Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

One thing I thought was interesting was Archie said he'd been after Seaborne since January. Previously said he'd been looking at Osman since March, and tried to sign Stevenson in January.

He's clearly been pretty meticulous about the signings. Sure other managers would have just signed Barr, but he wants the right guys.

Who's this Gordon Duncan guy on Twitter? Going by his tweets it sounds like he has spoken to Archie today about McFadden. Is he a journalist?

Radio Clyde journo.

Said the McFadden thing wasn't happening as he had a couple of options & Archie still looking to bring in a striker. No mention of a left back.

Just out of curiosity, & not dissing Seaborne without seeing him play, but what's the difference between those lauding his signing & saying they don't fancy players that others have signed/available- McPake & McLean included?

McPake played more games for Coventry at a higher level than Seaborne & it also looks likely that somewhere along the line that Brian McLean will sign for Coventry.

Edited by Bleeding Gums Murphy
  • Like 1

You've seen all of Killie, Dundee & Ross County signings already?

You've had a busy weekend.

Yes. Most of us (although I'm beginning to question that) have been watching football for a good few years and as such have seen enough of guys like McPake and McLean to form an opinion.

Em,

Yes. Most of us (although I'm beginning to question that) have been watching football for a good few years and as such have seen enough of guys like McPake and McLean to form an opinion.

Wasn't just referring to them though.

I asked, without having seen Seaborne play, why was he better than the Ross Co, Dundee, St Mirren, Killie defensive signings that they have been saying weren't good enough for us. I said including McLean & McPake.

Fair enough that folk have said that McLean & McPake aren't good enough but they have a quick look at Wiki & form an opinion that Seaborne better than them!

Fickle or what?

Maybe they trust the manager. McLean and McPake aren't better than what we have.

Fair enough but as I said it wasn't just those 2 I mentioned.

Why are you sure Seaborne is better then the unknown signings Ross Co, Killie, Dundee.etc have made?

Plenty fans on here calling others names because they have concerns over the Summer transfer dealings.

They shout down others for suggesting players like the aforementioned McPake & McLean then dismiss others as unknowns & no one they'd be concerned about missing out on.

Why are they convinced, without seeing him play, that a guy who has had 10 clubs in 10 years is the answer?

Like I said, fickle.

Wasn't just referring to them though.

I asked, without having seen Seaborne play, why was he better than the Ross Co, Dundee, St Mirren, Killie defensive signings that they have been saying weren't good enough for us. I said including McLean & McPake.

Fair enough that folk have said that McLean & McPake aren't good enough but they have a quick look at Wiki & form an opinion that Seaborne better than them!

Fickle or what?

I think this is a very valid point and I do have some concerns about Seaborne although overall I am happy with his signing and confident hell do well. I accept that I have no basis for this other than trust in Archie to have gotten it right.

I do believe there is a certain degree of arrogance with people's opinions on others' signings however. Lot of proven Premiership players that have moved around have been classed as not good enough by people, and I would include McPake in that.

• Like 1

I was specifically referring to McPake and McLean.

Who knows if Seaborne will work out or not, I don't think I've seen anyone say he's a brilliant signing. Just that - potentially - he could be what we need. A left-sided centre back from League One. We've also had those providing the shade to his arrival, by showing evidence that some fans of Coventry thought he was slow and prone to the occasional error. If you want to have a go at someone for making judgements too quickly then have a word with the fud who's already called him a carthorse.

Who knows if Seaborne will work out or not, I don't think I've seen anyone say he's a brilliant signing. Just that - potentially - he could be what we need. A left-sided centre back from League One. We've also had those providing the shade to his arrival, by showing evidence that some fans of Coventry thought he was slow and prone to the occasional error. If you want to have a go at someone for making judgements too quickly then have a word with the fud who's already called him a carthorse.

Sorry I wasn't having a go at you personally and I agree with everything you say there, particularly regarding the eejit who called him a carthorse.

I think most people have been fair in their assessment of this signing with most confident and trusting in Archie whilst also doing a bit of research on what other team's fans think. No one is in a position to really judge our signings until the season is underway and we see them all in competitive action.

Something worth noting when you get English-Scottish transfers is that is quite often shows no logic. Apparent dross from down South frequently enjoys great success up here whilst some of our more hyped exports falter in England when others who are less hyped make very good careers for themselves.

At least you read my question properly this time!

