Meet The Manager Night

davemains

Read a piece lost in the sports pages of the Sunday Snail last weekend where ATS saw his future down in the English Championship but was in no hurry to leave.

Going by twitter I think a lot of our young talents see their futures in the English leagues.

The training facilities Killie use are top drawer, shame we couldn't get them.

• Like 1

Oh dear.

Is this the same trust that fail to engage with the supporters and fail to communicate any of their activities outside their little clique?

http://www.jagstrust.co.uk/

http://www.jagstrust.co.uk/contact-us

:doh:

Actually, at the Jags Trust AGM there was an interesting discussion (open to all members) about why the current Chairman of the PTFC Ltd Board is prepared to take money and support from the Trust but refuses to acknowledge its contributions, although he does acknowledge less substantial contributions to the club's activities. It may be worth shareholders' while asking why this is so at the upcoming Annual General Meeting of PTFC Ltd.

Training Base - AA was hopeful of getting the Science Park at Glasgow Uni but Kilmarnock renewed their lease. Found it baffling how Glasgow Uni would help out Killie but not their local club. Accepts we need to wait for Kilmarnock to give the facility up before we get into it. The main reason why we haven't found a place is space. We need several pitches to train on due to both the First Team Squad and Under 20s being full time and training at the same time.

Science Park facilities are outstanding. I've thought for years that this would be the ideal place fot Thistle to train. Really frustrating that Glasgow Uni prefer to lease it out to Kilmarnock. Presumably someone within the university is a Killie fan... (Maybe when they go bust, we'll get it then...!)

• Members

Was talking to the taxi driver on the way home from the Airport on Thursday and he was telling me that his mate's son was a really good prospect and Thistle and Hibs were both interested in him. Thistle thought enough of him to offer a 2 year contract apparently. Gerry Britton spoke to the boy and explained the youth setup at Firhill, however the boy chose Hibs because they told him that Thistle were the Club that youngsters that failed at the likes of Hibs went to.

Hibs obviously have something to show for all their years of bringing youth through that can attract a youngster from Glasgow through to them in Edinburgh rather than chose a more local Club and this is why I think we really need to stick with the current youth policy and start producing players good enough for the first team. Players breaking through have been too few and too far between in the past. We really have to change this. Two absolute necessities for this though are...

1. A good scouting system to bring the best players in the first place.

2. A good training facility to keep them interested and develop them properly in the best environment possible.

• Members

Science Park facilities are outstanding. I've thought for years that this would be the ideal place fot Thistle to train. Really frustrating that Glasgow Uni prefer to lease it out to Kilmarnock. Presumably someone within the university is a Killie fan... (Maybe when they go bust, we'll get it then...!)

Does anyone use the Police facilities at Pollok Park? The Glasgow Referees association used to run training there during the Summer months when the schools were closed. Plenty of room there to split into different groups.

Actually, at the Jags Trust AGM there was an interesting discussion (open to all members) about why the current Chairman of the PTFC Ltd Board is prepared to take money and support from the Trust but refuses to acknowledge its contributions, although he does acknowledge less substantial contributions to the club's activities. It may be worth shareholders' while asking why this is so at the upcoming Annual General Meeting of PTFC Ltd.

By refusing to acknowledge are we back to the seat on the board issue again

Does anyone use the Police facilities at Pollok Park? The Glasgow Referees association used to run training there during the Summer months when the schools were closed. Plenty of room there to split into different groups.

Good call. We walk the dog in Pollok Park most days and you never see anyone using those parks in the morning. Plus the journey over from Firhill is just 10mins on the M77.

Saw the team training there a few times a couple of years back and I believe it's one of the facilities that they still use.

Shame that ATS and Lawless will be off at the end of the season but if we only lose two every season, then we'll still be a very decent side. I think there's a very decent chance Erskine will be back at the end of the season, which would be a perfect like for like.

I hope they're getting decent Championship moves or something because Sinclair moving to a team like Aberdeen or Hibs would be a complete waste. He's been outstanding since we've gone up, and don't think Scotland is out of the question. If you were offered to swap him for Whittaker would you take it?

Aah, rather than engage with the supporters (as is their remit), they are still going on about the fact that the BoD (rightly at the time) took their seat away.

Aah, rather than engage with the supporters (as is their remit), they are still going on about the fact that the BoD (rightly at the time) took their seat away.

yeah pretty shocking that they don't engage with the fans. they clearly need a new engagement strategy... maybe they should come up with an idea to have a meeting where people can join up and influence their direction. maybe getting something like the manager to come along would help get more fans interested?

