Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

Basically Archie says he had six targets. He said SPECIFICALLY that Osman and Stevenson were two of those. I assume that's why Osman only got 45 mins v Dumbarton. It was about validating what was already known, rather than a panic signing.

He goes onto say that we are still looking to sign players but it is quality that we are after. He will,not sign anyone unless they are better than what we have. I'll try and find a way of posting the whole thing.

Cheers - good to know, and good to see he's got the courage to hold out for the right players that will improve the squad.

Basically Archie says he had six targets. He said SPECIFICALLY that Osman and Stevenson were two of those. I assume that's why Osman only got 45 mins v Dumbarton. It was about validating what was already known, rather than a panic signing.

He goes onto say that we are still looking to sign players but it is quality that we are after. He will,not sign anyone unless they are better than what we have. I'll try and find a way of posting the whole thing.

That is in agreement with what most 'pant wetters' have been saying in this thread. His numbers are in agreement with what most have been saying as is wanting to only bring in players who will improve on what we have also.

Fingers crossed he has some further targets up his sleeve for the coming weeks. Did he say he missed out on the remaining four or not go into that detail? Hopefully could mean they are still targets and negotiations are on going

• Members

Clearly one of the six would have been Taylor who we lost out on at the last minute. He probably banked on getting him hence why we've not really seen anything on that front. The fact that he's tried Stevenson up there a couple of times to me would indicate that he's hoping that he could stand in for Dools if needed.

Definitely need a left back and I'd imagine one of the 2 Centre backs that trialled tonight will be signed. I don't think we'll sign 2 centre backs even if Gabby is released. If we bring in one of those centre backs, a left back and a more physical forward. I can see us making do with that till Christmas.

Not good enough. Archie should sack off taking his time trying to sign a good player currently with another club (we saw how badly that worked out with Higgy) and instead focus on getting a few random players signed up so that fans who've never seen any of them play before can confidently presume that they've made our squad stronger...

Not good enough. Archie should sack off taking his time trying to sign a good player currently with another club (we saw how badly that worked out with Higgy) and instead focus on getting a few random players signed up so that fans who've never seen any of them play before can confidently presume that they've made our squad stronger...

Who has suggested this to be a good idea exactly? It's these types or posts which are causing a bit of ugliness in this thread. Most of the 'pant wetters' are merely pointing out where we are lacking in the squad and are worried that we have left it late to replace these.

Anyway good news and fingers crossed it progresses well over the coming days.

Who has suggested this to be a good idea exactly? It's these types or posts which are causing a bit of ugliness in this thread. Most of the 'pant wetters' are merely pointing out where we are lacking in the squad and are worried that we have left it late to replace these.

Anyway good news and fingers crossed it progresses well over the coming days.

First, I've never used the phrase 'pant wetters'. Second, those that have concerns about the quality and depth throughout the squad, as is, can count me among their number.

However those that claim every other squad has strengthened due to their signing unknown / aged players (most of which I wouldn't be excited to see at Firhill) and that we were weaker than them all through finishing 10th (despite how close the bottom six teams were last season) and that we're therefore favourites to finish in the bottom two - they need to get a grip.

That is in agreement with what most 'pant wetters' have been saying in this thread. His numbers are in agreement with what most have been saying as is wanting to only bring in players who will improve on what we have also.

Fingers crossed he has some further targets up his sleeve for the coming weeks. Did he say he missed out on the remaining four or not go into that detail? Hopefully could mean they are still targets and negotiations are on going

Fed up with this 'pan wetters' thing. It was a stupid expression to use perhaps but it was in response to a couple of posters suggesting Archie was not up to the job because we hadn't got some required players in more than a month before the window closes. The majority of posters though accept we needed signings with some a bit worried others not really worried.

My own feeling is the manager has decided to take it to the wire because he'd rather try and get better quality than just sign anyone.

BTW when I say 'decided to take it to the wire' I'm sure if he could get his first choices in quickly he would have done so but no doubt agents are holding out for money we can't afford or other clubs have stepped in with better offers (e.g. Taylor). But rather than panic and sign someone just to get them in early he is holding out too to see if we can get someone better.

It show I think he has confidence enough in the squad we have already that he can risk holding out to see if he can find a better player.

