January Signings

Lionel J. Botch

Imo. Say nothing. Powder dry til the window opens. Have targets identified, then make moves and start naming names. Not 10-12 days beforehand. If it means there's less time to feel players/clubs out then Archie should have a list of 14 not 7 players.

Edited by The Legend Blows
  • Like 1

I like Higginbotham.

I am more positive about tomorrow's game with Osbourne being out.

He is excellent at winning the ball but useless at attacking and I think his inclusion forces us to change the way we were playing last season.

Well unless he's replaced by Baird or Kerr.

Look for Mark Kerr in the starting lineup.

Imo. Say nothing. Powder dry til the window opens. Have targets identified, then make moves and start naming names. Not 10-12 days beforehand. If it means there's less time to feel players/clubs out then Archie should have a list of 14 not 7 players.

Surely being prepared and getting enquiries in early is a good thing? We aint Arsenal and can afford to wait to make a trolley dash on the last day. I would be more worried if we were not trying to get players in let the club get on with it and let's critique who comes in rather than who doesn't.

Dundee looking for a striker in January following an injury that's put Beattie out for 12 weeks. Any chance we could unload Baird to them?

Baird has not been given anywhere near enough of a chance. Far worse players than him on our books. Besides Mukendi's loan ends shortly they can probably get him for nothing
  • Like 1

I agree, how can you possibly judge on a few starts and the rest as sub appearances

I agree that it isn't a lot of match time but it should be enough for him to show something. He hasn't scored nor has he assisted. Also, he has featured a fair bit for the U-20s which is a chance to show his worth with just a single goal or maybe two to his name.

I agree that it isn't a lot of match time but it should be enough for him to show something. He hasn't scored nor has he assisted. Also, he has featured a fair bit for the U-20s which is a chance to show his worth with just a single goal or maybe two to his name.

I thought Baird has only had 90mins with the U20s?

Not that I come from this way of thinking but I don't know how anyone who solely bases strikers on number of goals scored can defend Baird. I prefer to see what else a forward brings to the table like assists, link up play etc. But on the specific of John Baird I've never thought he was signed as serious competition for Doolan but more as a squad player who has SPL experience.

Personally I can't see if we had a fully fit squad to choose from why we'd ever start the wee fella but think he does an OK job coming on later on in a game. On the odd occasion we're winning then Baird coming on for a tiring Doolan or Lawless makes a lot of sense. Baird slots in fine as the rhythm of the team is largely unaffected. Trouble being we're more often or not needing a forward to come on to change things about, offer something different.

Contradicting myself to a degree but even when we're winning perhaps a forward more adept at holding the ball up the field would be of use. If we could get someone like that in on loan and if finances dictated then in turn sending Baird out on loan would make sense.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I thought Baird has only had 90mins with the U20s?

Not that I come from this way of thinking but I don't know how anyone who solely bases strikers on number of goals scored can defend Baird. I prefer to see what else a forward brings to the table like assists, link up play etc. But on the specific of John Baird I've never thought he was signed as serious competition for Doolan but more as a squad player who has SPL experience.

Personally I can't see if we had a fully fit squad to choose from why we'd ever start the wee fella but think he does an OK job coming on later on in a game. On the odd occasion we're winning then Baird coming on for a tiring Doolan or Lawless makes a lot of sense. Baird slots in fine as the rhythm of the team is largely unaffected. Trouble being we're more often or not needing a forward to come on to change things about, offer something different.

Contradicting myself to a degree but even when we're winning perhaps a forward more adept at holding the ball up the field would be of use. If we could get someone like that in on loan and if finances dictated then in turn sending Baird out on loan would make sense.

I think Baird has played more than 90 minutes for the U-20s. Seen his name on teamsheets and reports. I haven't checked every report on the official site but, from memory, I have seen his name on occasions.

I assume Archie did sign Baird as serious competition for Doolan. Otherwise, who was to challenge or offer another option for Doolan? Mukendi was obviously cheap/free and we couldn't really lose out. We know Elliot is not a lone striker, Archie used him in the wider role last season. So Baird must have been the serious competition for Doolan. Unless Archie thought having a single striker was a good idea. Worrying if he did.

Agree on the type of striker desired and the possibility of loaning Baird.

Edited by mhs
  • Like 1

I think Baird has played more than 90 minutes for the U-20s. Seen his name on teamsheets and reports. I haven't checked every report on the official site but, from memory, I have seen his name on occasions.

I assume Archie did sign Baird as serious competition for Doolan. Otherwise, who was to challenge or offer another option for Doolan? Mukendi was obviously cheap/free and we couldn't really lose out. We know Elliot is not a lone striker, Archie used him in the wider role last season. So Baird must have been the serious competition for Doolan. Unless Archie thought having a single striker was a good idea. Worrying if he did.

Agree on the type of striker desired and the possibility of loaning Baird.

Just guesswork but probably the signing that never happened (the deal that got bogged down due to the English window deadline being later than ours). Archie certainly had quite a few forwards in on trial (Hemmings & Boulding to name a couple). But the very fact he was still trying to sign a striker at the end of August suggests that he had doubts about our depth of options in attack.

With talk of ATS leaving we need at least two defenders, a midfielder (that can play in numerous positions) and a striker.

In regards to the striker, I hope it's not some utility man. Anybody coming here on loan for example will hardly be happy sitting on the bench every week for the in-form Dools. At this stage in the season I would like to see us at least at home playing with two strikers.

I am guessing we can land Gary Fraser until the end of the season which should help.

With talk of ATS going I feel we should be trying at the bare minimum to send Baird on loan. I know folk on here say he hasn't been given enough game time, but Archie sees him day in, day out in training, and obviously feels he doesn't warrant a place. Can't believe he signed him to a two year deal.

I hear ATS is off to Bolton.

We'll get Fraser plus 50k.

Not doubting the Bolton part of the story but why would they release Fraser without giving him a chance.

If he does go down there maybe they'll loan him back til end of season.

What's Kevin Davies up to these days btw? Striker needed up here :)