January Signings

Lionel J. Botch

There's evidently interest in getting Farid El Alagui in on loan for remainder of season.

Feel he's the type of player we should be looking at. Archie's obviously played against him and if he's not lost anything since he could make a real difference. Wee bit concern about his discipline last time up here so hopefully that's now in check.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I'd heard he was the player we were trying to sign in August but couldn't because of the discrepancy in the English and Scottish transfer deadlines due to the Sevco embargo. Would certainly fit the target man profile and as said if he's as good as he was at Falkirk then should be able to play at this level.

Would be happy with El Alagui, good age and size with a decent goal scoring record aswell.

Had a look through Brentford's games this season and few interesting points. He only ever comes on with about 10-20 minutes to go, and this only happens when Brentford are winning - he seems to play roughly 20 mins in every second game. He's got six goals so far (two in cup), in his very limited time on the pitch. However, two of those came in one game - which happened to be his last start - a league cup game against Wimbledon back at the start of September. I make it only three starts - all coming in August, so understandable why he wants away.

Anyway, there's some facts for you and here's a few comments from their forum - gets highly praised by them all.

"So far, so good. But, on the flipside, the change that Farid has had when coming off the bench has been unquestionable. A veritable game changer, you could see what a difference he made on Tuesday night where, I have no doubt, had he stayed put we would have gone home with a point at best

"Personally, I think the ‘secret weapon’ on the bench is a marvellous thing to have up our sleeves. It’s keeping the team on their toes with the prospect of this impact player (both in terms of presence and ability) to come."

A slight side note - the brentford fans are already looking at the championship table and discussing how it will effect them next season - a bit premature considering their currently in the playoff spots.

I'd heard he was the player we were trying to sign in August but couldn't because of the discrepancy in the English and Scottish transfer deadlines due to the Sevco embargo. Would certainly fit the target man profile and as said if he's as good as he was at Falkirk then should be able to play at this level.

I thought it was Alan Gow, maybe we were in for the 2 of them?

Farid was a fantastic player at Falkirk and dont know why he has not been given a chance elsewhere

I wonder if there's any chance Garry Kenneth could be a target. I heard he's been released by Bristol Rovers as he's not had much of a chance following a knee injury, he played with Archie at United and has good experience at SPL level and 2 international caps. I've never thought he was a great player but he's the type of 'heid the baw' centre back we need.

thoughts?

I think Farid could have better options than us to be honest and down South at that (where he stated he wanted to play) He knocked back the spl before If I remember correctly. But as someone says on Pie and Bovril we are looking at 7 strikers hopefully someone with a bit height and strength then maybe Doolan or Baird could play off him.

Disconcerting how people are talking about Callum Elliot and Garry Kenneth. Not the type of players I want to see for the type of football I want Thistle to keep playing. This is a long term project.

For goals. Kris Doolan is our best option and our top scorer. The problem we have is others are not scoring. Last year Lawless and Erskine scored a lot. This year it is all Doolan so we need a "number 10" type player. I thought Higgy would have scored more, he is direct and takes a shot but the goals have not come.

For defence Gabby and Muirhead played well against Hibs. I think it is more training ground work needed. We need to be looking for a replacement Left Back as a priority for next season although if we can get some pace in central defence that would be a bonus.

The problem is Doolan doesn't provide any presence up front to create opportunities for the rest of the team to score. I still think we would score more goals as a team with Baird up top than Doolan. But it's hard to justify dropping Doolan because six goals is a good return so far.

I think we should be using United as an example of what we're trying to do, and the amount of their attacks that begin with Ciftci getting the ball and running with it before passing back to Gauld, Armstrong, Mackay-Steven. This is what we need from our striker. Ciftci himself, hasn't got loads of goals (five) but he brings the team into the game and allows other to get up the park. There are goals in Higgy, Lawless, Forbes, Craigen, and a few in Bannigan, O'Donnell, Welsh, Sincy.

Edited by read'n'yell
  • Like 1

There's evidently interest in getting Farid El Alagui in on loan for remainder of season.

Feel he's the type of player we should be looking at. Archie's obviously played against him and if he's not lost anything since he could make a real difference. Wee bit concern about his discipline last time up here so hopefully that's now in check.

I'd be happy with him.

And if we could add another winger/attacking midfielder I'd be even happier.

Edited by Guy Incognito

A lot of papers both North and South of the border have linked us with Brentford frontman and ex Bairn, El Alagui. Archie has already said officially on STV that an enquiry was made, but a change in manager this week has thrown everything a bit up in the air.

Would be an incredible addition if we could secure the deal.

Seems Archies list of 7 has been reduced to 6.

https://twitter.com/ElAlagui/status/413661526420373504

How does this info even become public knowledge? Not very professional from Archie & Co. Even if he was available I'm guessing he'd instantly be on the radar of a good dozen or so clubs.

Not very professional from Archie & Co.

Well you don't by your own admission know how it became public, so how can you blame Archie? Could easily be from Brentford or an agent. More likely the latter I would reason as they usually have a vested interest in squeezing as much cash as possible out of their clients and prospective employers.