Jimmy Craigen

Lindau

Has copped a lot of flak on here this season from certain people, but he was immense today. He put in some shift. Also having big Conrad back made the world of difference to the defence. It was there for all to see also thought that was McMillans best game since he came from the Pars.

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 1

I think a lot of them will be - craigen muirhead o donnell McMillan banningan etc etc for getting the experience of the spl for a season will now know what to expect as will Archie and as such we can plan even more over the summer. Even if we were to go down they would be taking a massive amount of experience with them added to the first division winners experience we already have - however lets hope we don't need to worry about the latter scenario

Think immense is a bit of a stretch but he should be pleased with himself tonight.

Buaben's best performance for us and Higginbotham the best performer.

All about opinions. He has been out the side for ages and probably has copped more flak than anyone from our league winning side from last season, but came back today and showed what he can do. He was all over the place and as Gerry Collins would say, gave us a right shift. Agree totally with your other observations

I'm sure Craigen will improve further. His attitude and fitness level is superb and I think (struggling to avoid a cliché) James is an intelligent footballer. I believe his best attribute is his ability to be still playing at a high tempo late into a game. The downside of that might be (at the moment) he's not so effective coming off the bench.

He played well. The first 15 minutes he got stuck in which isn't really his thing. Had a geat volley off the crossbar. Then he lost out to a couple of strong challenges and faded out the game. He's definitely better playing where he did today, in the hole behind the striker. However, my main complaint is that he doesn't get beyond the striker, which Doolan needs to free up some space. Happy to say he did it a few times today so overall he did well.

Craigen is the only player in the squad who is a genuine 'attacking midfielder'. His link up play gives us options we don't get when others play that role. On the downside, his technical ability doesn't match his intelligence - he can see the pass and he can get into the position for the shot, but he doesn't quite have the ability to consistently put in the killer pass or score the goal. If he continues to improve- and as a lot of people have observed, he's the most improved player from the start of last season - we'll have a gem of a player on our hands. All credit to him for sticking in after being dropped.

• Like 5

• 10 months later...

Wasn't there today but I wonder how Craigen played.

No question that his absence has coincided with a drop in form, and noticeably a slowing in our style of football. May be coincidental, but I reckon he might be a more important player than he's given credit for.

One thing you can't criticise Craigen for is attitude.

After last week's shambles, and Gary Fraser's display in particular, it's good to see someone who actually cares in the side.

This.

Wasn't at the game today (the team has tended to do better when I am not there this season; worried I am a jinx) but Craigen's work-rate has definitely been missed lately.

Wasn't there today but I wonder how Craigen played.

No question that his absence has coincided with a drop in form, and noticeably a slowing in our style of football. May be coincidental, but I reckon he might be a more important player than he's given credit for.

I thought Craigen had a great game. The pitch at Tannadice is probably as bad as ours and there wasn't a lot of pretty football being played but Craigen never gave the United midfield a minute and was instrumental in a good few of our attacks.

Also, anyone that saw his reaction at the end of the game would have seen how much the victory meant to him. Brilliant.

Edited by Jag

I thought Craigen had a great game. The pitch at Tannadice is probably as bad as ours and there wasn't a lot of pretty football being played but Craigen never gave the United midfield a minute and was instrumental in a good few of our attacks.

Also, anyone that saw his reaction at the end of the game would have seen how much the victory meant to him. Brilliant.

Gingerjag likes this

• Like 1

Craigen's work rate, desire & effort have never been in question for me.

It's his goals record playing in that position.

It's a decision between work rate & goals.

Today it's proved correct, however if Jimmy doesn't start adding more goals to his overall game (& I'm a fan) then there's a difficult decision to be made.

Goals win games after all & in Jimmy's position we need more goals from him.