Dundee United V Partick Thistle - Saturday 23 November 3Pm K.o.

jagfox

To be fair this is his first game all season and maybe some slight slack should be cut regarding his performance, the other players do not have that excuse

United were running riot down our right flank. McMillan was nowhere to be seen - caught upfield and too slow to get back. Cost us at least two goals.

best scenario- rough winter . many postponements , time to regroup and dare i say it , adopt Auld and Lambie tactics to stay up. AA's football outlook is fine it's just sad to admit that we don't have the players to execute it at this level. Effort will only get you so far after your system has been sussed out.

There is a SERIOUS lack of professionalism about our team right now and has been for weeks and with suspensions (and probably injuries) we're gonna be down to the bare bones, thankfully Killie are so bad I still believe we are gonna stay up (hoping AJ doesn't get his jotters) so is it time to gamble, throw in some of the U20s that are doing well, blood them now so they are prepared for next season and show the first team their places ain't safe and need to knuckle down. Archie is looking a little inexperienced just now but I can't say it's all his fault, he's new to this league as well. Can you imagine what Lambie would be doing this team right now? IMO we need his attitude and influence back

After that display, I would not play McMillan. :help:

O'Donnell I have no problem with, but the jury is still very much out on Picollo as far as I am concerned. (And that's being kind.)

Our season is starting to remind me of Blackpool's appearance in the EPL from a few seasons back. Initially they chalked up a couple of good results and earned plenty of plaudits for an easy-on-the-eye passing style. Then they started drawing games they should have won, losing games they should have drawn, and took a couple of tankings along the way, before eventually returning from whence they came.

I am not saying that the same fate is destined to befall Thistle, particularly since we are in a league that is harder to get relegated from, but the signs are starting to look ominous.

Seriously fed up with this forum. Team's struggling and all anyone wants to do is write them off. We won't finish bottom and we're probably in a three or four team battle against the play off spot. Ross County and Kilmarnock are hardly making up ground. Confidence is massive in football and I reckon our team is capable of getting that back, but it'll be much harder if the fans start turning against them. We've had 14 great months followed by a bad one.

By all means tell me I don't have read it. I probably won't be and I hope more than anything that our players don't.

• Like 7

It is time to shore up at the back - 5 across the back and a more defensive midfield, at least for a while to try and pick up some draws. Then, once confidence is back a bit and maybe strengthened in Jan we can try reverting to a more attacking game

Draw against who? Hibs, Killie, St J? is that how far we've fallen? Feck that.........beat them all or at least try to!

best scenario- rough winter . many postponements , time to regroup and dare i say it , adopt Auld and Lambie tactics to stay up. AA's football outlook is fine it's just sad to admit that we don't have the players to execute it at this level. Effort will only get you so far after your system has been sussed out.

Every team has a system, don't they all get sussed out?? Truth is a bit of bad luck (St Mirren and Hibs) and a run of playing teams that were always likely to gub us (Celtic, Aberdeen, DU) has dented the team's confidence. There's no reason why we shouldn't be able to adapt our present system and be more solid although losing a main defender doesn't help. There's no need to throw away everything we've achieved in creating a side that is capable of playing really good football just because we're going through a bad patch. It may not be possible to reinstate it again if we stop.

I think some mistakes were made in not bringing in an experienced defender (Archie mentioned older guys needing game time but our defence is so young a 25-6 year old would have bags of experience compared to them) as we definitely have needed cover there. Time to realise the real league that counts for us is the one that contains Killie, Ross County and St Mirren. These are the teams we have to take points from. These are teams that are also getting beat regularly by teams in the top half of the table. It's still a long way to go and the worst that's likely to happen is the play offs.

• Like 3

Fix the defence first and formost.Full backs first priority should be stopping crosses and not to charge upfield .The central defenders are all over place but the positioning of the full backs is contributing to that.We are shipping goals at an unbelievable rate just now and we need to start defending properly before we'll pick up another point this season.Inexperienced management team or not , we are failing in the complete basics of organising the team at the moment.It's sad to say but our style of football , at the moment , is completely failing us.We seem to be an out and out attacking side that can't muster a shot on target or defend a cross.

The management team need to step it up here as much as the players.

Seriously fed up with this forum. Team's struggling and all anyone wants to do is write them off. We won't finish bottom and we're probably in a three or four team battle against the play off spot. Ross County and Kilmarnock are hardly making up ground. Confidence is massive in football and I reckon our team is capable of getting that back, but it'll be much harder if the fans start turning against them. We've had 14 great months followed by a bad one.