Having any youth players knocking on the door of the first team is definitely a positive thing for us.

Seems we're in a bit of a strange position with resources at the moment. We're obviously short of at least a LB and a striker, yet when you look at the team we played last night, it makes you wonder how we will fit our midfield talent in to our formation. Lawless played well, but will he start in front of Stevenson in the middle? Or Craigen? Out wide just doesn't suit Lawless, and I'm not sure Stevenson would be much use there either. Does that mean that we still really need someone who can play wide right and provide a decent amount of defensive cover? Elliot starting? Chance of another Erskine loan? O'Donnell perhaps? (although I'm sure we'd have seen that in pre season had it been a considered option).

Fed up with this 'pan wetters' thing. It was a stupid expression to use perhaps but it was in response to a couple of posters suggesting Archie was not up to the job because we hadn't got some required players in more than a month before the window closes. The majority of posters though accept we needed signings with some a bit worried others not really worried.

My own feeling is the manager has decided to take it to the wire because he'd rather try and get better quality than just sign anyone.

BTW when I say 'decided to take it to the wire' I'm sure if he could get his first choices in quickly he would have done so but no doubt agents are holding out for money we can't afford or other clubs have stepped in with better offers (e.g. Taylor). But rather than panic and sign someone just to get them in early he is holding out too to see if we can get someone better.

It show I think he has confidence enough in the squad we have already that he can risk holding out to see if he can find a better player.

as an alleged 'pant wetter', i think it is only a tiny minority who have suggested archie isn't up to the job. he has done terrifically well. the fact remains, however, that seven days before we begin our league campaign, we were fielding two trialists who, in my opinion, were no better than mair or gabby...a rookie left-back while though full of promise is in danger of being fast-tracked into the first-team before he is ready...and no experienced alternative to dools up front. and that after all the big pre-season talk from scott paterson, david beattie and, indeed, archie about bringing a better class of player to firhill. if i were a genuine pant-wetter i might be moved to suggest that the club took our season ticket money under false pretences...

• Like 2

In terms of players ready to step up i think only Wilson and Duggan . Even then as subs maybe more as season progresses.. I could see the likes of Keenan and McDaid make appearances against the likes of Morton in the cup.

I hadn't seen the youngsters live before. Was impressed by McDaid's pace and confidence and surprised at how big and strong Duggan looked. Not like the usual 5' 6" young forward we usually bring on. Wilson looked comfortable. Not sure about Keenan - looked good in some ways but made mistakes and some poor passing. But that might have been down to tiredness due to playing the previous night and maybe a wee bit of nerves playing in the big team.

In terms of players ready to step up i think only Wilson and Duggan . Even then as subs maybe more as season progresses.. I could see the likes of Keenan and McDaid make appearances against the likes of Morton in the cup.

Must say I was impressed with Keenan at left back and would be comfortable with him in the starting 11, or at least being more involved than just the odd cup game against lower league dross.

I hadn't seen the youngsters live before. Was impressed by McDaid's pace and confidence and surprised at how big and strong Duggan looked. Not like the usual 5' 6" young forward we usually bring on. Wilson looked comfortable. Not sure about Keenan - looked good in some ways but made mistakes and some poor passing. But that might have been down to tiredness due to playing the previous night and maybe a wee bit of nerves playing in the big team.

think you have picked out four stars of the future. it will be very exciting to watch their development. mcdaid is the personification of gallus, wilson reminds me of bannigan at the same stage, duggan has the perfect physique for a striker and keenan's first half against 'sunderland' was full of promise

I see Fleetwood have submitted a bid for Inverness forward Billy McKay. Accepting it would see the Caley Jags without a recognised striker having made one signing this close season.

And we thought we had it bad...

Sad state of affairs that an English "3rd Tier" side is bidding for our Premier players and will probably pay more. Then there's the debate about the standard of play........

if i were a genuine pant-wetter i might be moved to suggest that the club took our season ticket money under false pretences...

On this note, I would suggest that we signed Stevenson in the same vein. I wonder what flannel he was spun when he was signing on the dotted line back in May? His chat about pushing for top 6 now seems laughable although I guess this was based on the 5 or 6 signings propaganda he was fed. 3 months later, we've supplemented his signing with 1 midfielder and promoted a handful of untested reserves.