Archie Must Go ?

javeajag

Different team, different club in the play off final (if indeed it comes to that) and more importantly will be a different referee! You can't be serious saying because the club lost the play offs in 96 means this side doesn't have the bottle to see the job through via the play off!!

While most of your points are spot on, I believe that most people are concerned (rightly in my view) about losing 4-3 today from a winning position with only 5 minutes to go.

Of course....we are all concerned. Immediately stating that it is 100% the managers fault, and that sticking by Archie will result in us being relegated, and that the only way to stay up is to bring in jimmy calderwood is crazy though. As I said the majority of the team are just as inexperienced as Archie at this level, so maybe we should realise that, even though they are excellent players, they aren't streetwise enough for us to expect them to win just because we were in the lead at one point, especially against a decent and experienced Motherwell side who were always going to throw everything at us for the final 5 minutes.

Trotters post is lopsided. On the one hand it suggests that the players are good enough for the premiership and will leave if we go down. But on the other hand he is complaining that those same players are not learning and keep making basic mistakes

He's right on all counts. That's the way it works in football.

Different team, different club in the play off final (if indeed it comes to that) and more importantly will be a different referee! You can't be serious saying because the club lost the play offs in 96 means this side doesn't have the bottle to see the job through via the play off!!

Christ Almighty you are hard work - you stated that there is no basis that we cannot beat a Championship team in a play-off, and I proved to you that the one an only time we faced a play-off in the top tier for our status we failed. So, we do not have a record of surviving play-offs in the top tier.

I do not dispute that it is plainly obvious that the current side has not faced a play-off.

The point is, why on earth do we look as though we are resigned to settling for a play-off??

Of course....we are all concerned. Immediately stating that it is 100% the managers fault, and that sticking by Archie will result in us being relegated, and that the only way to stay up is to bring in jimmy calderwood is crazy though. As I said the majority of the team are just as inexperienced as Archie at this level, so maybe we should realise that, even though they are excellent players, they aren't streetwise enough for us to expect them to win just because we were in the lead at one point, especially against a decent and experienced Motherwell side who were always going to throw everything at us for the final 5 minutes.

At the risk of having picked you up wrongly, I did not mention Jimmy Calderwood in any of my posts, and nor do I want him anywhere near Firhill.

Christ Almighty you are hard work - you stated that there is no basis that we cannot beat a Championship team in a play-off, and I proved to you that the one an only time we faced a play-off in the top tier for our status we failed. So, we do not have a record of surviving play-offs in the top tier.

I do not dispute that it is plainly obvious that the current side has not faced a play-off.

The point is, why on earth do we look as though we are resigned to settling for a play-off??

When did we look as if we have settled for the play offs? We are on the same points as RC and 2 behind StM who are in a worse run of form than us, what part of that indicates settling for play offs? I despair with the twats that claim to support my team.

Dear God,read my posts then comment. I said I fancy us to beat any team in the current Championship in a 2 legged game. That is totally different to going back to 96 and saying we got beat there so we don't have a track record in winning these games. Are you trying to tell me your point is we got beat in the 96 play off, so the odds are against us winning another similar play off 18 years later??Think its you that's the hard work!!

At the risk of having picked you up wrongly, I did not mention Jimmy Calderwood in any of my posts, and nor do I want him anywhere near Firhill.

Nah I didn't mean you, a guy a good few posts ago on this thread suggested a sure fire way to stay up would be to appoint calderwood. Your posts were not really what I was arguing with as they're, whilst still showing valid concern, not blindly calling for Archie to be sacked with no viable alternative.

Trotters post is lopsided. On the one hand it suggests that the players are good enough for the premiership and will leave if we go down. But on the other hand he is complaining that those same players are not learning and keep making basic mistakes

Not at all lopsided.

I was referring to mediocrity & like most relegated teams the vultures will swoop and pick from the carcass.

For what it's worth however, the majority of these players should be good enough for the Premiership. The majority of the young lads in our team have had a good few seasons football behind them though many are naive with some of their decision making. That's where the coaching comes in for me.

So either the players aren't learning or the coaching not good enough.

Which do you think it is that's seen us drop 11 points in the final 5 minutes of games this season?

• Like 1

there is no basis to your belief that we don't have the bottle to beat a championship team.

Well we have played two dreadful-standard lower league teams just this season and didn't fare particularly well in either game. Whilst our squad is significantly superior to anything in the Championship, any evidence of us playing against ultra defensive teams (as would undoubtedly be the case in the play-offs) shows that we are likely to struggle. The way things are going I think we just need to sit tight and hope some dross side like Queen of the South makes the play-off final.

oh Dear! Whilst I am pissed off as any other Jags fan, and doubts increase , the negativity pouring out here is way off the scale. We lost to a team that have won all of their games against bottom six. Regards the substitutions, Higginbotham said on the radio that he was knackered and that Erskine was hobbling and injured. Maybe a wee explanation to the substitutions. Our fate will be sealed in what is going to be an exciting, nerve wracking and nail biting round robin after the split. i feel confident that we have enough to see off anyone in a playoff.

