Motherwell On Saturday

1 John Lambie

when asked why he played each and every game as though his life depended upon it, the legendary new york yankees' batter joe dimaggio replied: 'there is always some kid who might be seeing me for the first time; i owe him my best...'

from here on in this season, the thistle players must adopt exactly the same attitude if we are to climb the league table

There;s a quote for the dressing room wall.

Update on Sean, Spoke to Archie at the EEOS meet the manager last night, he is training with the rest of the guys now and will get a outing with the U20s.

Higgy needs an op but it looks like being a short term problem at the moment (couple of weeks)

Lawless picked up a knock, and they are waiting to see how that turns out but may miss some games.

Fraser is a long term thing and he will get another scan soon to confirm all went well, he is a bit down at the moment due to this so he was given a week away with his family.

Seaborne has had about 9 stitches due to the head knock.

that is what i remember from last night on injuries :drink2:

Archie won't change the tactics. He might change the tic-tacs though and go for Wild Cherry.

Of course he won't change the tactics. 4231 is our formation. It has been for 2 managers. It's the formation deployed in our reserves, no?

So why would we change it, when we have folk on the bench itching to prove themselves in the team.

But thankfully you're hear to put a negative spin on him not changing formation.

Of course he won't change the tactics. 4231 is our formation. It has been for 2 managers. It's the formation deployed in our reserves, no?

So why would we change it, when we have folk on the bench itching to prove themselves in the team.

But thankfully you're hear to put a negative spin on him not changing formation.

He may not change the tactics but now he will be forced to change the team.

You never know out squad players may become first team players yet.

I want to see Eccleston on from the start.

Motherwell won't know what to expect from him- element of surprise

And what sort of surprise will that be? A surprise that he's starting but have you seen anything to suggest his play would take Motherwell unaware?

I think McDaid might be risked. As a straight swap for Higgy he'll not offer the same awareness and won't display as good decision making. He will tho' take some marking and he'll still give enough space for other attackers to make use of. No Higgy will possibly put dropping Stevenson on hold.

• Like 1

Why change something that clearly works.... oh wait.

And what sort of surprise will that be? A surprise that he's starting but have you seen anything to suggest his play would take Motherwell unaware?

I think McDaid might be risked. As a straight swap for Higgy he'll not offer the same awareness and won't display as good decision making. He will tho' take some marking and he'll still give enough space for other attackers to make use of. No Higgy will possibly put dropping Stevenson on hold.

Not seen anything but only because he's not had a full 90 min.

Doolan is having a quiet spell and hopefully Eccleston can give us more- pace maybe, we'll have to wait and see but it can't be a great deal worse than Dools or heaven forbid Stevenson up front again.

Would take a draw right now

Not seen anything but only because he's not had a full 90 min.

Doolan is having a quiet spell and hopefully Eccleston can give us more- pace maybe, we'll have to wait and see but it can't be a great deal worse than Dools or heaven forbid Stevenson up front again.

Would take a draw right now

I'm not sure that Eccleston has 90mins in him yet. Admittedly not always a reason as such to keep a player from starting. I would think tho' that Eccleston has to show a good bit of form coming off the bench fully fit or not before he warrants a start.

This is simply a must win game

Not sure we are quite at that stage yet, but anything less than a win in this one will probably make the 25th v St Johnstone at Firhill a must win game.

Hard to see us getting anything at Tannadice, and the game in hand is Celtic at their sqaulid dump.

That means we need four points from Motherwell and Saints at Firhill to break even at eleven points for the first eleven games (ie have then played everyone). I reckon a point a game sees you ok, but it would be worrying to fall behind that so early on.

• Like 1

Not sure we are quite at that stage yet, but anything less than a win in this one will probably make the 25th v St Johnstone at Firhill a must win game.

Hard to see us getting anything at Tannadice, and the game in hand is Celtic at their sqaulid dump.

That means we need four points from Motherwell and Saints at Firhill to break even at eleven points for the first eleven games (ie have then played everyone). I reckon a point a game sees you ok, but it would be worrying to fall behind that so early on.

Agreed but a defeat on Saturday could be a big psychological blow and precipitate further decline

a defeat on Saturday could be a big psychological blow and precipitate further decline

Agree, I'd take a draw provided we keep our shape and don't throw a win away by capitulating late on. If one team goes away with three points I think they'll know they were meeting the other side at just the right time.

There was so little if anything to take as positives from Rugby Pk. Individual efforts were poor and teamwork virtually non existent. Yet Motherwell are in disarray as well so just maybe home advantage could swing it our way. Said with no real confidence.

......................... Gallacher ....................

McMillan .. Balatoni .. Seaborne .. Carroll

............... Osman .... Bannigan ..............

Craigen...... Stevenson.... Elliott

........................ Doolan .........................

The loss of Higgy and Lawless is huge, our two main creative players injured at the same time.

It does mean we need other players to show their worth.

would like to see Gallacher back in goals.