Edited by mrD

I don't see any reason to think that. We only recently started a proper youth development plan and it's only since we got promoted we've developed it to the extent we need (and can afford) these kind of facilities. Killie had been already using these facilities and it was a case of renewing an earlier agreement. It's natural they should give the club that had already been using it first refusal.

• Like 1

Was talking to the taxi driver on the way home from the Airport on Thursday and he was telling me that his mate's son was a really good prospect and Thistle and Hibs were both interested in him. Thistle thought enough of him to offer a 2 year contract apparently. Gerry Britton spoke to the boy and explained the youth setup at Firhill, however the boy chose Hibs because they told him that Thistle were the Club that youngsters that failed at the likes of Hibs went to.

#

A bit underhand and unpleasant that - not to say arrogant. I'd have said a few years back Hibs would have been a good place for youngsters to go to but in recent years they haven't been so good at giving youngsters a chance. Still maybe we'll pick him up when he's discarded by Hibs in a couple of years.

You could say a few of our present team are discards form other clubs - Welsh, Bannigan, O'Donnell, Lawless, Balatoni. But they are all holding their own comfortably in the top league and two got under 21 caps after joining us. Maybe we were able to develop them better than their original clubs?

Shame that ATS and Lawless will be off at the end of the season but if we only lose two every season, then we'll still be a very decent side. I think there's a very decent chance Erskine will be back at the end of the season, which would be a perfect like for like.

I hope they're getting decent Championship moves or something because Sinclair moving to a team like Aberdeen or Hibs would be a complete waste. He's been outstanding since we've gone up, and don't think Scotland is out of the question. If you were offered to swap him for Whittaker would you take it?

What makes you think that? Would be fantastic news if it happened but just he did sign a 3 year contract and I think United would want a high price for him

Hey

I work at the science park sport complex so can throw some more light on this.

Killie have been using this complex full time for a good 7 or 8 years now. During this time, thistle have made a few enquiries to train there but only a day here and a day there. Finances obviously dictated this.

Now they have the finances, they are keen to train here full time. Problem being, we don't have enough resources to accommodate both clubs. Killie basically renewed their contract for this year march/ April time. We obviously had to wait until promotion was clinched to be financially able to afford these facilities. By that time it was too late.

As killie have Been there so long, it's just standard practice for the science park to offer them first refusal to renew first before offering our facilities out to other clubs.

For what's its worth, thistle have struck a deal to train at the science park every Tuesday, so they do train there, just not on a full time basis.

Although myself being a fan, I would love to rub shoulders with them on a daily basis

Hey

I work at the science park sport complex so can throw some more light on this.

Killie have been using this complex full time for a good 7 or 8 years now. During this time, thistle have made a few enquiries to train there but only a day here and a day there. Finances obviously dictated this.

Now they have the finances, they are keen to train here full time. Problem being, we don't have enough resources to accommodate both clubs. Killie basically renewed their contract for this year march/ April time. We obviously had to wait until promotion was clinched to be financially able to afford these facilities. By that time it was too late.

As killie have Been there so long, it's just standard practice for the science park to offer them first refusal to renew first before offering our facilities out to other clubs.

For what's its worth, thistle have struck a deal to train at the science park every Tuesday, so they do train there, just not on a full time basis.

Although myself being a fan, I would love to rub shoulders with them on a daily basis

It seems strange that Killie don't train in Kilmarrnock!!

I know it's off topic, but I find the mutterings of approval on this thread about the nothing idea of Erskine coming back really odd. He left us, and has since struggled to find any kind of form at all at Dundee United having taken the step up. This whilst all the players who have remained at the club have adapted to top-flight football superbly. It doubt it'll ever happen, but even if the opportunity did arise, re-signing Erskine would be a backwards step. If there really was a decision for the manager to make a few months ago on whether to sign up he and Paton on new and improved terms, it was a masterstroke of Archibald's to look elsewhere and use the freed up resources for proven SPL performers (and better players in general) like Higginbotham and Osbourne.

Edited by Noel Edmonds
  • Like 6

I know it's off topic, but I find the mutterings of approval on this thread about the nothing idea of Erskine coming back really odd. He left us, and has since struggled to find any kind of form at all at Dundee United having taken the step up. This whilst all the players who have remained at the club have adapted to top-flight football superbly. It doubt it'll ever happen, but even if the opportunity did arise, re-signing Erskine would be a backwards step. If there really was a decision for the manager to make a few months ago on whether to sign up he and Paton on new and improved terms, it was a masterstroke of Archibald's to look elsewhere and use the freed up resources for proven SPL performers (and better players in general) like Higginbotham and Osbourne.

I've said this elsewhere but to my mind we play a system which we've developed to get the best out of the players we have - Erskine was at his best with us because he played in a system developed to get the best out of him (and other players). Dundee Utd, though having our old manager, already had some good players and a different way of playing. Erskine's struggling a wee bit because he doesn't fit - but also because he isn't getting regular game, mainly due to the likes of Mackay-Steven being in their squad.

