Mcnamarra- 22 Months On

thebiglemon

Can't say i've seen anyone moan about him leaving for a bigger Club, or anyone say Archie should be given a job for life.

Who are these people?

Was going to say exactly the same. Comparing us now to when Archie took over we've passed Morton, Hearts, Hibs, St Mirren, Ross County and Motherwell in the league structure. We've only been passed by the freak that is Hamilton, and maybe that's just because they had a network in place for longer term success.

If we'd dropped five places in that time then I could maybe see an argument that it wasn't working out

It's easy to forget McNamara's first thirteen or fourteen months in charge which were absolutely bog ordinary, littered with rare bursts of brilliance and far more regular periods of sheer mediocrity. Folk (especially in the media) were keen to paint him as some kind of miracle worker - fuelled significantly by his expose in the papers about how much our players were purportedly earning - when in reality, his team were on the ropes and struggling to find any form away from home.

As far as his good points go, his final six months saw us play the best football I've witnessed in my time as a Thistle fan; some of the performances were breathtaking and the atmosphere generated in and around the club in pre-season and up until Christmas was really quite special. He had a very decent eye for a player; off the top of my head, only Tommy Stewart and Mark McGuigan never really worked out but both were worth a punt given their initial performances. I think he is a very good coach and along with Sid, indisputably improved a number of our players - Cairney rediscovered his obvious ability after losing his way under McCall; Bannigan became more well-rounded; Balatoni found a composure that he had lacked beforehand; O'Donnell's first and second seasons were incomparable in terms of performance; Paton was transformed into arguably the most dominant midfielder in the division; and Erskine found a level of consistency that had eluded him previously.

His poorer points were well summarised by Blackpool Jags - it's a shame that his post-departure antics destroyed any goodwill towards him.

And despite efforts to suggest otherwise, there was only one man who won us the championship.

PS - Sid is still a guy I have a great fondness for and one who I would always welcome back to Firhill.

Edited by Armand2

McNamara inherited some decent players from McCall, made some good additions and set the template which has served us very well over the last two and a bit seasons. We played some wonderful football during 2012/13, with the team capturing the Spirit of Davie McParland's young side of 1970/71 which is as high a compliment as any Thistle fan who remembers those Glory Days can give.

However, I can't say I ever particularly warmed to McNamara - he never talked of long term plans for Thistle and it was always only a matter of time before he would move on. You can hardly blame him for taking the United job and he seems to be doing well there. However, the ungracious manner of his departure with the compensation squabble left a sour taste.

The subsequent success of Archibald, a true Thistle man, meant that McNamara wasn't really been missed. I'm always pleased to hear when Erskine and to a lesser extent Paton have success at Tannadice but despite setting Thistle on an upward course, I don't really associate McNamara with our club.

• Like 1

McColl arrived at Firhill proclaiming he had a 3 year plan to get us into the premier league, after 5 seasons we were still mid table mediocrity (going nowhere). McNamara changed Thistles fortunes dramatically. I noticed this change when were 2 nil up against Falkirk after 20 minutes in the first game of the championship winning season. Further proof was when we came back to win 5-4 after being 4-3 down with minutes to go against Queens Park. Previously we would of left Hampden without a win. We then dominated the league for a few months after this. I was gutted like most Jags fans when McNamara moved on. But Archie took over and we won the league. However it should be recognised we won the league as a result of our own endeavours combined with the total collapse of Morton’s league form. Since then Archie has done extremely well so far with a very limited budget to contend with.

I understand that McNamara’s behaviour on leaving was not to our liking – but I don’t think we have the full story yet. During his interview when he left Thistle he was very complimentary to Thistle and wished us well. The extreme anti McNamara conduct by some Jags fans I find very boring and repetitive and the McNamara era needs to be put in context and placed firmly into the Thistle history books. Its done and dusted and lets all get on with the business of supporting the weirdest, frustrating, bizarre, ridiculous, unique, hilarious, most magnificent team on the globe.

I understand that McNamara’s behaviour on leaving was not to our liking – but I don’t think we have the full story yet. During his interview when he left Thistle he was very complimentary to Thistle and wished us well. The extreme anti McNamara conduct by some Jags fans I find very boring and repetitive and the McNamara era needs to be put in context and placed firmly into the Thistle history books. Its done and dusted and lets all get on with the business of supporting the weirdest, frustrating, bizarre, ridiculous, unique, hilarious, most magnificent team on the globe. [/color][/size] [/font]

Well said sir.

McColl arrived at Firhill proclaiming he had a 3 year plan to get us into the premier league, after 5 seasons we were still mid table mediocrity (going nowhere). McNamara changed Thistles fortunes dramatically. I noticed this change when were 2 nil up against Falkirk after 20 minutes in the first game of the championship winning season. Further proof was when we came back to win 5-4 after being 4-3 down with minutes to go against Queens Park. Previously we would of left Hampden without a win. We then dominated the league for a few months after this. I was gutted like most Jags fans when McNamara moved on. But Archie took over and we won the league. However it should be recognised we won the league as a result of our own endeavours combined with the total collapse of Morton’s league form. Since then Archie has done extremely well so far with a very limited budget to contend with.

