V Aberdeen, Saturday 30Th September 2014

stillresigned

So we lost to Aberdeen. Big deal, can anyone remember the last time we got anything from Pitodrie , or indead any game against Aberdeen, because I can't. We were never going to get anything from this one. What is more important is to use the 2 weeks off to sort out how we intend to line up for the rest of the season.

One think is clear, Stevenson up front on his own is not working. We need a striker up there, be it Doolan (my choice) or someone else. We also need Stevenson to play in his best possition as an attacking midfielder. I think we have the rest of the midfield sorted, and with 2 weeks off for Conrad and Dan to get their act together. We have options for left back, which I never expected and SOD or McMillan for right back is probably horses for courses.

Are we better or worse than we were at this stage last year ? Probably about the same, but looking around, that is probably better than many others. I would argue that Celtic, St.Johnstone, Motherwell, St. MIrren, Kilmarnock and Ross are probably worse than last season. Hamilton are better than Hearts were and Dundee on a par with Hibs of last season. Inverness and Dundee United are about the same, so only Aberdeen, from what I have seen, have moved on.

Time will tell, but I am not too dispondant. I thought we might have had 7 points by this stage (only a shambolic last 5 mins v Hamilton stopped that). We are through to the next round of whatever the League Cup is now called. A couple of days of transfer window left and 2 weeks to let the squad gel is just what we need. I think we could easily do better than last seasons 10th, and that would keep this supporter happy.

• Like 1

We have got to give the new guys a chance to bed in, one of the major problems of bringing players in so late. A successful season for me will be 10th again but that certainly won't be a shoe in unless Eccleston ( if signed) discovers his shooting boots or Doolan is given a run up front or indeed we give Duggan a chance. The plus factors at the moment is that there are clearly 2 teams that are substantially more worse off than we are at present. One has already sacked their manager and the other ones fans are beginning to get restless about Danny Lennons replacement. We are better than both of them but there is always a chance that bringing in a new manager to both these clubs could spark a revival. The one thing we don't want is to finish 11th (or worse) with the prospect of meeting Sevco (if they survive) or the Jambo's in a play off!

The context herd is that minus sevco, hearts and Hibs this is the easiest top league in history and here we are all gaily accepting 10 tv or worse ....

10th will be a successful season. We have a small budget (undoubtably shown by the struggle we have had getting players in). Also it is a usual occurrence that the 2nd season is usually harder for a promoted team as the other teams know exactly how you play. I will be delighted to still be in the league at the end of the season, but agree that at the moment there is no sign to me that we have kicked on from last season, but then again on the crowds we get, should we be expecting that? (Yes I know about St Johnstone, Inverness, Motherwell etc etc)

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 1

been out at a stag night/day but here for whats its worth is my view on all your posts, F*** off and support some other team if you cant hack that thistle will lose games i am sick of listening to to you moan when you seem to have no realistic view on what thistle are funded and capable of doing, no i am not happy that thistle lost but under stand that that life is like that, anyway lots of love and i am away to my bed :thumbsup: .

I have seen Thistle lose plenty of times.

Clubs like Inverness and St Johnstone are making progress and are no bigger than us. Should I should just accept poor performances and last minute capitulations because that's who we are?

BGM, you are responding to a selectively edited post. The full post was a self confessed rant. An alcohol fuelled, disappointed thistle supporter rant clearly aimed at the 'I pay my money every week and I demand success and I demand to be kept fully informed of all issues by PTFC' brigade.

We are a small club in a city with two other clubs with large support. We are a poor club. We are a yo-yo club. We are not due a trophy for another 7 years. Present those facts to any prospective manager or player and one may begin to understand the problem the club has in attracting top talent to Firhill. It really shouldn't come as a surprise to any Jags fan.

Can't argue with much of your constructive criticism. As for Hamilton, they have hit a purple patch early on which has surprised everybody. Well done them.

I get what you're saying. We are a poor club in terms of the 2 other clubs in the City but also due to mismanagement of finances of certain folk over the years.

In the here & now though, I'm not one who's looking for top 6 or Europe this season (though admittedly it would be nice) & as you say it's another 7 years before we're due the trophy.

What I do want is to see progress & as I said myself, too early to judge the team & the manager this season, but so far what I do see is the same mistakes as last season being made. Why are we not learning? It is a concern.

I hope as a PTFC fan these improve, however...

The guys who went up & probably spent near on £100 all in have more right to comment than me but when you see the stats that we had one shot on target in 90 mins backed up with the stats from the Hamilton & Morton games then that's my worry.

The context herd is that minus sevco, hearts and Hibs this is the easiest top league in history and here we are all gaily accepting 10 tv or worse ....

Hearts last season were limited to playing a young, inexperienced team. They did very well. A woeful Hibs side have been replaced by Hamilton. Time will tell whether they are better than Hibs but they have made a good start. Sevco have never been in the big boys league. Easiest top league in history?

I get what you're saying. We are a poor club in terms of the 2 other clubs in the City but also due to mismanagement of finances of certain folk over the years.

In the here & now though, I'm not one who's looking for top 6 or Europe this season (though admittedly it would be nice) & as you say it's another 7 years before we're due the trophy.

What I do want is to see progress & as I said myself, too early to judge the team & the manager this season, but so far what I do see is the same mistakes as last season being made. Why are we not learning? It is a concern.

I hope as a PTFC fan these improve, however...

The guys who went up & probably spent near on £100 all in have more right to comment than me but when you see the stats that we had one shot on target in 90 mins backed up with the stats from the Hamilton & Morton games then that's my worry.