Archie has said in interviews when he looks for new players he looks for guys who will fit our system - makes sense, we can't afford top player so we get guys in who will fit our system - as our team is in a way greater than the sum of its parts.

Edit: Higgonbotham is obviously our Erskine replacement (skilful, likes to cut inside and can score). If Erkine returned (and I don't see that happening) he would have to fight for his place and wouldn't be a shoe-in. Still could do a good job for us I reckon.

Suspensions and injuries could give him his chance with United - though maybe since they play a different system he'll be used just behind the striker but it all depends who gets injured/suspended. If it doesn't happen for him this season, he may go out on loan but I don't see them giving him to another Premier club - and definitely not us given the feeling between the two clubs (and Thomson being a bit of a tosser).

Edited by Mr Bunny

I get what you're saying Noel but if there ever was a player that fitted hand to glove with PTFC it is/was Chris Erskine.

In terms of offering new deals to them or free up resources at the tail end of last season, I'm led to believe that Paton early on said he would be leaving whatever happened. Erskine on the other hand told the club he had been approached- as was any club's right given he was out of contract at the end of the season- and the club asked them to keep them informed of who & what was being offered.

Now unless I've been given a total bum steer over this (which I doubt knowing who it was who told me) Erskine was offered the same money as DU were going to give him but the problem being the length of contract. We could only offer one year whereas DU were offering 3. With a baby daughter & 3 years guaranteed money it's a no brainer to make -at the time.

At the time this was first rumoured of a move to DU I wrote on here that I couldn't see it happening for reasons which involved our ex manager & promises he made re playing Erskine when he first got the job that never really materialised at that point.

I think it's an open secret that he's not happy not playing at the moment. Also, it was hinted that Gary Mackay Steven would be off before window shut. With this having not happened, Erskine not really currying favour with Tannadice support so far, the young lads Gauld & Armstrong playing well along with the Turkish lad, I think he's slipped quite a bit down the pecking order & us having started so well, I think he possibly is wondering if he's made the right decision.

We all know Erskine's a confidence player & it's not to say it won't happen at DU, but with Lawless 99.9% certain to be off by next year, I'd take Erskine back in a heartbeat if the opportunity arose & for me it wouldn't be a backward step.

Not saying it'll happen but...

As a quick aside to this, I believe all not well in the Tannadice dressing room at the moment. The banning of the BBC/STV just another indication of pressure building.

Hopefully we can increase that in a few weeks in the league cup game. :)

I've said this elsewhere but to my mind we play a system which we've developed to get the best out of the players we have - Erskine was at his best with us because he played in a system developed to get the best out of him (and other players). Dundee Utd, though having our old manager, already had some good players and a different way of playing. Erskine's struggling a wee bit because he doesn't fit - but also because he isn't getting regular game, mainly due to the likes of Mackay-Steven being in their squad.

Archie has said in interviews when he looks for new players he looks for guys who will fit our system - makes sense, we can't afford top player so we get guys in who will fit our system - as our team is in a way greater than the sum of its parts. .

I agree that our system catered perfectly for Erskine last season. I think the maturity after a couple of seasons of inconsistency and struggling to find a role for himself in the team, the better standard of players we brought in to play around him, and also the general sub standard quality of the First Division all combined for him to have an excellent season where he had a wealth of space to run at and terrorise defenders. He was joyous to watch.

However, with the step up, the problem for me regarding Erskine is that it is just that: a step up. Lawless and Muirhead, and to a lesser extent maybe Sinclair, Bannigan and Craigen and the likes, all adapted to their first full seasons of first division football almost instantly. This is unlike Erskine who took the best part of two seasons to get the rawness of Junior football out of his system. I think the same thing will happen this season, and that the step up in quality won't come as naturally to him as it seems to have done to players still at our club. If he's to find his level in the Scottish Premiership at all, I think it will take a while like it did in his adaptation to First Division football.

To mildly return to being relevant to the thread and the manager himself, I would say that Archibald has surprised me on issues like the Erskine one. Of course after seeing his remarkable contribution last season, it would have been very easy, if indeed the option was there for him as was speculated, to tie he and Paton down on more lucrative contracts. That would have been a very populist thing to do (just see the unease about the 'void' left by Erskine up until Higginbotham's signing). Rather Archibald has taken a really pragmatic approach, and used the freed up wages to bring in proven performers at this level. Players who I'm stunned we've managed to bring in, judging by the manager himself and his lack of a wider, identifiable profile. He deserves huge credit for what has been an excellent transfer window for the club.

• Like 4