& no need to go tit-for-tat so to speak.

It was a general question to those folk who have lauded Seaborne as the answer having read his wiki stats?

IMO he's no better than the signings that Ross Co, Killie, Dundee have made- at the moment- until we see him/them play.

Even then, specifically on McPake for those who said "no good", why is he not good enough? To say you've seen him play (Armand2 comment) is not really an answer considering we've not come up against him since his Livi days!

At least you read my question properly this time!

& no need to go tit-for-tat so to speak.

It was a general question to those folk who have lauded Seaborne as the answer having read his wiki stats?

IMO he's no better than the signings that Ross Co, Killie, Dundee have made- at the moment- until we see him/them play.

Even then, specifically on McPake for those who said "no good", why is he not good enough? To say you've seen him play (Armand2 comment) is not really an answer considering we've not come up against him since his Livi days!

McPake is a poor defender, this is common knowledge.

People are positive about Seabourne signing because, well he's signed for us. That's what fans do, look to the positivity, welcome him to the club.

Are you new to following football?

McPake is a poor defender, this is common knowledge.

People are positive about Seabourne signing because, well he's signed for us. That's what fans do, look to the positivity, welcome him to the club.

Are you new to following football?

It's all about opinions, and without wanting to create a Seaborne v McPake argument, I think a fit McPake is a very good defender at this level.

Edited by Derby Jag

I think a fit McPake is a very good defender at this level.

McPake was an absolute disaster on his return to Scotland. When fit.

He captained Hibs to some of the most disastrous results in their history and was no stranger to a ridiculous challenge, often resulting in a goal for the opposition or a card for him, be that yellow or, on more than one occasion, red.

It was his lunge on the edge of the box on Saturday that led to Kilmarnock's equaliser.

Edited by Dark Passenger

Maybe but he was part of a Hibs team that were the real disaster. There's no doubt that the long term poor management of that club had an effect on its players. It's very possible that some of the players who looked terrible as part of that team could very well get some form back in another team with a more positive outlook.

I'd reckon (and hope) we've signed the best defender we could get within our budget - and our contacts allowed us to source. Also a player may be what one team needs but not what another team needs so slagging off other teams' signings is pointless. This will still be a tough league for us: I reckon Hamilton are favourites to go straight down with 3-4 other teams fighting out the play off place. We'll need to get off to a flier to avoid being caught in this.

If we do stay up then we'll maybe be seen as a more established top league team and be able to attract more quality players. We'll see.

Edited by Mr Bunny

It's all about opinions, and without wanting to create a Seaborne v McPake argument, I think a fit McPake is a very good defender at this level.

Seaborne is an unknown quantity, and it's only natural to get excited about a signing who on paper looks good and is billed by the manager as being better than what we have. McPake on the other hand is an injury prone calamity of a footballer. This is why people get excited by our signing of seaborne and dismiss mcpake as shite.

I would of wanted McPake but after his display for Dundee, lunging all over the place, I am happy we don't. Clearly one of those who have slowly lost their touch through injury. There's no way he will last a season either which we really can't afford with such a tiny team.

Funnily enough I'm not so bothered about who we sign as I am about Welsh coming back. I really think he's our best player (except Higgy) and a midfield of Welsh Fraser and Osman with Bannigan left back would be extremely strong.

I thought Bannigan wouldn't want to play left back but when you think about it teams are always wanting attacking full backs. This summer has shown quite a few wing backs get big transfers. He would have a better chance of a move in that position and teams find it easier to bed players in at LB. I always thought he was better than ATS when he played there.

Do it for the team Banzo!

I would of wanted McPake but after his display for Dundee, lunging all over the place, I am happy we don't. Clearly one of those who have slowly lost their touch through injury. There's no way he will last a season either which we really can't afford with such a tiny team.

Funnily enough I'm not so bothered about who we sign as I am about Welsh coming back. I really think he's our best player (except Higgy) and a midfield of Welsh Fraser and Osman with Bannigan left back would be extremely strong.

I thought Bannigan wouldn't want to play left back but when you think about it teams are always wanting attacking full backs. This summer has shown quite a few wing backs get big transfers. He would have a better chance of a move in that position and teams find it easier to bed players in at LB. I always thought he was better than ATS when he played there.

Do it for the team Banzo!

Don't worry; Welsh will be back in six weeks. :whistling: