Just In Vs. Aberdeen

Stewarty

Hell, that was a dispiriting display. We just never got going. The sooner we can get Higgy and Fraser into the starting 11 the better. Aside from the displays of Gallacher, Seabourne and Frans there wasn't much in the way of positives. None of our attacking midfielders provided Doolan with much support: Craigen went missing yet again; Lawless was jinxed by the Player of the Month Award; and Elliot, while he put in a shift, failed to make any penetrating runs. Bannigan was also unusually subdued. We did improve slightly with Higgy, Stevenson and Fraser on the park, but even then, until Bannigan contrived to miss an absolute sitter we never looked like scoring.

Gah!

Was Bannigans header not flagged offside - however he should have at least hit the target, as should Craigen in 1st half.

A positive was that the defence did look much more comfortable(including Carroll)and I doubt Aberdeen would have scored if it hadn't been for assistance from Collum twice at the goal.

Look on the bright side....loads of areas to improve ( excluding of course the manager )

I'm not sure what Archie could have done differently. Higgy and Fraser are obviously not ready to play the full 90 minutes, or they would have been in the starting 11. And the substitutions and and change of shape in the second half did lead to us playing a bit better. Genuine question: what would you have done differently?

I wouldn't want Archie sacked and I think he is doing very well with his resources. BUT he does need to mature a bit in his team selections which are predictable and never mixing anything up. How any sane manager could not start Fraser or Higgy is beyond me. It's frustrating because I think with just one or two tactical switches now and again, we could have a few more points and there would be no room to criticise Archie.

Anyway, hopefully today showed him this and I'm sure he will pick right against Hamilton.

Also, Stevenson behind Doolan from the start please - looks like it could really work.

Sorry for stating the obvious but we need an option to Dools,We don't have a physical option up front,could be that this is what AA is/was trying to do with Ryan.We must start our strongest Eleven v Hamilton in the cup,Craigan/Elliott must not play from the start,i would not have Craigan on the bench.At least we looked a bit more effective in the Second-half,Aberdeen got right into our faces,we should have done that to them but we were too light weight,going to need someone up front soon,preferably someone who puts himself about.

Not an enjoyable day out - Aberdeen were dourly efficient and we didn't test their keeper in the 90 minutes.

I was disappointed in the starting lineup with Higgy & Fraser only on the bench which I thought handed Aberdeen the initiative and this continued from the kick-off with Bannigan giving the ball away. I'm a big fan of Banzo but that is the poorest I've seen him play...and a horrible miss too. Craigen & Elliot were squad players in the promotion winning side and I suppose they might have improved to be squad players in the SPPL - they did all right but they are not good enough to be starters. Craigen typically got in to a good position but then sclaffed his shot wide.

The build up to the penalty was a bit bizarre with at least three decisions immediately beforehand going against us and Gallagher clearly distracted by the the non-offside.

Fraser was not great when he came on but the pattern of the game had already been set. We didn't play with any tempo or width - even Higgy couldn't lift things much. I've been very critical of Stevenson but at least he looked interested today.

The very obvious problem is the lack of support for Doolan. I don't see the solution in the current squad and if we don't sort this out at the transfer window we may well get relegated.

We didn't win at home last season until February but I enjoyed the football. Not for the first time this season I have left Firhill feeling that the entertainment on show was not great.

A comfortable victory for Aberdeen. Gallacher saved us from a doing tbh.

We have nothing going forward without Higgy. I look forward to the day Craigen retires from football so he's eventually dropped.

Based on the anonymous performances he turns in week in week out I thought he already had. I've seen worse players but never one so invisible.

I wouldn't want Archie sacked and I think he is doing very well with his resources. BUT he does need to mature a bit in his team selections which are predictable and never mixing anything up. How any sane manager could not start Fraser or Higgy is beyond me.

Maybe as they are not fully fit yet coming back from injury

• Members

I thought Bannigan was reaching back to try and get his head on the ball rather than being able to attack it properly. (Guy in the row in front jumped up so I didn't get a full view). Seemed to me that Bannigan was trying too hard to get through a game without getting booked. The bookings he's had recently definitely affected his game today I'd say.

