Could Thistle muster up a 50K bid? If we could, would Lyle be worth it?

Think he is deffo worth it. Still a young guy and he will score goals in our league. Sadly I just don't see us forking out a fee and cover his wages as well. If Und had said take him off our hands for nowt but cover his wages for the rest of his contract, I reckon we might have got him. As I said before I can see him at Tannadice next season

In the current financial climate of Scottish football i.e. skint and considering our normal financial outlook i.e. grim, I can't realistically see us being able to compete for Lyles signature or indeed that of any other player where a transfer fee is involved.

It just got me to thinking how much the econpmics of football have changed over the years, even from the 1970's and the 1980's.

Edited by stillresigned

I reckon Sheffield United are just trying to see if they can get something for him and if not they will want him off the wage bill anyway. If we can't pay a fee for Taylor then it will be highly unlikely that any other team out with Aberdeen and Celtic will be able to either.

I can't see there being much interest in him from clubs down south so I'm optimistic that we'll get him back.

I think 50k is a derisory offer for Lyle Taylor and we'd be laughed at.

He's only got a year left on his contract down there, hasn't done much down in England think they'll be doing well to get 50k for him, think most of the interest will come from Scotland, whether any club in Scotland would be prepared to pay a fee I'm not so sure.

He's only got a year left on his contract down there, hasn't done much down in England think they'll be doing well to get 50k for him, think most of the interest will come from Scotland, whether any club in Scotland would be prepared to pay a fee I'm not so sure.

We turned down £50k for Lawless who was on Scottish Championship wages with a year left on his contract! Cant see Taylor going for less than £100k, I thought they paid £125k for him.

We turned down £50k for Lawless who was on Scottish Championship wages with a year left on his contract! Cant see Taylor going for less than £100k, I thought they paid £125k for him.

How does a transfer fee get treated in club accounts. Does it get written off over the length of the contract or right away. If they paid 125k and it is written off over the 2 years then 62.5k would balance the books for SU

Not disagreeing that's what he's probably worth , but the money seems to be down South and I don't think he's done enough down there for some club to pay 100k , apart from Celtic up here who's going to pay that sort of money in the spfl

I don't think SU will get £100k for Taylor. They don't want him which will reduce his value and the only clubs that can afford a big fee are in England where he hasn't shone.

I think we could stretch to £50k. What did we pay for Fraser?

Staying in the Premiership is worth more than that and Taylor's goal will help.

The stumbling block might be his wages. There's no way we'll give someone £2500 a week.

I never trust soccerbase but their figure is £220K paid to Falkirk. I'm sure that's way to high.

Even if we could get Lyle for £50K I'd imagine we've firstly got to ensure at least a two year contract and secondly wages that are acceptable. In our favour Lyle has only just turned 24. If he'd been in his late 20s I doubt he'd be of interest.

How does a transfer fee get treated in club accounts. Does it get written off over the length of the contract or right away. If they paid 125k and it is written off over the 2 years then 62.5k would balance the books for SU

Your second option. It gets written down over the length of the contract so a one million pound player on a 4 year contract losses 250k in value every year til his contract runs out. This is called amortisation. There's a good website called the Swiss ramble which is written by an accountant with a keen interest in football that explains all this stuff.

Club must have made 40 to 50 k at End of Season Ball, 450 people played Hit or Miss at 20 a go. And the auctions items made thousands , thanks mainly to the Weirs. A transfer fe will not be the problem it will be paying Taylor the equivalent to what he was on at SU. If he gets a big signing on fee from. Jags then his weekly wage won't need to be so high.

AJ

Club must have made 40 to 50 k at End of Season Ball, 450 people played Hit or Miss at 20 a go. And the auctions items made thousands , thanks mainly to the Weirs. A transfer fe will not be the problem it will be paying Taylor the equivalent to what he was on at SU. If he gets a big signing on fee from. Jags then his weekly wage won't need to be so high.

AJ

i had forgotten about the ball aj were the weirs there? Regardless of anyones political opinions we all care about our club and its incredible what that couple have done for partick thistleAny of the players present? Any talk of signings?