Singing Section V Celtic

Partick75

Celtic fans have already proved this year they cannot be trusted to not destroy the seats in the stands of other clubs. Should be great fun when they tear up the North Stand. But they can't go in the Main Stand as they cannot be trusted not to set it on fire. Best fans in the world.

How very disappointing this is turning out to be.

• Like 1

Fair play to PT and the OneThistle guys - you have nothing to apologise about but I understand what you must be thinking.

Really poor decision from the board here on a number of levels. First, it's our stand, our singing section - they're giving Celtic the area that a lot of us hold dear. Second, surely there should be some fan consultation on this, albeit I suspect they haven't as they know the strength of feeling that there will be.

I was in the North Stand for the first game v Falkirk last season. I've not been back in the JH since. If I can't be in the North Stand for the Celtic game then I won't be in Firhill.

Also, do the board realise that it is possibly only one home game against Celtic next season. Is it really worth pissing off your own fans for a wee bit extra money? If need be just give them 2500 seats in the Jackie Husband and if they can't be trusted to sit in a timber framed stand and not burn it down then that's their lot.

Which still requires fans in the JH Stand to move. You are correct, it is for 1 game (max 2 depending on how the fixtures come out), although I can understand some of the frustrations it is literally a one-off. I'd hope most fans understand that & support the team.

Which still requires fans in the JH Stand to move. You are correct, it is for 1 game (max 2 depending on how the fixtures come out), although I can understand some of the frustrations it is literally a one-off. I'd hope most fans understand that & support the team.

And the board? Throughout the whole of last season, the 'twelfth man' has always been talked up and emphasised how important the north stand move has been. To ignore this is infuriating. Are the board going to support the team and continue with the north stand regardless? Or are there going to be caveats in everything?

Anyway - Beattie said in his programme notes for the Dunfermline game that there would be another meet the board night 'in the coming weeks' or words to that effect. To give him his due, he's never shirked a question when asked - but what's the chance of this going ahead now? And when?

TBH attendances/sponsorship/league revenue will be up next year - if Celtic/the police won't accept the main stand for the away support I'd rather say fcuk them and say its that or nothing.

Edited by MerryHell

• Members

Piss poor and I do feel sorry for PT and Ian who were lead to believe, ensured, that the North Stand would be for Jags fans only and then went out on a limb to put that message over to the rest of the support. It's also piss poor that it's them that's having to put the official message over and not the Club via the website or Twitter Feed at the very least.

I thought we had kicked this sort of crap out with the old Board. Money corrupts right enough!

• Like 1

I haven't read through this, so apologies if I repeat anything. Was it not the intention to house away fans in the old Main Stand for the duration of next season, however the antics of the OF fans at the recent Glasgow Cup Final and the poorer safety quality of the Main Stand mean that Police require Celtic fans to be housed elsewhere?

Can't really add anything more than what Dave has said. I agree with every word and he's said it a lot better than I would.

Feel totally let down by the club, added to the fact that myself and Dave have now been left to look pretty stupid.

The way the whole thing has been handled just harks back to the bad old days of the club, which I thought were behind us - lack of dialogue with the fans, profit before customer service, and viewing us all as simply a necessary inconvenience to those who would rather just be left alone to run their wee club.

The fact that this information has been relaid via a member of staff, who quite frankly, should never even have known about this development before it was announced is astounding. I would really like to know why the announcement was handled in this way.

Maybe the club think that they have gotten what they wanted out of onethistle, and now feel that their services aren't required. Onethistle have never asked for any recognition or special praise, which is lucky because the club haven't given them any. I have always felt that there is no more than a grudging acceptance of onethistle, and that they are viewed by the club in much the same way as they view the fans, as a necessary inconvenience who they have come to rely upon for matchday operations.

This was an opportunity for the club to dispel those assumptions, and prove that we really are "in it together" - onethistle.

Not only is the decision itself a massive step backwards in the relationship between fans and club, but the way the announcement was handled just beggars belief.

Feel really sorry for Jim and Lance as well, they have taken so much sh*t from various people in the past 12 months trying to fight the fans corner.

Could easily understand the two of them wanting to walk away from all that now, who could blame them?

Edited by ian_mac
  • Like 4

Completely understand why fans are upset about being moved but I'd rather a lower risk of damage from flares should there be any to the main stand, especially since they're spending some money on it before season starts.

If they've been advised by police and if it will bring some extra money to the club then it is probably wise as a business decision. An unpopular one perhaps but benefits the club.

I do agree though it's a ridiculous way to find out about it, one that should have been communicated with onethistle first. Hopefully the club reads this and learns for in future!

I assume the games against the east-end arse cheek will be televised, no need to kow-tow to those cretins especially after their fans behaviour at the Glasgow Cup final. Shame the SFL bottled the vote on fan behaviour today otherwise it would not have been an issue.

