Transfer Targets

ForeverandEver

Archie will be paying close attention to the conditioning coach’s data on Kerr and I think he will want to take a look at him in a few games before offering him a contract.

I remember seeing Kerr playing for Falkirk against us when he was a youngster and it was clear then he was going to play at a higher level. If we can get him to the form he showed for Dundee United and Aberdeen then he will be a great signing. If we do get him on board then I would guess he will get the captaincy.

I believe Archie is doing the right thing going for players like Sutton and Kerr, it gives an experienced backbone to the side which will be a massive help to the younger players.

Edited by Alan Murray

Archie will be paying close attention to the conditioning coach’s data on Kerr and I think he will want to take a look at him in a few games before offering him a contract.

I remember seeing Kerr playing for Falkirk against us when he was a youngster and it was clear then he was going to play at a higher level. If we can get him to the form he showed for Dundee United and Aberdeen then he will be a great signing. If we do get him on board then I would guess he will get the captaincy.

I believe Archie is doing the right thing going for players like Sutton and Kerr, it gives an experienced backbone to the side which will be a massive help to the younger players in the side.

is Sutton on trial?

Just seen the mention of a new strength and conditioning coach on the ET article, so I decided to google the guy. He hasn't taken long to update his website with his new role.

The testimonies look good, with athletes from a range of sports as well as two footballers, one of whom is a goalkeeper.

i seem to remember Mark Roberts didnt exactly set the world alight before he came to the Jags... now if you speak to any Jags fan about him an instant smile comes across their face!

I met him on a night out last Friday. He didn't know I was a Jags fan and my Falkirk supporting mate asked him who were the best fans that he played in front of. He said "without a doubt; Partick Thistle." Wasn't so complimentary of Airdrie fans though. He also said the best player he played against was Brian Laudrup. And the best player he played with was Jukka Santala...Ok, I made that last one up.

I wonder if Mark Kerr would be too similar to Murray. It’s very clear he is not a goalscorer, having only found the net 11 times in over 350 league appearances, which is probably a similar statistic to Hugh Murray.

If Kerr could come in and be a Rowson type player who brings other into play, whilst not particularly being a prolific goalscorer, that would be fine. But having lost Erskine, I would like to see a more attacking minded midfielder being brought in.

I wonder if Mark Kerr would be too similar to Murray. It’s very clear he is not a goalscorer, having only found the net 11 times in over 350 league appearances, which is probably a similar statistic to Hugh Murray.

If Kerr could come in and be a Rowson type player who brings other into play, whilst not particularly being a prolific goalscorer, that would be fine. But having lost Erskine, I would like to see a more attacking minded midfielder being brought in.

If memory serves, Kerr can pass the ball a lot better than Hugh Murray.

A fully fit Mark Kerr will perform the 'Paton' role in the team better than Paton.

He has vast experience of the SPL and my only worry about him is speed and fitness. I'm sure Archie will fully assess him before any contract offer is made.

• Like 1

The player we're lacking is a solid defensive midfielder. Why would you want an attack minded defensive midfielder? Forbes, Welsh, Bannigan etc. will be the forward thinking midfielders, we need a midfielder who will sit and protect the defence. By all account Mark Kerr is that type of player.

The player we're lacking is a solid defensive midfielder. Why would you want an attack minded defensive midfielder? Forbes, Welsh, Bannigan etc. will be the forward thinking midfielders, we need a midfielder who will sit and protect the defence. By all account Mark Kerr is that type of player.

Forbes, Welsh and Bannigan are very good players in their way, but even combined, they didn't beat Erskine's goal (and maybe even assists) contribution. Don't you think we could be doing with something more? Kerr is probably a decent Paton replacement, but we're still short of creativity. That would be doubly so if we lost Lawless too, as there is still plenty time for movement on that front.

Never been that sold on Sutton. Not a bad player but at times over rated by some I think. He is also being tipped to leave Hearts Mainly for the reason he does not want to take a paycut. Tgat means to me if he isn't willing to accept less money from hearts, then we wouldn't be able to offer him enough of a weekly wage to make him sign for us - unless we smashed our wage structure to get him.

And I don't think he is that good a player (or that hard working) to justify doing so.

Plus, someone on a wage likely 2 or 3 times above our next nearest high earner, could lead to some disharmony in the squad, and potentially spoiling the togetherness the squad has.