It's not panicking to look at one win in 17 games, current form which is the worst in the league and the repreaging of the same mistakes to think we are not doing very well.....if hearts had not been deducted points we would be bottom of the league.....to Gary lockers credit he has improved his team as the season has gone on .......we are stuck in Groundhog Day

Turning all that into success baffles me

It's not panicking to look at one win in 17 games, current form which is the worst in the league and the repreaging of the same mistakes to think we are not doing very well.....if hearts had not been deducted points we would be bottom of the league.....to Gary lockers credit he has improved his team as the season has gone on .......we are stuck in Groundhog Day

Archibald has a similar win record to Dick Campbell who was rightly hounded out even a after winning promotion.

AA also has set infamous records like no home wins this season.

It's only turned into success now because Archibald has played a lot of games for the club. If some idiot like Campbell was in charge and we were in the exactly the same position this entire forum would want him out. Even the non-attending happy clappers.

• Like 1

Archibald has a similar win record to Dick Campbell who was rightly hounded out even a after winning promotion.

AA also has set infamous records like no home wins this season.

It's only turned into success now because Archibald has played a lot of games for the club. If some idiot like Campbell was in charge and we were in the exactly the same position this entire forum would want him out. Even the non-attending happy clappers.

Very valid point imo even if we are playing at a level above.

& the irony is Gary Locke & Billy Brown will both be history as soon as the takeover by Foundation of Hearts is complete.

While most of your points are spot on, I believe that most people are concerned (rightly in my view) about losing 4-3 today from a winning position with only 5 minutes to go.

I've just picked out this one (but there are others) to show my point but some of you who weren't at the game should at least look at the match reports before you jump in with criticism.

Higgy scored our third on 72 minutes. That was 22 minutes to go. Motherwell threw everything at us in those final minutes and with them being a much stronger and better team, defeat was as inevitable as it was painfull!

Thought long and hard about whether to respond to this thread. Okay, I get we're all disappointed we're not in the top six and that the manager couldn't bring on Messi or someone to replace Higginbotham, but for God's sake, get a grip! Anyone who thinks that bringing in another manager would get this group of players further up the league doesn't know much about football. It turns my stomach that there's folk on here who have a go at Archibald on the basis of the results this season. Thank God none of you lot will ever get anywhere near the management of a Thistle team!

Are you seriously trying to say that a new manager has never came in and changed the fortunes of a struggling team! Are you new to football?

I'd also add this into consideration.

Archie's tactics.

After the DU game, a lot of folk were coming on here praising him for his subs & at last changing his tactics & going with 2 up.

The Monday after, Lyle Taylor is quoted in the Evening Times about how much he's enjoyed getting help up top, playing with Dools pleading with Archie to give him & Dools a run together up top.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/partick-thistle/lyle-team-me-up-with-dools-and-you-have-the-tools-to-beat-play-offs-150623n.23331944

Does that sound like a player who's feeling valued in the system he's playing in?

Then the next day, Archibald is quoted in the same paper as saying it's something he will look at it when the right game arises.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/partick-thistle/archibald-set-to-fly-with-dynamic-duo-so-thistle-can-be-upwardly-150749n.23344001

Now I'm not saying yesterday was that game but does anyone honestly see Archie going 2 up at the start of any game this season?

It's the same tactics with the same subs almost every week from game 1. The 3 front players for 3 subs barring injuries or red cads. He's not changing anything.

& then there's the goals we're conceding in the last 5 minutes...

How came very other team hold on to a lead or look dangerous in the last 5/10 mins vs us but when we're a goal behind in the last 10mins we go out with a whimper?

We are going back the way I'm afraid & changes need to be made in the coaching team come the end of the season whatever happens.

It is the Campbell thing. Just because he got us up, does it mean he's good enough?

Edited by Trotter

Higgy scored our third on 72 minutes. That was 22 minutes to go. Motherwell threw everything at us in those final minutes and with them being a much stronger and better team, defeat was as inevitable as it was painfull!

Why was it inevitable?

Morton going to Parkhead earlier on the season....

Celtic against Barcelona...

Albion Rovers vs Motherwell....

Ross County vs us?

Killie vs us?

Hearts vs us?

Albeit the last 3 examples were draws not defeats but the point stands. Are they stronger & better so we just should accept our fate?

Nonsense.

it wasn't inevitable. But it doesn't make us the worst team in the world, which you would think we are by the rending of garments and gnashing of teeth which fills this miserable forum.

And the point is that posters on here are twisting the facts to suit their tiresome and repetitive "Archie Out" invective which is becoming like a hammer constantly banging on the wall, over and over and over and over.

Thistle scored with 22 minutes to go. Not this '5 minutes' rubbish.

Anyone who was there yesterday could see how much effort our players put in to trying to keep the ball, how knackered they got, and how much pressure Motherwell put on us.

Seriously, this forum is the worst thing about being a Thistle fan.

• Like 2