I will nevet boycott a Thistle game but I can see this leading to a lot of decent Thistle fans staying at home on a point of principle. FTOF. OTIG. One Thistle!

I am not really one for criticising the club as I can't be bothered with the politics - but 2 things strike me here. If the Celtic fans can't be trusted not to burn down the main stand they should be excluded period.( note that the Argentine FA have banned all travelling fans to all grounds because of crowd trouble) and 2nd is there a moral element to be considered. The Jags fans were promised the North Stand, morally they should not renege on that agreement.

Is there some way that we can protest to the club formally ? I am sure there is still time for the club to change their mind.

I haven't read through this, so apologies if I repeat anything. Was it not the intention to house away fans in the old Main Stand for the duration of next season, however the antics of the OF fans at the recent Glasgow Cup Final and the poorer safety quality of the Main Stand mean that Police require Celtic fans to be housed elsewhere?

Is it essential that the club goes along with police advice?. Can the latter enforce what they want by, perhaps, increasing the cost of policing or even threatening to withdraw police presence altogether? Things have come to a pretty pass If after nearly 80 years of use by fans of of all persuasions our venerable stand has to be declared out of bounds to followers of one (or two?) clubs. who have used it for generations without incident.. This seems to me a gross overreaction to the events at the recent match between young boys "representing" the Old Firm , where the police were obviously caught unawares. .Surely it is not too late for a serious re-think of the situation ?

disgraceful decision, although if it's the police that have made it then I don't suppose there's much we can do about it. The board should all pay £25 or whatever they charge us, and sit in the crappy corner of celtic park that we have to. They do nothing to accommodate away supporters, so why the hell should we accommodate them? It's not like they'll sell out their tickets unless its the first game of the season.

all this rubbish about mingling as well. Go to parkhead or ibrox & we have to 'mingle' with 10's of thousands of them immediately on leaving the ground :mad:

FTOF

correct decision IMO. while sitting in the main stand at the Firhill Cup, my first thoguht was 'this will go up in smoke when the Green Brigade turn up'. a bit of inconvenience for one game to ensure the main stand doesn't go up in flames. you all know what some of them are like - if they get wind that there's a fear our stand might get razed to the ground then guaranteed at least one of the will actually try it.

Is it essential that the club goes along with police advice?. Can the latter enforce what they want by, perhaps, increasing the cost of policing or even threatening to withdraw police presence altogether? Things have come to a pretty pass If after nearly 80 years of use by fans of of all persuasions our venerable stand has to be declared out of bounds to followers of one (or two?) clubs. who have used it for generations without incident.. This seems to me a gross overreaction to the events at the recent match between young boys "representing" the Old Firm , where the police were obviously caught unawares. .Surely it is not too late for a serious re-think of the situation ?

What a difference a nights sleep makes, if there is a glimmer that we can change this decision then lets fight to change it.

I hope there is still a chance, Briogadh. But the only way there is a chance is if everyone against giving up our stand to these people lets their voice be heard! Be it on here, or via the Club itself. on [email protected] ... @thistletweet

You are right, this is only advice from the Police, it's not an order. There is nothing to stop us having the same set up as the Morton game. Infact it could be set up so that the morons in their support are specifically put in the JHS, right beside police control. And the normal Celtic fans be housed in the Main Stand. The Police were happy to accept this set up before the Glasgow Cup game.

I would urge every fan who has enjoyed standing in the North Stand to contact the Club, let them know that you are against this. That the North Stand is Thistle's stand and that 2000 fans will not be moved based on groundless advice from the police and our board chasing the Celtic pound.

Make your voice heard. If you don't speak up, no one will hear you.

[email protected] ... @thistletweet

644733_399091713521434_183776773_n.jpg

Edited by potty trained

They do nothing to accommodate away supporters, so why the hell should we accommodate them? It's not like they'll sell out their tickets unless its the first game of the season.

all this rubbish about mingling as well. Go to parkhead or ibrox & we have to 'mingle' with 10's of thousands of them immediately on leaving the ground :mad:

FTOF

This^^^

email sent... i hope you all do the same [email protected]

I write to you today disappointed at the “leaked” news that Partick Thistle fans are to be removed from the North Stand when Celtic come to Firhill this coming season.

As you will know, the move of the singing section to the North Stand has been a great success, what started off as around 140 fans against Falkirk saw us reach capacity of 2000 against Morton. 2000 fans together generating the kind of atmosphere not seen at Firhill since the days when the old shed was all standing. An atmosphere that spread across the stadium, making it a night that will go down in our history as one of the best at Firhill.

I would urge the board of directors to reconsider this decision at Monday’s board meeting, that you as the custodians of Partick Thistle listen to the fans and our objection to this move.

There is no reason to prevent the same set up for Celtic as that which was in place against Morton. If the police have such grave concerns that they are incapable of policing the green brigade, then those specific Celtic fans should have tickets allocated to them for the North End of the JHS infront of police control.