Forbes, Welsh and Bannigan are very good players in their way, but even combined, they didn't beat Erskine's goal (and maybe even assists) contribution. Don't you think we could be doing with something more? Kerr is probably a decent Paton replacement, but we're still short of creativity. That would be doubly so if we lost Lawless too, as there is still plenty time for movement on that front.

We do need a new Erskine type player. Whether Bannigan, Craigen or Lawless (who we do need to keep I feel) can become that player, or Archie brings someone in, just have to waitand see.

Never been that sold on Sutton. Not a bad player but at times over rated by some I think. He is also being tipped to leave Hearts Mainly for the reason he does not want to take a paycut. Tgat means to me if he isn't willing to accept less money from hearts, then we wouldn't be able to offer him enough of a weekly wage to make him sign for us - unless we smashed our wage structure to get him.

And I don't think he is that good a player (or that hard working) to justify doing so.

Plus, someone on a wage likely 2 or 3 times above our next nearest high earner, could lead to some disharmony in the squad, and potentially spoiling the togetherness the squad has.

The counter to that would be if the guy was so good his efforts were resulting in more win bonuses. I don't tho' think we'd go down that route.

We do need a new Erskine type player. Whether Bannigan, Craigen or Lawless (who we do need to keep I feel) can become that player, or Archie brings someone in, just have to waitand see.

We might not line up in such a fashion that allows a lawless and an erskine type to both be in the starting 11....

Fox

McMillan - Muirhead - Balatoni

O'Donnell-------------------------------------------Sinclair

DefMid

Welsh--------Bannigan

Lawless

Doolan

The counter to that would be if the guy was so good his efforts were resulting in more win bonuses. I don't tho' think we'd go down that route.

True.

Also for clarification, if we were to offer someone "a star wage", it would have to be for a player like Chris Erskine.

Does anyone think its too soon to ask him if he's ready to come home yet, and do a Richard Britton and renage on his PCA?

if he isn't willing to accept less money from hearts, then we wouldn't be able to offer him enough of a weekly wage to make him sign for us - unless we smashed our wage structure to get him.

You're probably right to suggest that we couldn't afford him (definitely, if Motherwell or Aberdeen are in for him), but it could be that he has just got sick of Hearts and not being paid bonuses or not on time or whatever. Remember they need to sell 3000 STs and the administrator was still talking about 2 senior players going even if they succeeded in that. If they don't sell 3000, Sutton could very well find himself bagged on the eve of the season and having to look for a club or taking an even bigger pay cut. Maybe better just to bail out and get into a decent club which you can have some confidence will pay the wages!

We might not line up in such a fashion that allows a lawless and an erskine type to both be in the starting 11....

Mightbe a valid point potty. All depends how AA plans us to play, but I always felt long before CE said he was off, that we could be a joy to watch in the SPL with CE playing a predominately free role just behind the striker(s).

Whats done is done, but am still gutted we will never get to see what could have been with The Bridge in our 1st 11 in the SPL.

We do need another winger. I think Graham Carey could do a job on the left. St. Mirren fans seemed split on him leaving, he's 24 and can also provide cover at left-back. I'd be happy enough with him coming into the squad.

If we were to offer a "star wage" as talked about, which I don't necessarily agree with, it should go to a striker. Speaking of which: Sutton looks to be joining Motherwell...

We do need another winger. I think Graham Carey could do a job on the left. St. Mirren fans seemed split on him leaving, he's 24 and can also provide cover at left-back. I'd be happy enough with him coming into the squad.

If we were to offer a "star wage" as talked about, which I don't necessarily agree with, it should go to a striker. Speaking of which: Sutton looks to be joining Motherwell...

Carey might not be a bad shout and is exactly the sort of player we should be looking at. He would also be an option to Forbes at setpieces.

I'd also have a look at Sam Parkin who has also been released and is a big experienced targetman who knows where the net is even if it didn't work out at Saints. I saw him play for Swindon, where he was a hero, and on that day he was virtually unplayable.

We will bring in an experienced centre back, a holding midfield player, a creative left sided midfielder and a target man striker imo.

They may be room for one more especially if Murray is paid off.

The squad at the moment looks very light on tackers in the midfield. Hopefully Craigan and Bannigan will be able to step up to provide this.

If we can't get Sutton I'd be looking at Lee Miller. Reckon Carey would do a good job playing off the main striker and can also cover at left-back, but as others have said it's rumoured his fitness wasn't great last season so we'd need to see what shape he was in.

Lee Miller is under contract at Carlisle until August and been discussing a new deal. Could we offer him similar or better terms?