Striking Solution

QueensXkid

God. Just seen John Bairds sclaffed shot on Sportscene. Sums up my opinion of him up I'm afraid. Not a hope in hell he'll reach double figures this season and would be surprised if he makes it to 5. Let's hope we can draw our way to safety.

Nice to see you've chosen your scapegoat for the season already.

What an attitude to have.

:no:

We sure as hell ain't gonna win many at this rate so I figure it may be our best hope. Where's plan B and plan C in all of this. As much as I love the lovely flowing football, when we continually look clueless in the final third you have to mix it up a bit. As for Baird, wake up and smell the coffee. He's average 1st Div standard at best. Gonna be a long season.

God. Just seen John Bairds sclaffed shot on Sportscene. Sums up my opinion of him up I'm afraid. Not a hope in hell he'll reach double figures this season and would be surprised if he makes it to 5. Let's hope we can draw our way to safety.

Much better players have missed much better chances. He actually brought the ball down very well. I think it is time for Baird to get the nod ahead of Doolan. Contributes so much more to the game and he can actually play football. Been saying this since the Livingston game in pre-season. Hopefully it will soon sink in to Archie.

For the record, although I prefer Baird to Doolan, we still desperately need another top striker.

We sure as hell ain't gonna win many at this rate so I figure it may be our best hope. Where's plan B and plan C in all of this. As much as I love the lovely flowing football, when we continually look clueless in the final third you have to mix it up a bit. As for Baird, wake up and smell the coffee. He's average 1st Div standard at best. Gonna be a long season.

If he was average he wouldnt have won first divison player of the year, Im afraid it takes a bit above the average to win one of those

All good strikers need good service, is our midfield making enough chances, is the mix right? For me Higginbotham must start. Getting the balance between attack and defence is the key to our problems. We have Kerr, Osbourne, Fraser, Welsh, Craigan, Forbes, Higginbotham, Lawless, Bannigan, Elliot all competing for 5 places if we are only playing with one striker. The mix in midfield is crucial to the chances Baird or Doolan get, the jury is out on both but even if we sign another we still need to find the right mix in midfield.

It was always going to be difficult getting someone to put the ball in the net on a regular basis, especially after the loss of Erskine. It will do absolutely no good at all getting on the backs of the forwards we do have, It'd be nice to think that Archie could unearth a hidden gem, but realistically that's not too likely. Looking around at the other teams likely to be our rivals this season, I must say our goal scoring problem is hardly unique. Our best option is to persevere with our passing game and assume that the laws of probability will apply and that eventually we'll hit the net, like we did last season. To be fair I have yet to hear a sensible alternative as opposed to "he's crap etc," or wishing for a miracle. As I've posted on this site numerous times, now is not the time to express doubts and slag off our players .Now more than ever we've got to get behind the team on and off the park. Let's think back a few years to the last time we were in the Premier League, we were to be honest ranks rotten, now we are competing with a genuine chance of victory and also playing the best football I can remember. Sure were gonna have off days, every team has them and that's where we come in getting right behind the team, not being carping or negative 'cos we ain't got Lionel Messi!

• Like 2

Shop door opens and Archie enters

Shop Owner- "Good morning, Alan, what can I do for you?

AA- "Hi! I'd like to have a striker please. What you got available?"

Shop Owner- "Leavin' it bit late eh? Nearly end of August but I'll see what we've left in the window. What type you lookin' for? Not another little 'un I take it?"

AA- "Naw I'd like a big 'un, good at holding the ball up, strong, great at heidin' the ball. Oh, and Shaggy says to make sure he's sociable. He doesn't want one too full of himself. A big heid that's no big heided if you get my drift."

Shop Owner- "Ok, want one with a scoring warranty or do you want to take your chances with a young hopeful?"

AA- "Proven scorer please."

Shop Owner- "Write down how much you got to spend, usual terms conditions you can offer, you know the drill"

AA scribbles down terms and condition

Shop Owner- "Hey Archie you're in luck I've got just the fella for you on that budget. Well over 6ft, built like an ox, scored 20 last season, scores with his feet and head. Do you want your John Gemmell wrapped or not?"

I think that wanting another Striker i.e. Tall target man does not mean that we are saying that the strikers we have at the moment are all of a sudden bad my take on it is that it would allow you a plan B when the only option we have at the moment is not working at times. For instance a tall target man does allow you a get out of jail ball when you are under pressure however the tall target man does have to make the ball stick.

