Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

If James McPake isn't very good then why has Paul Hartley signed him?

I'm not saying he is good. I'm just wondering why someone that has been in the game a while and done relatively well in his managerial career so far would buy such an awful player, if he is indeed so bad.

If James McPake isn't very good then why has Paul Hartley signed him?

I'm not saying he is good. I'm just wondering why someone that has been in the game a while and done relatively well in his managerial career so far would buy such an awful player, if he is indeed so bad.

Alex ferguson signed Eric Djemba-Djemba. The argument that because a manager signed someone they can't be shite is utterly ludicrous.

• Like 2

Archibald, indeed, is far from nearing the end of his recruitment drive, insisting that he is prepared to play the waiting game in order to bring the right players north of the border, after bolstering his squad with the addition of Danny Seaborne.

The former Coventry and Southampton defender signed a two-year-deal with Partick two days before their season-opener against Ross County, but Archibald wants to add at least another two new faces before the end of the month, suggesting that another raid on the English lower leagues may be in the offing.

"We definitely need another couple in. We are short in a few areas and it's something we are working on all the time," said Archibald. "We probably need one more for the striker area and at full-back. We are in talks with a number of players.

"You bide your time, you have a list of targets. As a manager, you want to get your business done as early as you can as it gives you the whole summer to work with them. But you also want to wait for that wee bit of quality.

"You know, come the start of the Championship down the road, the English teams have assessed their squads and there are maybe players available."

James McFadden is not on that wanted list despite having trained with the squad, Archibald insisted, but he was more forthcoming when asked about Seaborne's suitability. "He comes with a lot of experience. Dan is a very good player. He is left-sided and he's got a bit of presence about him, something we were keen to get in," said Archibald.

"He can play in either of two positions and we primarily see him as a centre-half but he can play at left-back as well. He gives us a number of options."

Apparently Simon Lappin is a free agent at the moment, ex St Mirren and Norwich LB/LW

Would be ideal for the LB position but i'd imagine his wage demands would be too much for us.

That's a good shout. Although he doesn't seemed to have played much in the last few seasons. Cardiff signed him after having him on loan so he must have impressed them which is a good sign. Agree that his wage demands will be above us but if he is free then maybe he will be willing to negotiate.

Edited to add... also just seen rumours that he is training with Sevco this week!

Edited by mhs

The Sevco supporter I work with told me yesterday that he's on trial with them.

That's a good shout. Although he doesn't seemed to have played much in the last few seasons. Cardiff signed him after having him on loan so he must have impressed them which is a good sign. Agree that his wage demands will be above us but if he is free then maybe he will be willing to negotiate.

Edited to add... also just seen rumours that he is training with Sevco this week!

I'd been told rumours of him training with them were incorrect.

Apparently Simon Lappin is a free agent at the moment, ex St Mirren and Norwich LB/LW

Would be ideal for the LB position but i'd imagine his wage demands would be too much for us.

I think he would be a good signing. Bags of experience but not too old.

I'm sure Archie will have looked at him. Can't see him going to Rangers and having to fight it out with Lee Wallace for a place though.