with them, put them in a section of the JHS, put them in the Main Stand or simply don't let them come at all. When Sky/BT ask why politley give them the truth. They smashed up our ground at the U-17 game and the police don't think they can be trusted not to break the law in the wooden stand. I would also add if they are charing £29 to go to Celtic Park, an absolutely ridiculous price, we charge them the same at Firhill.

You have created something that will hopefully last forever and continue to bring more and more lost fans out of the woodwork, do not underestimate the importance of the North Stand. If the away end of Celtic Park happened to be more flammable than the rest and we happened to have a bunch of cretins who set off banned flares at games would Celtic move the 'Green Brigade' to accomodate us? Would Liverpool give up the Kop, Man Utd the Strettford End? Not a cat in hells chance. It might only be Thistle, it might only be at Firhill and it might only be a thousand fans but to those of us who stand in there it is that significant.

Please don't give in to this. You have done so well to re-engage with the fans, get old fans who drifted back to Firhill and get in a whole host of new fans (I know this first hand, I know who came every week last season instead of every second game, I know who made 5 or 6 games instead of the usual 1 or 2, I know who hasn't been for years becuase it was boring who were turning up week after week in the North Stand).

I will not be attending Celtic games if this happens. I am already missing the opening home match of the season. With that and potentially 2 Celtic home games a season ticket will be off my radar. And the giving up of a season ticket is the beginning of a slippery slope as I am sure you are aware.

I know the police don't want them in the Main Stand, I know the club will make a few thousand quid extra but please take the longer view. I don't think you realise the strength of feeling out there.

Regards,

• Like 9

Let's also remember that PTFC own Firhill Stadium, the police don't. We employ the police to work for us. They can make recommendations, but at the end of the day they work for us in our stadium, so it's ultimately the decision of PTFC where the home and away fans are housed.

Again, totally agree with Davie, everyone who doesn't agree with this decision should be emailing the club to let them know their feelings. They probably do read this forum but if emails are sent, then they can't ignore it.

Above seems the best approach. I would tho' be concerned about the polis being made aware they are in fact servants and not masters. It's perhaps sounding heavily cynical on my part but I've long held the view that they have great difficulty understanding that.

I do believe this nonsense is a journalistic dream. No matter the outcome there's a story here. Simple question, why is it thought preferable to move the Celtic support from the Main Stand? How do you dress up a reply to not embarrass and/or annoy Celtic supporters? Either the polis/PTFC are saying Celtic fans are more likely to start a fire than any other SPL club's fans or if they deny that then they're implying Celtic supporters unlike any other visiting fans have to be contained in one continuous area.

Above seems the best approach. I would tho' be concerned about the polis being made aware they are in fact servants and not masters. It's perhaps sounding heavily cynical on my part but I've long held the view that they have great difficulty understanding that.

I do believe this nonsense is a journalistic dream. No matter the outcome there's a story here. Simple question, why is it thought preferable to move the Celtic support from the Main Stand? How do you dress up a reply to not embarrass and/or annoy Celtic supporters? Either the polis/PTFC are saying Celtic fans are more likely to start a fire than any other SPL club's fans or if they deny that then they're implying Celtic supporters unlike any other visiting fans have to be contained in one continuous area.

I see a flaw in your plan. This will require a journalist to write a story against Celtic.

That other club should be given 1,500 tickets or so for the main stand only. Every one of them should be frisked as they go in. Extra stewards should be positioned with fire extinguishers, and at the faintest hint of any smoke the extinguishers should be used in the general area where it arises, and the entire section of that stand should be ejected from the stadium. These cretims need to learn, if that is possible.

Incidentally, will the Aitken Suite be available for pre- and post-match drinks next season? What will happen when the cretims come a-calling? No Thistle fans allowed? Nobody at all?

Edited by Jaggernaut
  • Like 1

This is a microcosm of Scottish football. Everything done to the benefit of the "big two".

The Celtic fans are out of control, cannot be controlled by the police and cannot be trusted not to burn the place down so we must re-arrange our stadium to accomodate them. Jesus wept.

Email sent.

If this decision has been taken to make a couple of extra quid, David Beattie said that his "morals were more important than 80k" when he spoke about McNamara and I'd like to see a similar stance in this situation. That's if indeed there really is much/any financial benefit to having them in the North Stand.

Whatever the reason, the club need to clarify their position pronto.