When we play at home I would stick with the current system and probably start every away game with it however if it doesnt work during the game then it has to change and bringing on one small striker for another is not going to change too much for our opponents defence. However most of the above is stating the obvious but as starts to the season goes I am totally happy only slight dissapointment is probably the Hearts game as when you are that on top you have to bury the opposition but hey ho bring on St Mirren

What I am finding a little worrying is the lack of shots on target, and these also need to come from the midfield, we have also had a huge amount of corners this season (More than 6 a game) we need to start converting some of these (We had 10 against Dundee United)

Corners 27

Total Shots 45 Average of 11 a game

Shots on Target 20 (10 against Ross county) 5 a game ave or 3 a game less Ross County

Goals 4 (1 a penalty)

What I am finding a little worrying is the lack of shots on target, and these also need to come from the midfield, we have also had a huge amount of corners this season (More than 6 a game) we need to start converting some of these (We had 10 against Dundee United)

Corners 27

Total Shots 45 Average of 11 a game

Shots on Target 20 (10 against Ross county) 5 a game ave or 3 a game less Ross County

Goals 4 (1 a penalty)

it's changed now but before the Motherwell game I read we'd had more shots on target than anyone else in the league in the first 3 games (2 for Celtic / St Mirren).

We also scored from a corner against Ross County- having become accustomed to Thistle teams scoring about 1 goal a decade from set pieces, last year was a welcome difference.

it's changed now but before the Motherwell game I read we'd had more shots on target than anyone else in the league in the first 3 games (2 for Celtic / St Mirren).

We also scored from a corner against Ross County- having become accustomed to Thistle teams scoring about 1 goal a decade from set pieces, last year was a welcome difference.

Shots on Target

Vs DUFC 1

Vs Ross County10

Vs Hearts 5

Vs Motherwell 4

I love the way we play but sometimes we need to crack one at the keeper a tad earlier

Shots on Target

Vs DUFC 1

Vs Ross County10

Vs Hearts 5

Vs Motherwell 4

I love the way we play but sometimes we need to crack one at the keeper a tad earlier

if you have the stats to hand how does this compare to other teams in the league?

I agree we try and walk it in a bit at times, but off the top of my head Osbourne, Forbes, and Muirhead all had shots from outside the box vs Well.

Total Shots

Celtic 50 (3 Games)

Thistle 45

Motherwell 44

Inverness 39

St Johnstone 39

Hearts 32

Hibs 32

Dundee Utd 32

Ross County 31

St Mirren 30 (3 Games)

Aberdeen 28

Killie 26

Shots on Target

Thistle 20

Celtic 16

Hibs 14

Motherwell 14

Dundee Utd 14

Hearts 12

Ross County 12

St Johnstone 12

St Mirren 12 (3 Games)

Aberdeen 11

Kilmarnock 11

Inverness 11

Corners

Thistle 27

Celtic 23 (3 Games)

Dundee Utd 23

St Johnstone 21

Hearts 19

Motherwell 19

Ross County 18

Aberdeen 17

Hibs 16

Killie 14

St Mirren 12 (3 Games)

Inverness 10

Goals Scored

Inverness 8 (From 39 Shots = 1 in 5 shots goes in)

Celtic 8 (From 50 Shots = 1 in 6.25 shots goes in)

Aberdeen 6 (From 28 Shots = 1 in 4.7 shots goes in)

St Johnstone 5 (From 39 Shots = 1 in 7.8 shots goes in)

Dundee UTD 5 (From 32 Shots = 1 in 6.4 shots goes in)

Ross County 5 (From 31 Shots + 1 in 6.2 Shots goes in)

Thistle 4 (From 45 Shots = 1 in 11.25 shots goes in)

Hearts 4 (From 32 Shots = 1 in 8 shots goes in)

Killie 3 (From 26 shots = 1 in 8.7 shots goes in)

Hibs 3 (From 32 shots = 1 in 10.7 shots goes in)

Motherwell 3 (From 44 shots = 1 in 14.7 shots goes in)

St Mirren 1 (From 30 shots = 1 in 30 shots goes in)

Our shots on target, total shots and corners are top of the league stuff, but our finishing rate is 10th in the league

• Like 2

We're making the chances, just not getting them in, we are due to give someone a drubbing hopefully before our form or tactics change

Hope so. Hope we stick with it. Given where we've come from we're doing ridiculously well. Have to keep the faith.