Perspective

Norgethistle

I did ....

Killie have a first team squad if 40?! No......what are the first team squads exactly of the others ? 23 is pretty good

You admit you have no idea what our wages are just that someone posted £500 a week.... That's not a fact!

What are the goalkeeping/fitness coaching arrangements of other clubs! Do you know?

Which other teams don't have a scout ? Do you know?

Have excluded loan players from all other teams then, I assume loan players don't play?! Ridiculous

Any more facts?!

Erskine has just come in on monday and Mair only arrived on friday and they have already made a big difference I felt, give them a few games and we will really see their impact

Have a look at the last 5 games and get back to me!!!!

If only the last 5 games is the yardstick, then you are correct.

Since we beat them in September?

Since they beat us at Firhill?

Since the beginning of December?

Since Lee Mair signed for us last Friday?

I'm sure you can agree that the trend is in St. Mirren's favour. That's my point.

We're a Championship club with a Championship infrasctructure playing in the Premiership. That isn't a critcism of anyone just an acknowledgement of the situation that we are in.

You don't suddently become an established Premiership club at the flick of a switch. It takes time to build and that invariably means a few struggles along the way, both on and off the pitch.

Our current run is hugely frustrating especially as I think most of us realise that this isn't a poor Partick Thistle team by any means; we should be picking up more points.

The Club as a whole is progressing. Perhaps that progress is slower than some would like but it's progressing all the same. We're doing that with a young team that despite all the recent frustrations plays football in an entertaining fashion. I for one am enjoying the majority of the football we've played this season (the first 35 minutes on Tuesday not included). We have a young manager who posssess precisely the kind of character that I want to see lead the football side of things.

We should accept that there are limitations to our squad but acknowledge that 11th place in Scotland's top league isn't a representation of bad times for Partick Thistle. Stay up this season and the progress to becoming an established top flight team, with the infrastructure that comes with that, will continue. It might be a bit of a scrap doing that but I'm confident we will.

Edited by Tom Hosie
  • Like 9

I did ....

Killie have a first team squad if 40?! No......what are the first team squads exactly of the others ? 23 is pretty good

Kilmarnock have 49 players listed including those eligible to play U20 and 6 coaches (Plus manager & Assistant)

Hearts have 25 1st team listed plus 8 U20 and have 2 coaches plus a director of football (Plus Manager)

You admit you have no idea what our wages are just that someone posted £500 a week.... That's not a fact!

Based on Maxi's figures the other year and snippets of what we have heard its not far off

What are the goalkeeping/fitness coaching arrangements of other clubs! Do you know?

Killie - Full time, Hearts - Full Time (Plus a striker coach)

Which other teams don't have a scout ? Do you know?

The only other team I know that have no scout is Rangers, I know St Mirren, Killie both have more than one they can call on

Have excluded loan players from all other teams then, I assume loan players don't play?! Ridiculous

2 of the loan players have only been here for 1 week

Any more facts?!

You really don't like Archie do you

you are being bizarre....

ok by that definition we have 46 players and coaches vs Killies 49 whats your point?

Hearts 25 vs our older more experienced 23....your point?

You still don't know our wages so admit it.....the figure of £500 was first post here over 3 years ago

Our goalkeeping coach is full time, he happens also to be player

we have scouts we can call on, all teams do thats how it works they are just not on the payroll

The fact that they are loan players I don't understand or have been here a week... they play!

so some facts, some assertions, not comparing apples with apples and lots you don't know

I like Archie as it happens and want him to succeed but i also watch us ( jesus tuesday !) and we are in trouble and he needs help

there is no value in trying to always defend the manager at all costs no matter what and making excuses for everything

the fact is we are competitive with these other teams we are just not winning and the manager has to take some responsibility for that?

in most clubs no home win going into Feburary is not viewed as success

• Like 1

So what do you believe our players are on?

I'm just saying that is our assumed wage.

You probably aren't far off for our squad average I would say.

I think they may be on slightly higher basic salary. I'm not sure if we have changed the bonus system this year either.

I heard from a source that one of our players is on £800 a week plus they received a decent signing bonus but it is unlikely they are all on that level of pay, imo.

So what do you believe our players are on?

Exactly you have no idea so stop quoting as facts things that clearly are not

It is highly probable we have players on more than £500 per week and given all the other payments I am not dure anyone knows how our wages compare to others

• Like 1

OP makes many good points.