I don't think I said Archie should be sacked ....in fact I know I didn't .....but for many people here he is above criticism which actually doesnt help him develop as he does need to learn

Personally I don't know why we signed Stevenson and Eccleston(?) ....our middle to front link up play today was very poor and we are powder puff up front...lawless was awful and is not joining up with Doolan at all

Seaborne and Frans have improved the defence but we now need to sort midfield and front

Sure we miss players all teams do but we can't use that as excuse

Hamilton ok let's not mention them ....

I thought Bannigan was reaching back to try and get his head on the ball rather than being able to attack it properly. (Guy in the row in front jumped up so I didn't get a full view). Seemed to me that Bannigan was trying too hard to get through a game without getting booked. The bookings he's had recently definitely affected his game today I'd say.

I think you're right. While I applaud the absence of two-footed challenges we don't want him to curb his competitive instinct too much. Hopefully he'll find the right balance next week.

I don't think I said Archie should be sacked ....in fact I know I didn't .....but for many people here he is above criticism which actually doesnt help him develop as he does need to learn

Personally I don't know why we signed Stevenson and Eccleston(?) ....our middle to front link up play today was very poor and we are powder puff up front...lawless was awful and is not joining up with Doolan at all

Seaborne and Frans have improved the defence but we now need to sort midfield and front

Sure we miss players all teams do but we can't use that as excuse

Hamilton ok let's not mention them ....

There's a lot here I agree with, but I actually think Stevenson done enough today to warrant a return to the starting 11. He put himself about and picked out Bannigan with a peach of a cross.

I think my preferred starting line-up for next week would be:

-----------------------Gal-------------------------

O'Donnell-----Frans-----Seabourne-----McMillan

---------------Osman-----Fraser-------------------

Lawless---------Stevenson---------------Higgy

-------------------Doolan------------------------

This is a bit harsh on Bannigan, but there are only two CM slots and we need Osman to break up play and shield the back four.

Edited by Stewarty
  • Like 1

Can't believe that's the second time Willie Collum has given a match winning penalty for an Osman handball this season. Didn't agree with the first one and not seen the latest one yet, can't believe it.

That aside, disappointing misses today and lack of firepower, didn't think Aberdeen were that great at all today.

Based on the anonymous performances he turns in week in week out I thought he already had. I've seen worse players but never one so invisible.

It's easy to single out an individual I guess he is the only thing holding the Jags back? No contribution what so ever to the team? Get a life, get off the teams backs, they are contracted for now if/ when we can afford better we will progress these guys work there socks off they are limited but that isn't their fault. Higher paid such as Stevenson don't put in anywhere near the effort.

Our build up is fine but far to laborious in and around the box . We're far too obvious with the final movement. The service and support Doolan gets is p1sh. Dools spends most of his time running across the park instead of straight at defenders.

We're still missing the the attacker who can run from a deeper position directly at defenders.It was Taylor , was supposed to be Stevenson but now is no one.

Also Archie should have started at least one of Higgy or GF IMO.

I'd go with stewarty team for next game via Accies. Stevenson played much better and behind Doolan I think and hope is the best position. Great to have Higgy back. Fraser turned the game v St Mirren but could not do much today. A draw would have been a decent result against a professional but dour Aberdeen team.

It's easy to single out an individual I guess he is the only thing holding the Jags back? No contribution what so ever to the team? Get a life, get off the teams backs, they are contracted for now if/ when we can afford better we will progress these guys work there socks off they are limited but that isn't their fault. Higher paid such as Stevenson don't put in anywhere near the effort.

Agreed with your first part - especially as plenty of people have missed sitters this season that James shouldnt be made a scapegoat, I thought in fact you were about to say that we can do without people being made scapegoats but then your second 2 lines clearly spells out you blame Stevenson.

The plus points today was Carroll's performance and the fact that most of our crocked players are on their way back. With the defence looking solid, if we can get our hands on a striker in January, I can't see us being involved at the bottom. Negative point is that Abdul needs to keep his hands down in the box!

Edited by Lindau