January Signings

Lionel J. Botch

Great deal IMHO, Fraser is a much greater prospect than Sinclair. Left backs are also much easier to come by - ask most football fans and they're happy with their full backs. Also I think Bannigans best place would be left back, when everyone is fit, and allow Fraser and Welsh the central mid spots.

With only a handful of professional games I find it pretty amazing what Fraser can do.

Disagree. Why are Scotland lumbered with a League1 back-up in the squad and a right back playing at Norwich as first choice left back?

A full back that plays in what many people describe as the best league in the world? For a team that gets some respect for their style of football and are fairly comfortable mid table? He's also managed two goals so far which is a good return for a full back. Not saying he's amazing Scotland quality but not the worst.

Also, I am talking about our level, not international level. Previous left backs have been (Sinclair), Bannigan, Twaddle, Boyle, Archie - the three latter went on to bigger clubs at the time. Is having five good left backs in a row a coincidence? I don't think so. It's the easiest position to play on the park and thats why good athletes with decent footballing ability do well. Much easier position to find a good player than CM.

Not doubting the Bolton part of the story but why would they release Fraser without giving him a chance.

Without using a few "allegedlys" I think Bolton have given the lad a chance. Not in game time admittedly. If it's as Veejag posts then that's an excellent deal.

btw since when have left sided full backs been easy to come by?

eta hadn't seen above post when posting. Disagree all the same.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

A bargain for Bolton as they got Fraser for hee haw! So a £50k layout for ATS?? Joke1

A joke?? I rate ATS highly but he has made it clear he doesnt want to sign a new contract. If he stays till the end of the season we get nothing, zilch, bog all. If the story is true, take the £50,000 and Fraser and add in a 25% sell on clause and I reckon thats a good deal. Not quite sure why you think its a joke!

A joke?? I rate ATS highly but he has made it clear he doesnt want to sign a new contract. If he stays till the end of the season we get nothing, zilch, bog all. If the story is true, take the £50,000 and Fraser and add in a 25% sell on clause and I reckon thats a good deal. Not quite sure why you think its a joke!

Same situation with Lawless! Did we say take the offer for him? NO we didn't! What's the difference???

Same situation with Lawless! Did we say take the offer for him? NO we didn't! What's the difference???

We weren't being given a player as well as £50k for Lawless - huge difference.

Also Lawless had a year, not six months, on his contract - second huge difference.

Fraser has more potential than Sincy and could be worth more money in the future - who knows.

Edited by mhs
  • Like 1

So why are Bolton dumping Fraser. Saw that he's trouble and decided that we can get their great potential left back for peanuts and offload a thug! Great deal!

'Trouble' and 'thug'... Okay, whatever... I assume your damning assessment of him is based on his moment of madness in the U-20s.

Perhaps there are other factors for us getting Fraser. Maybe Fraser enjoys Thistle or wants to stay in Scotland. He didn't want to move south when at Hamilton.

Archie places emphasis on team spirit and attitude and he wants Fraser so that indicates he may have the correct mindset.

Edited by mhs

So correct mindset means kicking a player, while he is on the ground, about the head and body?? Yeah great mindset!

I will trust Archie's assessment of Fraser, he has been watching him, playing him and training him for about 6 months. The lad is young and not been a professional for long. Mistakes are made and should be learned from.

I hope this doesn't turn into the moral arguments that took place when the incident happened. There is a thread for that.

After all, this Bolton move is a rumour as it stands. I would be happy with what has been suggested though. Reckon Fraser could be a real quality player and even worth a fair bit.

Fraser plus £55k is a pretty good return for a player that will be leaving for free in 4 months.

The money could be used to bring in a player that will score the goals to keep us in the Premiership.

What is Fraser valued at? He must have good potential to sign for Bolton in the first place.

So correct mindset means kicking a player, while he is on the ground, about the head and body?? Yeah great mindset!

I see where you're coming from. Having witnessed it it's probably the worst off the ball incident I've see in over 50 years watching senior football. But I emphasise "off the ball". We've no doubt all seen with our own eyes plenty of assaults, over the ball leg breakers etc during play. The most serious where the player even hopes to get away with his thuggishness in my mind much worse than what Fraser did.

One of our ex managers when a player broke three players legs in one season Sounness assaulted Peter Nicholas in an international. Two players, incidentally playing under the same manager. Both no doubt taken to task by Jock Stein but ultimately excused by him. If the likes of Stein can continue to play those senior players I can't see why Archie and PTFC can't give a teenager a second chance.

• Like 1

Wasnt at the game in question but anyone can lose the rag, so to call the boy a thug is a bit over the top, however he needs to get the head down, work hard and ensure that it never happens again. A repeat of that action again and it could be the end of a very promising career before he is even 20. Archie seems to want him badly so that is enough for me

Perhaps worth remembering that the behaviour of Charnley, before, during and after his stay(s) at Firhill was pretty deplorable - but he was a "character" a "one-off" so he gets away with it apparently. Fraser deserves criticism as do all players who act thuggishly on (and off) the park - however, as with life, some are treated rather more leniently than others.

• Like 2

Perhaps worth remembering that the behaviour of Charnley, before, during and after his stay(s) at Firhill was pretty deplorable - but he was a "character" a "one-off" so he gets away with it apparently. Fraser deserves criticism as do all players who act thuggishly on (and off) the park - however, as with life, some are treated rather more leniently than others.

& our manager was no shrinking violet at times...

Fraser's received & is serving his punishment. End of.

He has also played a few games since for the U20's. Has he behaved himself during these games ?

He has and it must be difficult. It would be rather unfortunate if he picked up any cards while we're kinda exploiting a loophole playing him in the first place. He was completely blameless for the Kyle Hutton leg break. Hutton himself said as much.