By all means tell me I don't have read it. I probably won't be and I hope more than anything that our players don't.

In 2 months (22nd September till 23rd November) we have won 1 drew 1 lost 6 Goals for 6 Goals against 20 plus put out a cup

It is not as if Dundee United are anything new to us. We have played them twice already this season in the run up to this game, and we learned nothing from the League Cup game. I'm not saying Archie is at total fault for these results, not one bit. But I do need to question his ability to turn things around at this stage. Last season, when we were winning week in week out, I am pretty sure it was easy to motivate your players. But now, we just seem not to be learning any of our lessons.

Lesson number 1: Don't give away an early goal, as Archie has harped on and on about the first goal being crucial. What do we do today? Within 2mins we have given one away.

Time for our team to stand up and be counted!

In 2 months (22nd September till 23rd November) we have won 1 drew 1 lost 6 Goals for 6 Goals against 20 plus put out a cup

Yep. That's correct (though I could argue that it's not "plus out of a cup", since you've included that in the defeats). And between 22 September and 23 October we won one, drew one and lost one (very unfortunately) in the league, and went out of the cup. Three of these four games were away from home. I'd say that's okay for a team just promoted.

So I would maintain, we've had a bad month. If you want to twist statistics to extend our bad run and undermine the team's previous achievements then you go for it.

• Like 1

the team's previous achievements

That's the thing Joe, we used to be great, and it was great. But that was then, and this is now. And right now we're honking, we're hurting, and it's all a bit torturous, especially as it doesn't look like it might get better any time soon. We can't even do a St Mirren and pack the defence, play awful football, but not leak goals, as our defence doesn't seem capable of even that ...

Losing eleven goals in the last three games and pretty much being humiliated in the last two is a kick in the baws for everyone, and floating about telling us how good we were a year ago is only going to piss people off tonight.

Yep. That's correct (though I could argue that it's not "plus out of a cup", since you've included that in the defeats). And between 22 September and 23 October we won one, drew one and lost one (very unfortunately) in the league, and went out of the cup. Three of these four games were away from home. I'd say that's okay for a team just promoted.

So I would maintain, we've had a bad month. If you want to twist statistics to extend our bad run and undermine the team's previous achievements then you go for it.

The obvious stat is that we are leaking goals.

And no twisting of stats changes that fact.

Just can't understand why Soutar didn't get sent back home for appearing at a professional football match with a haircut that looked as if his mates must have done it when he was pi$hed!!! :sarcastic: Seriously does he not have a mirror?

Knob!

(Shhhh, I'm distracting myself from the score).

Archie doesn't have the balls to shake it up and change it. Which is ultimately going to cost him his job if it keeps going the way it is. I often wonder if it's old pals act from his playing days

That is extremely harsh, In fact a ridiculous comment. I dont think loyalty has anything to do with our predicament. It's the fact we have no money to sign good players to replace the ones not good enough!

I agree though that he doesn't seem to be able to change it. Very much the whyte and Britton arms folded " we won't change it as it'll work" tactics. I love Archie but I think he's been Sussed as has been said and doesn't have the savy to change it. We looked doomed.

• Like 1

• Members

There is no way that boy Gauld is Scottish. The movement from there front players as well was fantastic. Reminiscent of our performance last season against Airdrie. Would have liked to have seen our defensive midfielders take some of the pressure off the defence by pressing their midfield a bit more. They had way too much space and time in the middle of the park and made it pay for them. Hope we can learn from it. Thought Bannigan's red was a bit harsh. I feel if he'd acknowledged the foul with the ref instead of just running away he might have got away with a yellow. Collum is still the worse ref in Scotland.

That is extremely harsh, In fact a ridiculous comment. I dont think loyalty has anything to do with our predicament. It's the fact we have no money to sign good players to replace the ones not good enough!

I agree though that he doesn't seem to be able to change it. Very much the whyte and Britton arms folded " we won't change it as it'll work" tactics. I love Archie but I think he's been Sussed as has been said and doesn't have the savy to change it. We looked doomed.

You actually managed to slate my comment then actually agree with it thanks mate

I would love nothing more than Archie to be able to take control and sort this mess out but the players look totally demoralised disinterested and so negged out it's unreal, I wish I could be more positive but I try to say it how I see it unfortunately this doesn't always go down well

• Like 1