Kallum Higginbotham

Chachi

Straight into the squad according to Archie. In place of Kerr or Forbes ?

I'd imagine this could become a first choice XI once everyone is settled in to the squad:

Fox

O'Donnell Muirhead Balatoni Taylor-Sinclair

Fraser Bannigan

Lawless Forbes Higginbotham

Doolan

Could see Kerr in there in place of Bannigan or Forbes, McMillan in place of O'Donnell, Baird for Doolan, Craigen or Mukendi for any of the midfield front three, Gabe for either CB. That's some decent depth and I've probably missed a few people too. Seems we have a lot of creative midfielders that can create cances now.

I'd imagine this could become a first choice XI once everyone is settled in to the squad:

Fox

Fraser Bannigan

Lawless Forbes Higginbotham

Doolan

Could see Kerr in there in place of Bannigan or Forbes, McMillan in place of O'Donnell, Baird for Doolan, Craigen or Mukendi for any of the midfield front three, Gabe for either CB. That's some decent depth and I've probably missed a few people too. Seems we have a lot of creative midfielders that can create cances now.

I think you've got it pretty much spot on. No Welsh though? Archie's got good options.

Welsh for Forbes, Fraser or Bannigan and there's Murray for Fraser or Bannigan.

Osbourne will be a definite starter. Aberdeen and other Premiership fans are saying he's a very good SPL player. I reckon, as I said in the Ross County thread, our best XI is: Fox, O'Donnell, Muirhead, Balatoni, Taylor-Sinclair, Osbourne, Welsh ©, Bannigan, Lawless, Higginbotham, Doolan.

Edited by ThickAsThieves

This.

Forbes has by all accounts been looking good in pre season (only saw the Limassol game myself) but against Ayr, he didn't look in the slightest bit interested.

On paper, the Higginbotham signing is a good one and one that gives the team some much needed width. Here's hoping he proves a success.

Forbes is an excellent player but he looks as if he has spat the dummy out by not starting on Friday after starting nearly all the pre season games. We have loads of competition for midfield positions so he needs to get his head down and battle his way back into the team

Forbes I'd imagine based on performances in the game v Ayr. Sorry to see such a poor performance from Forbes as he has great ability but he needs to work harder - I thought he'd sorted that out...

This.

Forbes has by all accounts been looking good in pre season (only saw the Limassol game myself) but against Ayr, he didn't look in the slightest bit interested....

Osbourne will be a definite starter....

My feeling about the Ayr United game was that Osbourne seemed to be playing in the third team on the park: he constantly tried to compete with Forbes in particular. It doesn't seem right to blame Forbes for being asked to play alongside strangers, or for being out of sorts when the positions he's used to are disrupted to accommodate them.

I think you've got it pretty much spot on. No Welsh though? Archie's got good options.

Welsh for Forbes, Fraser or Bannigan and there's Murray for Fraser or Bannigan.

No place for Baird? I though he was one of the players most interested and who worked hard all night against Ayr, I'd definitely see him in the squad if not the starting 11. I do like players who work hard all game and keep on digging, one of the characteristics Baird has and I think we will really need this season.

I think Osbourne needed that game the other night. Be interesting to see how Archie approaches his first away game. Isaac would I imagine, being the most defensive of the central midfielders (alongside Murray), be a likely starter. I didn't get the impression against Ayr that the central threesome of Forbes, Kerr & Osbourne combo is a goer. Well not for the time being.

I think the board deserve a fair amount of credit for this, i reckon they'll have pushed the boat out to bring a player of his calbre in especially since it was stated we tried earlier on and we couldn't get him. Also given the club hes just come from I reckon he'll be on a good wage too. Speculation of course, but the evidence at hand says we've probably punched above our weight bringing him in.

I think Huddersfield must have paid off Higginbotham, because there must be a big difference to what we pay and what a championship team pay.

Here is what I think will be our strongest team. The Welsh, Osbourne combination in midfield makes us look very strong in the centre of midfield. Still think Archie will bring in another striker.

Fox

Welsh Osbourne

Lawless Bannigan Higginbotham

Doolan

No place for Baird? I though he was one of the players most interested and who worked hard all night against Ayr, I'd definitely see him in the squad if not the starting 11. I do like players who work hard all game and keep on digging, one of the characteristics Baird has and I think we will really need this season.

Twinny mentioned him in his post. Definitely on the bench, I'd always have Doolan ahead of him but if his form took a dip stick Baird up top. I really want Baird to prove his worth, especially because for some he's already our new scapegoat after two competitive games. He may not score 10+ this season but his work rate can't be questioned.

I think he's a cleverer player than people give him credit for too. According to Raith fans, the reason why Tade had such a prolific season for Raith a few years back was because Baird would work off him and drag defenders away from Tade so he could use his space to get in behind the opposition defence. Erskine, Lawless and whoever was up top would all work together to drag defenders apart and create openings, especially Erskine and Lawless. I'm hoping Baird can do this for us.

At the moment, I don't see where all the love for Osbourne is coming from. I think that Fraser would really feel hard done by if he misses out starting on Saturday as he was probably our 2nd best player vs DU after Welsh

I'd keep Fraser in the team without a doubt, for me he was our MOTM against the Arabs.

Osbourne will be a definite starter. Aberdeen and other Premiership fans are saying he's a very good SPL player. I reckon, as I said in the Ross County thread, our best XI is: Fox, O'Donnell, Muirhead, Balatoni, Taylor-Sinclair, Osbourne, Welsh ©, Bannigan, Lawless, Higginbotham, Doolan.

Not on Tuesday night's evidence. Best midfield just now by far - or the fittest and most mobile, at least - is Fraser, Bannigan, Welsh, Craigan and Lawless. Craigan's place may be under threat due to Higginbotham's arrival but there's no way Fraser, Bannigan or Welsh should be displaced to accommodate a player that the sages of Aberdeen assure us is good.

• Like 4