Club Statement

stuart_adam

If it was Prince who was the victim, what are others thoughts about getting a banner made up to show him our support at the ICT game? "There's only one Pricne Bauben - PTFC Legend" or something along those lines just as an example. Or Apologies if this is something Prince would rather just forget.

I hope they do a spellcheck on that banner TL!!

I'm glad that the club has dealt with this swiftly and decisively. If it is true that the perpetrator was identified directly by the police then it is a good sign. Hopefully they will be as diligent at our next home game.

Perhaps the Celtic game should become an anti-racist, anti-sectarian vehicle supported by relevant organisations. Let's show them all what our club stands for.

• Like 3

Shameful news and us already said well done the club in getting this idiot removed hopefully permanently from Firhill.

Did millions not die to defeat this evil in 1945. Shameful that we still have these clowns in the 21st century.

If it was Prince who was the victim, what are others thoughts about getting a banner made up to show him our support at the ICT game? "There's only one Pricne Bauben - PTFC Legend" or something along those lines just as an example. Or Apologies if this is something Prince would rather just forget.

Or another alternative would be a very large Ghana flag to bring up, which again I would be more than happy to contribute too

If anyone thinks its a good idea I would happily send them a donation for it to be created, unfortunately I cant make the game in Inverness this saturday, so the least I could do is make a donation if anyone thinks this is a good idea or not.

There's been a Ghana flag in the North Stand for the last 2 home games.

Sits proudly beside the catalan and Mexican flags, representing our 3 players who originate from outside the British Isles.

• Like 1

Was it near the side of the City End? I was sitting near the back and saw the cops grab him and lead him away. There was no arguing there and it was the type of proactive zero tolerance policing that should be commended. The guy should get a boot up the arse but it would also be good if he was made to meet and apologise to the player he was abusing. That would surely make him realise how stupid his comments were and maybe turn this into something more positive.

On a side note of this incident there was a comedy sideways scene where a guy who was pissed was raging about everything and nothing and being told to quieten down by his mates then walked down to get involved. I never saw him return either.

Was it near the side of the City End? I was sitting near the back and saw the cops grab him and lead him away. There was no arguing there and it was the type of proactive zero tolerance policing that should be commended. The guy should get a boot up the arse but it would also be good if he was made to meet and apologise to the player he was abusing. That would surely make him realise how stupid his comments were and maybe turn this into something more positive.

On a side note of this incident there was a comedy sideways scene where a guy who was pissed was raging about everything and nothing and being told to quieten down by his mates then walked down to get involved. I never saw him return either.

Prince shouldn't have to be anywhere near this guy.

• Like 1

The club's openness about this, and swiftness of action, is utterly commendable.

We're a pretty enlightened bunch us Jags supporters; I'd happily go out on a limb and say I reckon we have somewhat less than our fair share of idiots in our number compared to other clubs. However, I doubt any of us have ever been under the impression that we're immune to this sort of thing. This guy's an embarrassment to the rest of us, and I hope whatever action is taken against him by the police and the club really makes a difference to how he sees the world...

As for banners, etc., I imagine the player in question wouldn't want that amount of fuss. A big, loud, warm round of applause the next time he runs out in a Thistle shirt seems fitting though...

Yes Allyo, you've made me fell bad now for picking on the poor little racist.

Not directed at you. I'd say feel free to have a go. I agree.

It's just specifically any clamour for "naming and shaming" that I'd object to. A dangerous road to go down and one I hope we avoid on here.

I saw him walking up Firhill Street before the game - he was bouncing off the tenement walls and I was amazed he made it into the ground.

The police obviously had an eye on him as he was huckled within seconds of shouting his two-word abuse. I doubt PB would have heard it out on the park, not that that lessens it in any way.

He was sitting beside the exit nearest the City End.

Edited by Charlie Endell

Not directed at you. I'd say feel free to have a go. I agree.

It's just specifically any clamour for "naming and shaming" that I'd object to. A dangerous road to go down and one I hope we avoid on here.

When I said name and shame them I meant I hope the club name the culprit and ensure that he never enters Firhill again. Can't see that this is any different to the young East Stirling player that was racially abused up at Peterhead. That guy got his day in court and was all over the papers, let's hope this cretin ends up in court as well.

Edited by Lindau

With the benefit of hindsight I can see now that the lynchmob mentality is not the answer here, and have edited my original post accordingly. You often hear of the wrong person being identified in these situations and that is something I definitely wouldn't want to happen.

That being said, if the case is brought to court then the guy's name will be freely available and could easily end up being reported in the press, especially on the back of the club's statement.

• Like 1

This sort thing was rife in society as recently as the 80's- look at Mark Walters - 3 weeks of banana throwing and we've had culprits at Firhill in the past. And the Rangers fan's response was "I'd rather be a darkie than a Tim" .Staggering!

I mentioned the "Paul Wilson- he's jungle fresh" chant before and got lambasted on here. No one, including me, was that bothered at the time.

We have moved on.

I hope this idiot sobers up and publically apologises to the rest of the support, the club and especially the black players in our team. He will know he is wrong and unless he's an utter fud will be very ashamed.

The police and the club have dealt with it correctly.

Edited by thebiglemon

Given the recent negative publicity Peterhead FC have had over the last few weeks, I'm really sad that a Jags fan has resorted to this. It's bad enough racially abusing an opposition player but to do it to one of our own is shameful.

Big well done to the club for dealing with it straight away and releasing a statement.

Regrettably not the first time that racial abuse has been heard at a Jags game from a Jags fan. Game at Livingston a few years ago when Armand One came on to the pitch only for one ar5e in our support to refer to him as a "black f***er". He too was a well known face at games. And the other shameful thing was no-one apart from me said anything to him about it. Everyone else just seemed to look the other way.

Edited by Big Col

Regrettably not the first time that racial abuse has been heard at a Jags game from a Jags fan. Game at Livingston a few years ago when Armand One came on to the pitch only for one ar5e in our support to refer to him as a "black f***er". He too was a well known face at games. And the other shameful thing was no-one apart from me said anything to him about it. Everyone else just seemed to look the other way.

I bet he wouldn't have said that in a face-to-face situation with Armand!

Huckled away by the Police, who we all know have a great track record for tolerance and race relations. A lifetime ban from football - would the punishment fit the crime?

The world would be a better place if nobody really cared about somebody's "race" or "colour." We wouldn't even notice it and would never have to talk about it.

• Like 1