Forums tend to be a mix of extreme opinions. The truth must lie somewhere in the middle. Archie isn't the only manager in the country who wants to play football the right way. That is something we as a club can insist upon from prospective managers. Same way Swansea went Martinez - Sousa - Rodgers - Laudrup but played the same style of football, when Laudrup goes Swansea aren't going to become 'hammer throwers' because as a club they will choose not to. Our board decides who the next manager is and can choose one with a track record of attractive football or who has a vision of attractive football in the future.

It is possible to 'love Archie' but not think he is a particularly good manager. Jury is still out for me.

I would be extremely surprised if our player budget isn't considerably lower than 10 other clubs in the league. I happen to know roughly how low a wage a couple of our players were on last season and the relative hardships they and their families were put thru. Beattie said the player budget would double this season, an arbitrary number no doubt but probably not far off the truth. If that's the case then I feel it's safe to assume we're paying a relatively small wage.

If you want to think we're under-performing as our wage structure is on par with the clubs around us feel free. Make your point but for the sake of sanity just do it the once.

Read my post again - it says ON RECENT FORM.

Now go check the recent form of both sides, both home and away.

If only the last 5 games is the yardstick, then you are correct.

Since we beat them in September?

Since they beat us at Firhill?

Since the beginning of December?

Since Lee Mair signed for us last Friday?

I'm sure you can agree that the trend is in St. Mirren's favour. That's my point.

Think the above says it all in fact you even put it in CAPITALS!!..5 games to me is a fair reflection of current form!! Next!

Edited by Lindau

The problem with supporters forums is that folk like the cup and thistlenowthistleforever post on them. Thankfully there are other reasonably minded people out there who support the team.

^^^

Doesn't know what the word forum means.

The problem with football forums, like this one, is that there are a lot of people that have strong opinions on the team when they don't even go to the games,

The Daily Record match report doesn't give an accurate reflection guys.

Just throwing this one out there but if the manager was anyone else other than Alan Archiebald would we have given him this length of time with the current record we have. There would have been lots and lots of people on here and in the present board calling for his head. Before anyone starts to have a go I am just asking the question ?????

Just throwing this one out there but if the manager was anyone else other than Alan Archiebald would we have given him this length of time with the current record we have. There would have been lots and lots of people on here and in the present board calling for his head. Before anyone starts to have a go I am just asking the question ?????

Reckon this is a fair question.

For me, I'd say yes. We gave the last manager longer, and saw a marked improvement after a year or so, and he struggled at a lower level over that first year. We have a young manager learning his trade in a very tough environment, so I'm willing to give him the chance and gamble that we'll end up with a very good manager who has a good degree of loyalty to the club.

I know some will call it blind optimism, but I'm allowed this - the thought of being another 5/6 years down the line, established in the top flight (argue away), with a strong youth academy starting to provide one or two prospects, and the manager instilling his style of play from bottom to top of the setup - that's what I see as the future of the club and I like it.

I don't doubt that Archie gets a little more support due to his connection with the club, but is it only from the fans, or from the board too?

Assuming that we were playing the same brand of football, for me it's a definite yes. My support for Archie is less to do with his legend status and more to do with my enjoyment of our games over the past 12 months. And anyway, his current record is an unexpected promotion and half a season in the top flight where we've actually lost fewer than half our games (unusual for a team in 11th, I suspect).

• Like 4

It's possible to have had the exact the same results and points total under a different manager and believe that he is the wrong man for the job. My support of Archie, like the post above, has little to do with his status at the Club but because I think he is the right man for the job and I like the direction the Club is heading in.

If you have the right man you stick with them during tough times.

• Like 2

Yes, he is trying to play football, he is rellying on youth (That potentially has a re-sale value), and he seems to care deeply about the club, everything I want to see in a manager

• Like 1

Length of time? He hasn't even had the job a year. He finished the job of getting us promoted by improving our away form and picking up a couple of guys from Dunfermline's implosion to help us over the line.

We are not in a fantastic position this season, but despite playing some really nice football, we have had very few lucky breaks. Despite that, there are 3 clubs within 3 points of us.

Archie has signed mainly decent enough players considering the budget that a newly promoted club with our income-generating capacity can expect. Other clubs are clearly able to offer more cash and stability than we can, so in that respect his hands are tied. (It is reported today that we tried to sign Tom Hateley but got knocked back).

We are in a very similar position at this stage of the season to where we were in the seasons under Lambie and he had far more experienced players in the squad when those teams were promoted or subsequently retained their place.

So given that Archie is doing a decent job with what he's got (even if we could be doing better) and has not even had a year in post, I would say that it would be ludicrous to even consider replacing him at this stage.

• Like 1