We should not be moved on the basis that after the Glasgow Cup game the police can’t police a group of fans. I would be even more disgusted if the Celtic pound, had any influence over this decision and our Club have decided to do this to generate extra income at the cost of treating our fans like cattle, herded to where ever the board see fit.

Only 12 hours after this news broke, there is already talk of boycott’s if this decision is kept in place. No public statement has been made by the Club, there is still a chance to change this decision. I would urge you ensure the right thing is done. Firhill is the home of Partick Thistle, our stadium.

David Johnston

• Like 1

Completely understand why fans are upset about being moved but I'd rather a lower risk of damage from flares should there be any to the main stand, especially since they're spending some money on it before season starts.

If they've been advised by police and if it will bring some extra money to the club then it is probably wise as a business decision. An unpopular one perhaps but benefits the club.

I do agree though it's a ridiculous way to find out about it, one that should have been communicated with onethistle first. Hopefully the club reads this and learns for in future!

So because of the total disrespect that was showed by the celtic support at the under 17 game, our response is to mollycoddle them in case they kick off again? Can't believe I'm reading this.

If the celtic support can't be trusted in a wooden stand, then quite simply, don't let them in there. Tell them they are only getting 1,500 tickets and use the U17 game as the reason why. If thistle fans had trashed celtic park on our last visit do you think they would have us back next time and give us the green brigade's section?

Let's also remember that PTFC own Firhill Stadium, the police don't. We employ the police to work for us. They can make recommendations, but at the end of the day they work for us in our stadium, so it's ultimately the decision of PTFC where the home and away fans are housed.

Again, totally agree with Davie, everyone who doesn't agree with this decision should be emailing the club to let them know their feelings. They probably do read this forum but if emails are sent, then they can't ignore it.

• Like 1

Email sent, and like others I recommend everyone that feels strongly about this does the same:

Hi,

FAO: The Board of Partick Thistle Football Club

I'm sure you're currently very busy preparing for our return to the SPL but I feel the need to email to express my extreme disappointment with the news that you intend to move Thistle fans from the North Stand when Celtic visit Firhill next season. I understand that this is on police advice due to safety concerns housing Celtic fans in the Main Stand, presumably with consideration to their behaviour in the Glasgow Cup Final at Firhill a few weeks ago. I also understand that you want to maximise revenue for the club and that this game presents a significant opportunity to do so. However I would request that you reconsider for the following reasons.

First, in the last season The North Stand has become the beating heart of our support. I have stood there at every game I've attended since it was trialled for the Falkirk game last season and it has single-handedly created a match-day experience at Firhill that made me excited to attend games again. This transferred onto the pitch with the players clearly appreciating the vocal support they were given and results being spectacular. The North Stand became the embodiment of the spirit of togetherness that helped get us over the line last season. I do not think we should surrender this for anyone.

Further, it is clear that having fans behind the goal has given us an advantage in the past season. Not only has the atmosphere been improved, with home fans always now more vocal than away fans, but the impact of having home fans right behind the goal should not be underestimated. In the last season I've seen us influence goalkeeper confidence, both positively in Scott Fox and negatively in opponents. I've seen the emotion in players faces when they score into those goals and run right in front of the fans. It is clear that having fans in the North Stand gives us a distinct home advantage. If there is any game where we will need every possible advantage it is the Celtic game - we should not give this up.

Second, it is not our fault if Celtic fans cannot behave themselves (especially at an Under 17 match) in such a way as to be allowed to sit in a timber-framed stand. This is exactly the type of behaviour that Thistle fans have experienced from both halves of the Old Firm for too long, and sadly it continues to show no sign of changing. And it will never change if opposing teams change their own arrangements to accommodate it.

Finally, even if such change was considered, it disappoints me that no attempt was made to liaise with the onethistle team to explain the situation and look for a solution, and at least ensure any decision was communicated positively and effectively. This is disrespectful to a group of people who have done so much to improve the Firhill match day experience in the past season, having pioneered the North Stand move in the first place.

I understand that we are not in a position to intentionally reduce revenues and appreciate that there is no outcome here that will please everyone. In that case please ensure you focus on pleasing the Thistle fans. If Celtic cannot be trusted in the Main Stand then give them an allocation of 2,000 in the Jackie Husband and explain, publicly, that this reduced allocation is because we cannot trust them to behave themselves in other sections of the stadium, and that we refuse to allow their behaviour to inconvenience Thistle fans. Use this as a rallying call for Thistle fans to turn out in numbers to make up for the reduced travelling support. Yes, we will reduce our revenue for this game but this will send a message that I believe would have a positive affect on home attendances throughout the season, as opposed to the likely negative effect of the imposed move. And then sit back and watch as the North Stand attempts to roar our team to a famous victory.

No official communication has yet been made. It's not too late to make this right.

Yours,

Charles Bowie