Jags V St Johnstone

The Cup

Got a good feeling about Saturday: we ARE going to win at home this season, of course, and Saturday has all the ingredients (without going into detail about that) to indicate that it's going to be the case this side of 2014.

Self-belief is critical, and I think the display at Easter Rd will have given the players that wee shot in the arm needed to prevail against the blue Saints. Piccolo coming onto a game couldn't have come at a better time: we've been screaming out for a reason for Aero & Conrad to be put under pressure, selection-wise, and now we have it. As much as the goal semi-famine has been an issue, our porous defence has been of equal concern. A confident Piccolo might just be the fulcrum for an improved defensive display which results in the midfield being able to focus on their creative attributes rather than defensive responsibilities.

Jags 3 - St J 1.

• Like 1

What about Baird in there instead of Lawless? I think it's worth a shot. He seems to put defenders under more pressure than Stevie does, and this might get a break of the ball for Doolan.

I've thought myself that Baird could play this role. He's got lots of energy and could chase back well enough in midfield when required. With preparation on the training ground we could maybe even have a situation where Dools and Baird swap roles occasionally to confuse the opposition.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Forbes is comfortably our most creative player and really ought to be further ahead in the pecking order than he has been this season. I can only think of two clear cut chances that we’ve made in the last two games and both, albeit ending poorly, came from him. In line with creating actual chances, he’s a far superior player than the likes of Craigen or Lawless or Elliott who have been playing ahead of him.

I think Welsh should come into the team if available, but he has indeed had a poor start to the season and needs to improve. He was giving the ball away time and time again in games before his injury, most notably for the winning goal in the Celtic match. If he comes good tough then he's exactly the player we could be doing with.

Edited by Noel Edmonds

Out with the Hearts game this is our best chance to get the home win.

If we can defend set pieces properly and get good service to Doolan I'm sure we will win.

I would stick with the same that was robbed by Beaton last week. If Higgy doesn't make then I'd bring in Forbes.

We need Bannigan back in the defensive midfield role. Our ball retention was poor against Hibs and Stuart back in the team will help this considerably. If Welsh is fit to play then I think he will take a place on the bench. With all the game time he has missed he is not going to be 100% fit.

Big game 3 points would be massive for us.

Fox

McMillan Muirhead Picoco Taylor-Sinclair

Osbourne Bannigan

Elliott Forbes Higginbotham

Doolan

Edited by Alan Murray

Sean Welsh might have played well in the first few games but his incredible lack of fitness means he will never gain the consistency required to succeed at this level.

Everytime our club captain falls over, I can't be the only one who can see the words "Out for six weeks".

• Members

I'm sure I read earlier in the season that Sean has a blood disorder that means any knocks he gets takes a while to mend. I don't think fitness is an issue with him. Remember also, we went a whole calendar year when he started, we didn't lose a game. Hopefully we can find a solution to his illness and keep him match fit for the rest of the season.

I'm really looking forward to this game and also getting 2 others along to increase the numbers. Using the "Christmas excuse" works for them as they like me are grinch's and will do anything to avoid shopping, "festivities" and spending needless money that you can't afford on something that you or others don't want. Maybe I can convince them to get a 5 game or half season ticket.....?

Welsh and SOD still out. Seriously if Welsh can't recover from knocks then you have to question having someone on a wage who can only play half the time. He may be fit but his condition means he is out more than most. He is a good player but we can't afford to have people out so regular.

Fox

McMillan - Muirhead - Gabby - ATS

Osbourne - Bannigan

Elliot - Forbes - Higginbottom

Doolan

Fox

McMillan - Muirhead - Gabby - ATS

Osbourne - Bannigan

Elliot - Forbes - Higginbottom

Doolan

Swap Forbes for Lawless and that's my team.

I'd expect Bannigan to have a good game tomorrow. He'll be in his rightful position alongside Osbourne rather than further forward where he's been ineffective this season. Add in the fact that he had a rest last week and he should be itching to go. Think he'll do very well.