How Should We Approach The Game?

cyprusjag

You've answered your own question.

Start with a home win (remember those?).

And we are certainly long overdue one against this particular shower of charlatans.

So Archie to stick the head in Adams at the dug out before the kick-off.

And Dools to lay on the winning goal for Jimmy Craigen after DrossCo have had two red cards.

• Like 1

You've answered your own question.

Start with a home win (remember those?).

And we are certainly long overdue one against this particular shower of charlatans.

So Archie to stick the head in Adams at the dug out before the kick-off.

And Dools to lay on the winning goal for Jimmy Craigen after DrossCo have had two red cards.

I'd take a defeat just to see Archie do that to Adams. Lol.

Getting the first goal against that horrible team is vital. If it's one up front for us , ie Dools, then it's vital to get the midfielders into the box supporting too. Too many crosses pumped into the box last season for an outnumbered forward to be muscled out of it.Need to be smarter in our attacking play this year from the off.

Incidentally, someone mentioned McFadden was still training with us.Is there any reason not to offer him something like a monthly contract so we can even have him sitting on the bench?

Watch the Rangers tactics then do the complete opposite of that :)

Seriously, going with last season and the pressure that built up from not getting that first home win i think Thistle need to go for it in this game, play the football they are capable of, take the chances, keep it tight at the back and get the win.

Simples :thumbsup2:

The Pyramid I thought. WM and WW came later. County's tactics are more akin to artillary fire.

Correct. WM was more like 3-2-2-3. With full backs bombing forward the 4-2-3-1 we play is the closest thing to 2-3-5 in the modern game though in the old days players didn't hurry back to defend as in the modern game.

RC play something more akin to Cattenaccio.

Play our own game. We're a better footballing side than them and we need to just go out and show it. The important bit early on is to win the battle in the midfield. We look quite a bit stronger in the centre than we did at the end of last season, and this is where we need to impose ourselves.

Couple of screamers from the edge of the box in the first half. Then nutmegs and keepie uppie in the corners in the second.

More than anything else we must avoid giving away any soft goals, such as from a set piece to this mob. Over the years, I'm sick to the back teeth of playing County off the park,but losing to one or two silly and/or soft goals.

In addition if we play the way we did up at Dingwall this time last year, I think we'll win comfortably.

Apart from the Sellick, in fact maybe even more so the one team I despise in the top flight is County. I should clarify that, it's nothing to do with the club or their supporters, it's that wee naff Adams, he's a total pr*ck,and to call himself a Christian! FFS, I don't know a manager who appears less gracious or charitable than Adams.

Gallagher

SOD Balatoni Seaborne McMillan

Fraser Osman

Lawless Stevenson Higgy

Doolan

Don't think we have any option but to play McMillan out on the left. Defending high balls is going to be key if we want to win this game. Hopefull Seaborne will be a big help in this - we lost far to many goals from headers last season. Arquin drifted out to our left hand side in out last meeting so having Banzo marking him is not a good idea.

It would be massive if we could get a victory - the lack of a home win clearly played on the minds of the players last year and an early win gets us of to a great start.

Edited by Alan Murray

Gallacher; McMillan, balatoni, seaborne, bannigan; Fraser, osman; Elliott, Stevenson, higgy; doolan. Subs. Fox, muirhead, o'donnell, lawless, Craigen, Mcdaid, duggan.

Play our normal game, only defend competently. We need to make sure we're switched on in defence, hopefully seaborne will help in this regard along with gallacher and McMillan. Osman should also be a huge help to the defence. We need to get the ball wide to higgy or Elliott and run at the defence with the full backs bombing on as we usually do and if we give doolan a chance he usually takes them. Expect lawless to come on for Stevenson and duggan to get the last 20. Possibly Mcdaid for Elliott as well.

• Like 1

How Should We Approach The Game?

midweek game so I'll most likely park the car in Garscube Rd and head up Firhill Rd.

I think if we play with a high tempo we'll be OK. Without ATS and with a right back (if McMillan) that doesn't push forward so much it'll be harder going keeping width up the field. Subs will be important and the likes of Elliott, Lawless & McDaid will be able to keep up the pace. In fact I wouldn't discount Christie starting this game.

Haven't seen any of preseason so I was initially thinking Bannigan and Fraser in the middle but after reading the reports on Osman, it looks as if it will be essential that we play him in order to neutralise Kiss. If he does that effectively, we can expect County to just play hoofball.

Where Archie decides to play Seabourne is interesting. According to what I've read, he's not the quickest so if we start with SOD at RB then I would play Seabourne at CB and Bannigan at LB for balance to SOD's forward runs on either side, but if we go with McMillan at RB then Seabourne could play LB with Muirhead and Balatoni in the middle and we stick with a flat back four with Osman sitting in front and giving Fraser or Bannigan reign to boss the midfield. Lawless has a good record against County but think Archie will favour Elliot. Play our normal game and ensuring we mark Kiss out the game and we should be fine.

millenium falcon will drop me off at pub.

i'll waddle up to ground from there.

as for players, high tempo, keeping it tight, football over hoofball. i like the earlier suggestion of total warfare formation with killer streaks ..... we know higgy can slice and carve his way through a defence with ease, but i may slip him a lightsaber before kickoff to assist him when the county cloggers are at their worst.

Edited by yoda-jag