100%

Interesting to read posts on 'Just In' thread from those who were actually at the game. They have far more realistic expectations than some who didn't travel.

Lindau. You might not like what I post but if you trawl back through you'll see it's reasonably consistent with where we are now. The signings have materialised. Just as a few of us said they would.

I'm not particularly in the know. Certainly no more so than other fans who pick things up. I do know some fans are just making stuff up. When I hear some stuff, I'll post it. It's up to other fans to decide what they take from it. You clearly aren't that interested. That's fine by me.

Edited by La Scimmia Rossa

Take away the win against Ross County, who look to be whipping boys at the moment we have had a poor start to the season.

I'd disagree. All of us would have wanted a win against County, but I reckon a draw was the expectation. Most would have agreed that a point from Dens would have been welcome and I don't think anybody would've expected us to take something from Aberdeen.

The Hamilton game is the only real abberation.

Interesting to read posts on 'Just In' thread from those who were actually at the game. They have far more realistic expectations than some who didn't travel.

It would be far too much of a generalisation to make in saying why that's often the case. I can tho' see how those supporters that do spend hard earned money attending get pissed off reading just where we're going wrong from those that don't attend. Whether it's patronising pish from you know who or desperate wind up attempts by the handful of usual suspects it does get galling week after week.

I would rather read one honest assessment like Tom Hosie's post elsewhere than all that ill informed claptrap. And that's nothing to do with the knicker wetting/happy clapping posturing except when it gets to point scoring by those very posters of claptrap.

Meanwhile I await, with little interest admittedly, forensic analysis from our stay at home BBC Alba aficionados.

• Like 1

Yes easiest top league in history..... Semantics aside we should be competing for top six in this league given the other teams

The concern is we seem to be going backwards from last season

Why let our ambitions stagnate with top six? If Motherwell can do it, why not a European place? Celtic are pish and are currently getting beaten at this very moment in Dens Park library - so let's install Thistle as champions-in-waiting. In fact, we should be able to best their efforts this year, so Champions League qualification should also be a mandatory requirement for us. So, a domestic treble and the semi-finals of the CL will satisfy. And if Strachan doesn't populate his Scotland side with Jags regulars there will be something rotten at Firhill. That way it should be within reason to demand the next World Cup is kept at Firhill to truly honour us.

Lindau. You might not like what I post but if you trawl back through you'll see it's reasonably consistent with where we are now. The signings have materialised. Just as a few of us said they would.

I'm not particularly in the know. Certainly no more so than other fans who pick things up. I do know some fans are just making stuff up. When I hear some stuff, I'll post it. It's up to other fans to decide what they take from it. You clearly aren't that interested. That's fine by me.

I don't give a monkeys (no pun intended) what you post however when you start being condescending to other posters and resort to putting CAPITALS in your posts at certain points as if to emphasise you are right, that gets up my nose. Petty? Yeah probably, but what everyone needs to realise is that we are all supporters and we are all entitled to an opinion and express concern when we think things are maybe not as you hope. If you don't agree with that opinion, fair enough. I regularly sit beside guys at Firhill and I wonder if we are at the same game. I was one of Archie's biggest supporters on here when he was getting pelters from certain quarters, but it won't stop me from having a dig if I feel it's justified. Everyone knows what a difficult job he has got with the limited budget available, jeez Diela is in the papers this morning saying that players in the English Championship were laughing at the wages on offer at Celtic Park, so what chance has Archie got trying to attract guys to Firhill! I believe we will stay up this season, but in saying that, I think the team, at this moment, is looking weaker that last season. That's my opinion at the moment. The prognosis may get better in the next few months....then again, it might get worse!

Edited by Lindau

I don't give a monkeys (no pun intended) what you post however when you start being condescending to other posters and resort to putting CAPITALS in your posts at certain points as if to emphasise you are right, that gets up my nose. Petty? Yeah probably, but what everyone needs to realise is that we are all supporters and we are all entitled to an opinion and express concern when we think things are maybe not as you hope. If you don't agree with that opinion, fair enough. I regularly sit beside guys at Firhill and I wonder if we are at the same game. I was one of Archie's biggest supporters on here when he was getting pelters from certain quarters, but it won't stop me from having a dig if I feel it's justified. Everyone knows what a difficult job he has got with the limited budget available, jeez Diela is in the papers this morning saying that players in the English Championship were laughing at the wages on offer at Celtic Park, so what chance has Archie got trying to attract guys to Firhill! I believe we will stay up this season, but in saying that, I think the team, at this moment, is looking weaker that last season. That's my opinion at the moment. The prognosis may get better in the next few months....then again, it might get worse!

Knicker wetter! Ahem!

Why let our ambitions stagnate with top six? If Motherwell can do it, why not a European place? Celtic are pish and are currently getting beaten at this very moment in Dens Park library - so let's install Thistle as champions-in-waiting. In fact, we should be able to best their efforts this year, so Champions League qualification should also be a mandatory requirement for us. So, a domestic treble and the semi-finals of the CL will satisfy. And if Strachan doesn't populate his Scotland side with Jags regulars there will be something rotten at Firhill. That way it should be within reason to demand the next World Cup is kept at Firhill to truly honour us.

What is this garbage?

Stevenson has said that he thinks we should be targeting a top 6 finish not that long ago.

What are you talking about ? I suppose when hearts Hibs and sevco are back you will behappy with relegation?!

There is no reason with the league this season we should not be in in thd 6/7/8 zone . ... Except apparently is against our self image !