I understand that McNamara’s behaviour on leaving was not to our liking – but I don’t think we have the full story yet. During his interview when he left Thistle he was very complimentary to Thistle and wished us well. The extreme anti McNamara conduct by some Jags fans I find very boring and repetitive and the McNamara era needs to be put in context and placed firmly into the Thistle history books. Its done and dusted and lets all get on with the business of supporting the weirdest, frustrating, bizarre, ridiculous, unique, hilarious, most magnificent team on the globe.

Fair comment. There's some folk go over the top and want to re-write history. However the way he treated us would've been broadly unacceptable in most businesses but all too common in the industry that employs him. The very club he went to are noted for their cavalier approach to such practices.

Just the same it does no harm, maybe even a bit of good, to bang the drum on occasions and make the likes of McNamara and Thompson into panto villains. As way of example, altho' it was a reverse situation, when Davie McP left us the then Board would've been happy if we all believed he jumped ship. If we adopted a move along now nothing to see here attitude back then perhaps McParland might have been seen in a different light. instead of the true Jags hero he undoubtedly is, maybe more as a flawed hero who couldn't take the pressure or whatever.

For all the good management McNamara brought I would hate if in decades to come he was looked back as THE guy that got us promoted, with Archie just playing a bit part. If you use a snakes and ladders analogy McNamara took us from the fifties up a ladder to the say the eighties. When he left it was like we were swallowed by a snake and dropped down a level. Archie galvanised the troops and got us back up the board, surpassing where Jackie had reached, and got us all the way home.

btw I didn't use the snakes and ladders analogy simply because our ex manager behaved like one of the former. :)

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

If you use a snakes and ladders analogy McNamara took us from the fifties up a ladder to the say the eighties. When he left it was like we were swallowed by a snake and dropped down a level. Archie galvanised the troops and got us back up the board, surpassing where Jackie had reached, and got us all the way home. btw I didn't use the snakes and ladders analogy simply because our ex manager behaved like one of the former. :)

Nice analogy. How about in Monopoly, we were almost around the board for the last time but couldn't get out of jail, until Archie masterminded a way out...

Jackie developed a squad and ethos that got us playing great football - some of the best I've ever seen us play and better than what we play under Archie.

Archie got us winning and got us promotion; he's also kept us in the Premiership. This has required substituting some style for more substance.

If we still had Jackie I reckon we'd still be playing better football but probably in a lower division - we may have come up last season but we wouldn't have won the league in the season we did - Archie made that happen.

Personally I'm delighted with Archie - he has his faults but, being realistic, I can't think of who better there is out there. And it's refreshing having a proper Thistle legend in charge of the club.

However it should be recognised we won the league as a result of our own endeavours combined with the total collapse of Morton’s league form.

I don't think that's true. Between the draw at Cappilow (Archie's first game) and the win over Morton at Firhill we took 25 points out of 27. Morton took 15 out of 21. Five wins and two defeats. Hardly a collapse. I'd say we delivered the knock out blow ourselves that night at Firhill, took a five point lead with a game in hand, and they only collapsed after that.

• Like 3

Jackie developed a squad and ethos that got us playing great football - some of the best I've ever seen us play and better than what we play under Archie.

Archie got us winning and got us promotion; he's also kept us in the Premiership. This has required substituting some style for more substance.

McNamara had no pressure on him the way Archie has had over the last two seasons. His team could play freely and it was noticeable when some expectation were put on them to kick on (after we beat Dunfermiline) we started to stutter as teams worked out how to snuff us out.

For better or worse Archie has the team coping with increased pressure to win the first division and stay in this league. If this means we take a couple of rank performances and results then so be it.

Only Lambie in the last 30 years has managed to keep us up. At the moment Archie is on course for our best league finish in years - currently well clear of play offs and relegation spots.

Would McNamara have the stomach for a relegation scrap in this league with Archie's resources?

Edited by 1876Jag
  • Like 3

Darren Jackson was Jackie macs agent at the time, he set the deal up at least 2/3 weeks before we knew about it , don't think Archie was even considered for a coaching role .

McNamara took our club's assistant manager, our club's goalkeeping coach and attempted to take our club's physio'. He signed on pre contract our club's team captain and another who most would agree was our player of the season. Not then exactly outside the realms of possibility he might have wished to take our club's reserve team coach.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

McNamara took our club's assistant manager, our club's goalkeeping coach and attempted to take our club's physio'. He signed on pre contract our club's team captain and another who most would agree was our player of the season. Not then exactly outside the realms of possibility he might have wished to take our club's reserve team coach.

At the time Archie was still registered a player so might have been a bit more complex to sort out .

There was a lot of bile flying around after he left and took 2 players with him.

How do we all feel about him now.

My view:

• He put a great team and ethos in place for us
  • He left for a better league, bigger club and bigger wage (who wouldn't)
  • He took Erskine and Paton to make a success of his post

No hard feelings???

Na he's still a fckn wee wallaper!